Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2024, 04:46   #106

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: How many anchors do you carry?

Quote:
Indeed. Nearly exactly what happened to us, in Nassau harbour, three decade ago.
A commercial fishing boat, departing [just after midnight] picked up my marker buoy line, stalling his prop’, and tripping my anchor.
Nearly the same thing happened to some friends of mine anchored inside Manasquan Inlet in New Jersey. They woke up suddenly in the middle of the night as their boat began to move. They both rushed up to the deck in the nude and were suddenly illuminated by a giant spotlight from the fishing trawler that had snagged their anchor float. Luckily or unluckily the line popped free and now they were reanchored in the middle of the channel. After some frantic running around and maneuvering they got reanchored. After that they kept some old junk onboard that they tossed overboard as the anchor went down. Their anchor float was tied to the junk so if someone snagged it they would only be dragging the junk, but I still don't think that is a good thing to do. Knock on wood, but I have never experienced a stuck anchor I couldn't retrieve without a float and trip line.
Old 29-03-2024, 04:55   #107

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Stick with the danforth in my experience the steel danforth digs in faster and deeper than the aluminum of the fortress .
We did just this. Sold the FX16 still in its box and replaced it with a galv Danforth about 18lbs. Light enough to run around the deck with, but big enough to hold us in most conditions we will encounter.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 05:21   #108

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Knock on wood, but I have never experienced a stuck anchor I couldn't retrieve without a float and trip line.
I've come close to losing my anchor at least a 1/2-dozen times over the past years. I've been hooked on trees, a cable and other unknown debris. But by far, the most common cause has simply been an anchor dug so deep that it was nearly impossible to retrieve. But in all cases, I did get it back.

Ironically, or perhaps just amusingly, in all these events of near-loss, I'd not deployed my trip line prior to the event.
Old 29-03-2024, 05:54   #109

Quote:
Stick with the danforth in my experience the steel danforth digs in faster and deeper than the aluminum of the fortress .
I have not found this to be the case, at least for size FX23 and up. The very sharp flukes (be careful!) of the Fortress just slice right into the bottom. Though I do prefer a small steel Danforth for the dinghy since it gets rusty pretty quickly and looks rather nasty, making it less of a theft target than an expensive Fortress. Plus, the lighter weight of a Fortress for the same size means you can swim the anchor out when needed, which I have done many times with the FX23s.
Old 29-03-2024, 06:39   #110

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I've had enough setting failures (in tests and real world anchoring) with small Fortesss (FX-16, FX-23) that I no longer carry these aboard. For a lightweight, rowable/walkable anchor I now carry a 10kg. Viking, instead.

On the other hand, the collosal Fortress FX-85 has been a reliable setter (used as a dead-man in many tests). It is stored down below/disassembled for armageddon. It will likely never be used in anger.

I believe the difference between my (bad) experience and Kettlewell's (good) experience is on account of differences in seabed consistencies (PNW vs. East Coast N.America).

Another factor that might explain the difference, is our generally deeper anchorages and the inability to have really long scope. I have found that the Fortress recommend 5:1 is marginal (unless long chains are used).
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:05   #111

Great input from all and a topic I'm currently trying to figure out as well. I just bought a new 77 lb Ultra for main, with 60 feet of 1/2" Cromox SS chain and 250' of 3/4" 8-Plait. I was going to retire my previous main 45 lb CQR with 30 ft galvanized chain and 250 ft 1/2" double braid, but am wondering if I should keep it as a back up. I also have a 37 lb Fortress and an old 45 lb galvanzied Danforth which I'd like to change out for a easier to store Viking anchor. I'm stuck as to if I should keep the CQR around as a companion to the Fortress or not...
sealandsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:49   #112

Quote:
I believe the difference between my (bad) experience and Kettlewell's (good) experience is on account of differences in seabed consistencies (PNW vs. East Coast N.America).

Another factor that might explain the difference, is our generally deeper anchorages and the inability to have really long scope. I have found that the Fortress recommend 5:1 is marginal (unless long chains are used).
Typical anchoring here on the East Coast is either mud, sand, or sometimes grassy mud or sand, and I very rarely anchor in more than 20 feet of water--usually around 10-15 feet, or less. The Chesapeake has its extra gelatinous muddy ooze that is a special problem. Sometimes the Fortress works well there if you can get it to penetrate and dive down to better holding, but then you will have a problem getting it up along with many pounds of black, stinky ooze.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:34   #113

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealandsky View Post
Great input from all and a topic I'm currently trying to figure out as well. I just bought a new 77 lb Ultra for main, with 60 feet of 1/2" Cromox SS chain and 250' of 3/4" 8-Plait. I was going to retire my previous main 45 lb CQR with 30 ft galvanized chain and 250 ft 1/2" double braid, but am wondering if I should keep it as a back up. I also have a 37 lb Fortress and an old 45 lb galvanzied Danforth which I'd like to change out for a easier to store Viking anchor. I'm stuck as to if I should keep the CQR around as a companion to the Fortress or not...
If it were me I'd let the CQR go. Your 45 lb Danforth sounds like a standard which claims to hold 2000lb. The Danforth 35H claims to hold 3800lbs. If I had a 40 or 50 foot boat, I'd have the 35H somewhere aboard. The Downeast 38 I used to sail had a 45lb CQR and a 35H. I found the 35H more reliable.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:40   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealandsky View Post
Keep the CQR as a backup / that specific condition nothing else works. After all you already own it
Old 23-04-2024, 09:50   #115

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Keep the CQR as a backup / that specific condition nothing else works. After all you already own it
What I see in this thread that a lot of cruisers here have several old style anchor as main and as backup…well as ballast on mono deep down ok but if you have a weight sensitive cat 3 is the most sensefull answer and I would change them at least 2 to new style anchor who have much more holding power on all grounds with same or less weight.
Suggest to take an as big fluke area main one new design one as you can fit on your bow roller that works well on all bottoms like top3 of Panopes anchor tests. A 2nd backup new design too that is sized weight sensitive to hold your vessel in 40kn of wind. That 2nd you can always use in tandem with your main for the worst conditions possible or as backup, here eg a Viking is on top of your list as it works well on all bottoms, you can also take it apart for storage and is also lighter then others. The 3rd is your rear anchor that can also be a different design for one purpose eg a danforth. The 2nd backup can also be rear anchor if the vessel is not to big.
On really big ones sure you have space and also the need for a 4th or even 5th anchor.
If you have one of the top3 old designs as old main and that worked well, it makes sense to keep it as backup but if you have cqr and other down on the list get rid of it and buy a proper new design backup that eg works as rear anchor too would be my choice.

Panopes anchor overview really opened my eyes here, the new design work on all or nearly all bottoms and with same weight have even up to double holding power. Also when he tested different weight classes in parallel and half the weight performed better then old designs. So one new design anchor covers what 3 old design ones needed and that often for a significant weight reduction or for the same sizes nearly double holding power.
It also raises the bar significantly to have the best fitting anchor for the bottom you are facing.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2024, 12:52   #116

Rivet, you can’t be an expert in everything, today you have responded to more than 85% of the new posts. Let’s leave the anchoring advice to Panope and the others. You can be the expert for LTO Batteries ok. Otherwise you spread confusion and uncertainty.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2024, 13:26   #117
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
What I see in this thread that a lot of cruisers here have several old style anchor as main and as backup…well as ballast on mono deep down ok but if you have a weight sensitive cat 3 is the most sensefull answer and I would change them at least 2 to new style anchor who have much more holding power on all grounds with same or less weight.
Suggest to take an as big fluke area main one new design one as you can fit on your bow roller that works well on all bottoms like top3 of Panopes anchor tests. A 2nd backup new design too that is sized weight sensitive to hold your vessel in 40kn of wind. That 2nd you can always use in tandem with your main for the worst conditions possible or as backup, here eg a Viking is on top of your list as it works well on all bottoms, you can also take it apart for storage and is also lighter then others. The 3rd is your rear anchor that can also be a different design for one purpose eg a danforth. The 2nd backup can also be rear anchor if the vessel is not to big.
On really big ones sure you have space and also the need for a 4th or even 5th anchor.
If you have one of the top3 old designs as old main and that worked well, it makes sense to keep it as backup but if you have cqr and other down on the list get rid of it and buy a proper new design backup that eg works as rear anchor too would be my choice.

Panopes anchor overview really opened my eyes here, the new design work on all or nearly all bottoms and with same weight have even up to double holding power. Also when he tested different weight classes in parallel and half the weight performed better then old designs. So one new design anchor covers what 3 old design ones needed and that often for a significant weight reduction or for the same sizes nearly double holding power.
It also raises the bar significantly to have the best fitting anchor for the bottom you are facing.
Your advice comes from reading Steve's charts on what anchors work best . Let the pro here do the talking .
Here is one of the results charts .

Thanks Steve

Any that want to deep six their CQR in the pnw let me know i will take it . Even pay you a buck a pound .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220206-103332_YouTube.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	289182  
Old 23-04-2024, 13:37   #118

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:

Most important limiting factor choosing the main anchor is the size, not weight. What the Panopes and most tests seem to omit.. Choose the biggest anchor fitting your bow roller and some "old" designs work equally well..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2024, 15:22   #119

Boat: Crowther 10 Catamaran

Quote:
but if you have a weight sensitive cat 3 is the most sensefull answer
I agree and I'm trying to work out my anchor selection based on weight (catamaran) and likely anchoring situations. I'll be sailing in Indonesia so replacing an anchor is difficult though if I lose one. They do make some interesting designs out of rebar.

I've chosen a Sarca Excel, CQR, and Danforth (which may become a Fortress) so far. All could work as primary anchors. I've got a spare CQR and a Fishermans anchor sitting in my shed at the moment.
Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2024, 16:03   #120
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins View Post
I agree and I'm trying to work out my anchor selection based on weight (catamaran) and likely anchoring situations. I'll be sailing in Indonesia so replacing an anchor is difficult though if I lose one. They do make some interesting designs out of rebar.

I've chosen a Sarca Excel, CQR, and Danforth (which may become a Fortress) so far. All could work as primary anchors. I've got a spare CQR and a Fishermans anchor sitting in my shed at the moment.
Stick with the Danforth pound for pound they outperform the fortress.

Tags
anchor