Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2023, 16:09   #31

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Identify this anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
The delta...CQR...ultra...and many other variations all have that similar "plough" type shape. Some variations off course. Identical....no...similar...yes.

Did it originate from the CQR...who knows...clone .....evolution.....???......but the CQR predates them all...

Mind you...my experience with anchors goes back almost 40 years.....newbies to the sailing game have probably never seen a CQR...
Yep and a Ford GT40 is a clone of a Model T!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 16:47   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

if you say so....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 18:09   #33

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Smaller version of these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Salmon anchor2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	271560
Old 14-02-2023, 08:16   #34

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post

The best anchor test is SV Panope on YouTube. Here’s the Delta test. It scored near the bottom.
Another good overview video where he ranks all the anchors he tested is here:

One really important note about his tests is that the majority of them are done in mud or soft mud bottoms, whereas the vast majority of anchorages in popular tropical cruising grounds are sandy.

The Delta does score in the bottom 5, but the Rocna is dead last in his testing, and the majority of cruising boats I saw were carrying Rocnas, which is interesting.

I carried a Delta on my last boat, and it only dragged once in my 2.5 year cruise. That was in 60kts of veering wind in probably a muddy bottom. The rest of the time it performed great.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 16:14   #35

Thank you team.

>>>That’s Fred, I’d know him anywhere.<<<
Actually, I had already called it "Bob"

Team Delta was correct. Noelex77 thank you for the detailed description.

Indeed it is a True Lewmar Delta 25kg anchor as evidenced by the raised triangle (that I never looked at).

Indestructible? Not when you run into a piling attempting the easiest docking in the world (Dismal Swamp). Managed to bend it and detach the support bar. Thus the reason I took it off the boat for welding and galvanized 'painting'.

And thank you for the additional input on its pros & cons.

The primary anchor is a 33kg Rocna. I appreciate there are likely some better ones and I have been overwhelmed by the amount of data collected.

We are new, but on our first full fledged journey. Just motored (sailed some) from Norfolk to St. Augustine, FL. Likely we are going to be able to cross over to the Bahamas (trekking back to MI for 10 days, then we return). Could not have don so with out the opinion, tips, and advice I have gleaned here.

Truly appreciate you input.
KneadingWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 17:05   #36

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
Another good overview video where he ranks all the anchors he tested is here:

One really important note about his tests is that the majority of them are done in mud or soft mud bottoms, whereas the vast majority of anchorages in popular tropical cruising grounds are sandy.

The Delta does score in the bottom 5, but the Rocna is dead last in his testing, and the majority of cruising boats I saw were carrying Rocnas, which is interesting.

I carried a Delta on my last boat, and it only dragged once in my 2.5 year cruise. That was in 60kts of veering wind in probably a muddy bottom. The rest of the time it performed great.
Ryban,

My video that you linked is now over one year old, and while it is not quite 'obsolete', it has been superceded by numerous more current offerings.

What's different is the addition of several new seabeds that have changed the big picture quite a bit (at least in my view). Among other significant findings, is that the Rollbar Rocna is a much more 'well rounded' performer than the earlier testing suggested.

I cannot agree more with idea that the seabeds in my testing area (PNW) are likely completely different than tropical areas. As always, I encourage people to reference other person's experience and/or testing for those areas.

Here is a more recent compilation of my work:
https://youtu.be/dn--nVdnZyQ
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 18:44   #37

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
[. . .] Here is a more recent compilation of my work:
https://youtu.be/dn--nVdnZyQ

Thanks Panope for your precious contributions!
Old 17-02-2023, 06:35   #38

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

This or similar Delta copy:
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/gen3...e-plow-anchor/
Ulstue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 06:43   #39

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

It is definitely a Delta or knockoff. I used one for about 18 years. Holds excellent in sand and firm bottoms. Only drawback is that it does not hold exceptionally well in soft mud. I"m in an area where there is soft mud everywhere and switched to a Rochna. Much better than the Delta in the soft mud. I'd keep that as a secondary and get a more modern anchor for the primary.
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 06:44   #40

[QUOTE=KneadingWater;3742749

This is a photo of our secondary anchor for a 2005 IP420.
What is the anchor type (and from there I can learn about what it is best used for).

.[/QUOTE]

We have the same boat, 2001 IP420, and that looks like the same anchor that was being used as the primary by the PO. We believe ours was a delta knockoff. The secondary was a Bruce. It held with ideal bottom in 30+ knot winds but didn’t want to trust it. We replaced it with Rocna 33 and have a mantus as our secondary but have yet to test either in any sort of adverse conditions.
bsousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 06:52   #41

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

When folks do this kind of testing, it should have quotes. There is no control over bottom quality, current or tide changes, to name two. I remember someone claiming they had “tested” the drag of rotating vs fixed prop while sailing with their own boat. Their conclusion violated one of the most basic principles of fluid dynamics.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 07:43   #42

Boat: Catalina 30

That was the anchor we used to send Luca Brasi to "sleep with the fishes"...

Musta washed ashore some how, ya know....
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 08:14   #43

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

The Delta is one of the best for cobble or coarse gravel, acceptable in sand, useless in mud.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 09:03   #44

All of the above anchors are cloned or improved versions of the CQR. When you think about how long the CQR has been about, it is a big compliment to it. My opinion anyway.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 09:41   #45

Boat: Haida 26 "Running Scared"

I think your anchor is a Chinese Delta knock-off that works poorly. They left out the lead weight that brings the tip down to bite. Without the lead weight it will just drag sideways. Been there done that. Will NOT set. Try short scope with upwards pull to get it started. Better: get rid of it.
Michael Conway-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor