Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2022, 06:35   #1
Marine Service Provider
 
Izikalvo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Mediterranean
Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Posts: 153
Viking anchors-the next level

Following the results we are getting from boaters using our anchors all over, in many kinds of seabeds and conditions, we have decided to try and make our anchors design even better.


For a few months now we are working on a new anchor design that keeps the advantages of our current design (fluke size, fluke/shackle angle, and weight) adding to it a few more advantages, We do not intend to stop making our current design anchors, we are making a different design.

The new design will have the ability to be used with or without a rollbar.
It will have the option of using it as a concave or convex shape anchor.
It will have a perfect self-launching ability.
It will lock itself on the bow roller when not in use.
It will be treated with a Thermo Difusion Galvanising system known as Armorgalv which was developed in Israel 20 years ago, an eco-friendly treatment with many advantages over the Hot Deep Galvaning systems that are commonly used today.

The general design is mostly done and soon we will start testings the first made samples.

There is still a long way ahead, we hope to be ready with the first anchors out of the production line for tests at the beginning of the next sailing season in the northern hemisphere.

So why i am publishing it here?

There are many people in this forum that have so much knowledge and experience at sea, that there might be something we didn't see, and we will love to hear about it.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	viking odin 1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	264581   Click image for larger version

Name:	viking odin 2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	264582  

Izikalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 06:22   #2
Marine Service Provider
 
Izikalvo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Mediterranean
Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Posts: 153
Thumbs up Re: Viking anchors-the next level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izikalvo View Post
Following the results we are getting from boaters using our anchors all over, in many kinds of seabeds and conditions, we have decided to try and make our anchors design even better.


For a few months now we are working on a new anchor design that keeps the advantages of our current design (fluke size, fluke/shackle angle, and weight) adding to it a few more advantages, We do not intend to stop making our current design anchors, we are making a different design.

The new design will have the ability to be used with or without a rollbar.
It will have the option of using it as a concave or convex shape anchor.
It will have a perfect self-launching ability.
It will lock itself on the bow roller when not in use.
It will be treated with a Thermo Difusion Galvanising system known as Armorgalv which was developed in Israel 20 years ago, an eco-friendly treatment with many advantages over the Hot Deep Galvaning systems that are commonly used today.

The general design is mostly done and soon we will start testings the first made samples.

There is still a long way ahead, we hope to be ready with the first anchors out of the production line for tests at the beginning of the next sailing season in the northern hemisphere.

So why i am publishing it here?

There are many people in this forum that have so much knowledge and experience at sea, that there might be something we didn't see, and we will love to hear about it.

Thank you.
As for the progress of the new anchor design:
After spending many hours and lots of effort we gave up on making it dual purpose anchor Ie. roll bred and no roll bar anchor, and convexed and concaved anchor.

Here is the new shape of the anchor, non-ballast no roll bar lightweight HT carbon steel made anchor.

Starting another phase of testing soon.

We will update

For those of you that are waiting, the new batch of the V1 anchors has finally left Ukrain passing the border to Hungary, we should have them in our warehouse in Brussels in one week or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Odin 10.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	267766  
Izikalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 06:43   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Rochester, NY
Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Posts: 5,020
Re: Viking anchors-the next level

As always, it's good to see an anchor manufacturer constantly experimenting, looking at real-world results and trying to make a better anchor. I'll be curious to see how this turns out once it's out in the real world and has been tried in a variety of situations.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 07:34   #4
Registered User

Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 760
Re: Viking anchors-the next level

Strikes me as a design philosophy without a customer.

Maybe there are cruising boats who have anchors small enough to lift on deck to reconfigure on a whim, but my anchor weighs 105lb (48kg). It is not going to be transformed from concave to convex, or have a roll bar added or removed…ever.

