Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 14:16   #1

Is Manson Supreme 45lbs an upgrade over original bruce 44lbs?

Any opinions are welcome.
Regards, Arjan
arjand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 14:23   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Is Manson Supreme 45lbs an upgrade over original bruce 44lbs?

I would give it a try. Keep the Bruce just in case. Much will depend on your area bottoms. Bruce is not best at cutting thru grass / weed. Probably my major objection with Bruce, but where we anchor there is hardly any weed.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 14:47   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I thought anchor threads were banned
Yes you will get much better holding power.
The only possible exception is a rock seabed or at a very short scope (say 2:1) where the Bruce does well.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 14:51   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Yes, based purely on what I read on here about the performance of the Manson. But based on my own experience of frequently getting dragged on by Bruce-anchored folks, and watching numerous others drag on by sometimes up onto reefs, I would say almost anything is an upgrade. The photo is of a boat dragging its Bruce up onto a reef in a 56-knot blow down in the San Blas.

Old 01-04-2011, 15:09   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

From all reports the Rocna/Manson Supreme anchors hold twice as well as the Bruce pound for pound. And from my experience the R/Ms set just as easy.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 16:15   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
On most bottoms, especially vegetated bottoms, the Manson will be far easier to set, and far more likely to reset itself without fouling. Once set, it will hold marginally better than the Bruce in sand, but far better in mud. If you have an original Bruce, it will probably outperform the Manson in rock. Of course, most of us try to avoid anchoring in rock whenever possible.
Old 01-04-2011, 16:34   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

An anchor thread where there is agreement. It must be an April 1 Joke.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 17:32   #8

Boat: 55' Romsdal

In that size, definitely. If it were a heavier Bruce the answer might not be quite as clear but that's not what we're talking about. I don't know if they would be available where you are, but I am very intrigued with the Excel from Anchorright in Australia. At least in the videos, it appears to take the Delta concept to the next level, with the added benefit of having the least destructive impact on the sea bed of any anchor I am aware of.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:10   #9

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Yes, Absolutly....
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:00   #10

Boat: Prout 46

The Manson website has a pretty good compliation of independent anchor tests performed over the last 5 years. It's a good source for information and comparisons of many different types and makes of anchors. Obviously Manson is only going to list the tests that were favorable to their anchor, but on the other hand, you would be hard pressed to find ANY tests that were favorable to the Bruce.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post

(...)

based on my own experience of frequently getting dragged on by Bruce-anchored folks, and watching numerous others drag on by sometimes up onto reefs, I would say almost anything is an upgrade

(...)
Place specific perhaps. Bruce is pretty good overall ban weed. We dragged once in 8 years but then again in a place that anything would drag.

But since Mason / Rocna / Spade / Brugel / (etc.) are supposed to be the better thing, sure let's have the better thing!

b.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:58   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
From all reports the Rocna/Manson Supreme anchors hold twice as well as the Bruce pound for pound. And from my experience the R/Ms set just as easy.

David
+1

Oh, yes. The improvement will be enormous.

Don't forget Spade in that group.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:01   #13

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Place specific perhaps. Bruce is pretty good overall ban weed. We dragged once in 8 years but then again in a place that anything would drag.
I bet your Bruce was grossly oversized and you know how to anchor. Folks like Dashew and Evans who also know how to anchor have figured out that the Bruce is pretty good for their needs if you go to one that is twice normal sized. There seems to be a real scale problem with the Bruce in that the smaller sizes just do not perform as well as the bigger ones. But, seriously, I have witnessed Bruce draggings in mud, sand, hard bottoms, and soft bottoms. I get paranoid if someone is anchored near me using a Bruce.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:49   #14

Quote:
I bet your Bruce was grossly oversized and you know how to anchor. Folks like Dashew and Evans who also know how to anchor have figured out that the Bruce is pretty good for their needs if you go to one that is twice normal sized. There seems to be a real scale problem with the Bruce in that the smaller sizes just do not perform as well as the bigger ones. But, seriously, I have witnessed Bruce draggings in mud, sand, hard bottoms, and soft bottoms. I get paranoid if someone is anchored near me using a Bruce.
Get rid of that paranoia right away! ;-)

Do you really believe anybody would anchor a multimillion dollar worth of oil rig with anything less than a good anchor?

Alas, you are right to say that the sizes given in some Bruce / knock-off recommendations may be too small. Our own anchor is one size up (33% up the chart).

As far as 'knowing how to anchor' goes, I would recommend it to anybody - Manson, Bruce or Grappnel. I would also recommend knowing how to sail to anybody going sailing! ;-)

b.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:12   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Folks like Dashew and Evans who also know how to anchor have figured out that the Bruce is pretty good for their needs if you go to one that is twice normal sized.
Dashew went to a Rocna some years ago and swears by it.

It's oversized just like his Bruce was. I think whatever anchor design you have, it pays to make it as big as your windlass can possibly wrestle on board. I think most people who anchor out a lot tend to choose an anchor a size or two bigger than recommended.

Therefore, the OP might consider not a 45 lb., but a 60 lb. or even 80 lb. Supreme, if it will fit in his bow roller.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote