Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2023, 14:58   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)
How much anchor is too much anchor?

Given the increasing energy in storms these days , I'm pondering a bigger anchor.
There's a guy offering me a 33kg (72 lbs) CQR
Price is comparable to much lighter anchors.
I have a Corbin 39' (weighs in at 26,000 lbs Accor to a recent lift).
I have a MarkII with a 2' bowsprit, so I could mount it, but 75lb at the bow seems about 25 over
That is a lot of anchor.

Thoughts?
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 15:31   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: How much anchor is too much anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post
Given the increasing energy in storms these days , I'm pondering a bigger anchor.

I have a MarkII with a 2' bowsprit, so I could mount it, but 75lb at the bow seems about 25 over

That is a lot of anchor.

Thoughts?
There's a reason the big CQR is going at a reduced price....

Many here (including me) will suggest you look at a better, more modern anchor (e.g., Mantus, Excel, Rocna, Vulcan....).
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 15:54   #3

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

I too have a Corbin 39. I have anchored in St Maarten with several hurricanes with a 55 lb CQR successfully. ( I think about 10 and Ivan in Grenada) The worst hurricane I was in was Luis in 96, After the eye passed I was riding on a 30 lb hi tensil Danforth because of the change in wind direction. . The Fortress I had was basically worthless, I forget the size rating but it was pysically much bigger than the danforth. Don't write off true CQRs, they may be old fashioned but pencils and pens still work also.
Old 31-05-2023, 16:57   #4

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

There is an old rule of thumb for sizing anchors:

1. Buy an anchor
2. Put it on your bow
3. wait
4. If no one laughs, return anchor
5. Buy a bigger anchor
6. go to 2 until laughing occurs
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 17:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

These anchor threads are a bit like what's your favorite color...

72 lbs sounds good....but wait till you try to pull it up, together with another 100 odd pounds of chain..you'll do it once and think....wtf was I thinking....I'd say fugetaboutit....price might sound good, but not suitable for your boat..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 17:38   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The CQR is worth what someone is willing to pay you to haul it off their property. Do yourself a favor, get an appropriately sized new gen anchor and be done.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 17:47   #7

Boat: Southcoast 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The CQR is worth what someone is willing to pay you to haul it off their property. Do yourself a favor, get an appropriately sized new gen anchor and be done.
What he said.

A PO put a Manson Supreme on our 36'. When you plug our dimensions into their calculator, ours is the next size up from recommended. Dragged maybe twice in heavy weed which is tough for most anchors. If we are in sand or mud never moves an inch.

I like my sleep and don't want to be worrying about an anchor.
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 17:48   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

PatM I have a 45lb Lewmar Delta on our 32 foot yacht. I got it really cheap so that made the decision for me.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 17:53   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

There are many practical advantages for a cruising boat selecting an anchor using the “Bigger is better” rule rather than using the “Small is adequate” philosophy, but the anchor should be a size that it can be comfortably managed. Perhaps owners of similar boats can provide some helpful comments, but it depends on other factors such as the size and length of the chain (there is usually far more weight in the chain than in the anchor itself) and the size of your windlass etc, so ultimately this is something you need to decide or trial for yourself.

There are better anchors available these days than a CQR. The CQR works well in good substrates such as medium mud, but struggles in more difficult seabeds. The large size will help the performance, but I think you find you will be wanting to upgrade in the near future. If you are determined to select a CQR they can often be found at no cost from owners who are upgrading.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 18:11   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
PatM I have a 45lb Lewmar Delta on our 32 foot yacht. I got it really cheap so that made the decision for me.

Cheers

I had good luck with the Deltas and they have a fond place in my heart, but cheap shouldn’t enter into the equation of purchasing what could be the best insurance you could own?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 18:27   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I get it though...

Every once in a while, a deal comes by and makes you think.....dang, that's a good price.

Happens often to me, I'll see something at a great price, making me want to reach for my wallet, and then I think....what am I going to do with...where do I put it....etc.....and reluctantly...often very reluctantly...I know I have to move on..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 19:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post
That is a lot of anchor.

Thoughts?
The first question would have to be what do you have now? And how do you use your boat? Are you anchored all the time in remote places where you have to take what weather you get? Or are you an occasional cruiser anchoring on vacation weekends?

It's not an absolute given that a CQR that is heavier than your current anchor will be an improvement...
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 19:52   #13

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)

Thanks for your input everyone. I kind of knew while writing the post that the size was overkill...price was so low, actually just the chain and rode are attractive at the price... Cheers.
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 22:23   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
I too have a Corbin 39. I have anchored in St Maarten with several hurricanes with a 55 lb CQR successfully. ( I think about 10 and Ivan in Grenada) The worst hurricane I was in was Luis in 96, After the eye passed I was riding on a 30 lb hi tensil Danforth because of the change in wind direction. . The Fortress I had was basically worthless, I forget the size rating but it was pysically much bigger than the danforth. Don't write off true CQRs, they may be old fashioned but pencils and pens still work also.
Probably a 35H, but note how well the Danforth performs in one direction. Danforth advertises the 35H can hold 3800#.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 13:25   #15

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Wait until 2am when the wind is howling, visibility is zero, and the boat is about as stable as a ping-pong ball being shaken in a shoe box. Now convince yourself that saving money by buying the CQR that someone else no longer wanted was a wise decision. Maybe it won't drag that far - maybe it will dig in again before we . . .
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor