Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2016, 20:18   #46

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis
Re: How much working load does my anchor chain need?

Dyneema is hydrophobic, does not get "wet" ..but yes the chain will still rust without zinc protection, but so far nothing unusual.

Snubber can be hooked into the chain..as per usual.
sailabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 20:45   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailabroad View Post
Im experimenting with threading dyneema through the chain to add some redundancy to the welded chain links we have
I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. The chain certainly doesn't need any help from the line. Proper technique is to attach with a 8-9 link splice. Protecting the line from chafe is a very good idea and you can wrap/weave some material (not water-absorbing canvas) around the splice.

I don't anchor in coral here (all the coral is dead - water temp is 93 degrees) but we have sharp limestone. Similar situation.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 21:00   #48

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Dyneema is hydrophobic, does not get "wet" ..but yes the chain will still rust without zinc protection, but so far nothing unusual.

Snubber can be hooked into the chain..as per usual.
True, but the salt crystals remain and tend to stay damp. Another issue is that I dont really think the two materials are likely to "play together" all that well, as in more load is likely to go onbthe chain or the dyneema. Its going to be hard for them to share the load evenly across different loads due to different elongation under load.
Old 16-08-2016, 12:56   #49

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis

Yea.. load balancing might be problematic

I am hoping the chain will act like a huge rope brake which will dynamically distribute load between chain and dyneema, but yea balancing across 2 semi-static systems is difficult.

What am I trying to achieve? You mean nothing is broken so don't fix it? I see it a bit more like , change, testing, innovation, trying new ideas out, might not work!!
sailabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 16:19   #50

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Im experimenting with threading dyneema through the chain to add some redundancy to the welded chain links we have( picture for reference our chain is on the bottom)

We don't have the full length yet but if it lasts might move to a smaller chain with the dyneema threaded the full length..it goes through the windlass fine and is incrediby strong, the chain protects the dyneema from coral.
Dang sailabroad, that's some outside-the-box ****! Snowpetrel raises some good points concerning corrosion and differences in stretch. On the other hand, if you think of the dyneema as the rode and the chain as chafe protection you may be onto something. On the other, other hand, unless the chain breaks, the dyneema never comes into play, and chain rarely breaks. Still, I like the way you think.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, loa