There are lots of anchor manufacturers selling anchors with and with out roll bars, and with convex or concave geometry. Why would there be any benefit to the user to switch back and forth?
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 08:00   #5
Registered User
 
pcmm's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Whitby, Canada
Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Posts: 2,036
Images: 2
Re: Viking anchors-the next level

Hmm, interesting...Looks almost identical to a Mantus M1 with only minor differences in the shape of the shank.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 08:01   #6
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 17,342
Images: 19
Re: Viking anchors-the next level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
Maybe there are cruising boats who have anchors small enough to lift on deck to reconfigure on a whim, but my anchor weighs 105lb (48kg). It is not going to be transformed from concave to convex, or have a roll bar added or removedÖever.
I carry my anchor in one hand, it's about the same weight as my dinghy outboard. Hmm interesting thought, forget boat length and weight, just scale anchors to your outboard size.

Anyway, perhaps they have produced a better mouse trap

Would be interesting to see side by side testing with observers to see if convex or concave produces better results in say 3 or 4 common bottom conditions.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 08:06   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Rochester, NY
Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Posts: 5,020
Re: Viking anchors-the next level

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Hmm, interesting...Looks almost identical to a Mantus M1 with only minor differences in the shape of the shank.

The existing Viking design is very similar to an M1, but with a different shank shape and different shank attachment point on the fluke (and a few other minor differences I think). It does show different performance in testing, so those differences definitely matter.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 04:11   #8
Marine Service Provider
 
Izikalvo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Mediterranean
Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Posts: 153
Re: Viking anchors-the next level

Odin 10 toe tests in progress
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Odin 10 toe test photo.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	271200  
Izikalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:30   #9
cruiser

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fairfield Harbour, New Bern, NC
Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Posts: 1,322
Images: 1
Re: Viking anchors-the next level

There's credit to be given for experimentation, but sailors have been doing it for centuries, and they will probably finish up with a CQR.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:48   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Rochester, NY
Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Posts: 5,020
Re: Viking anchors-the next level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
There's credit to be given for experimentation, but sailors have been doing it for centuries, and they will probably finish up with a CQR.

Seriously? There are numerous anchor designs that available at this point that have been tested and shown to outperform a CQR in the vast majority of situations.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 05:02   #11
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 16,839
Images: 2
Re: Viking anchors-the next level

What is the notch in the back of the shank in the frist set of pics for?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 16:18   #12
cruiser

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fairfield Harbour, New Bern, NC
Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Posts: 1,322
Images: 1
Re: Viking anchors-the next level

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Seriously? There are numerous anchor designs that available at this point that have been tested and shown to outperform a CQR in the vast majority of situations.
I understand that, and Iíve used a few in my time, but many of them are solid welded things, and impossible to stow on a bowsprit with twin rollers like my boat has. I once bent the sank of a 55lb CQR at 45 degrees, but it held. I donít think some ĹĒ thick plate, welded to a scoop would have withstood that force.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 16:24   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Rochester, NY
Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Posts: 5,020
Re: Viking anchors-the next level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I understand that, and Iíve used a few in my time, but many of them are solid welded things, and impossible to stow on a bowsprit with twin rollers like my boat has. I once bent the sank of a 55lb CQR at 45 degrees, but it held. I donít think some ĹĒ thick plate, welded to a scoop would have withstood that force.

Trying to fit 2 anchors on the bow is a challenge with most designs unless the roller layout is really carefully thought out. Personally, I'd rather have a better anchor on the bow and others elsewhere than have 2 less good ones on the bow.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 16:33   #14
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: TRT 1200
Posts: 6,901
Re: Viking anchors-the next level

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Trying to fit 2 anchors on the bow is a challenge with most designs unless the roller layout is really carefully thought out. Personally, I'd rather have a better anchor on the bow and others elsewhere than have 2 less good ones on the bow.


Funny, as on another anchoring thread I thought to myself, only thing worse than a boat with a CQR on the bow is a boat with 2 CQRís on the bow........
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anchor

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experience with Viking anchors ? soly2 Anchoring & Mooring 18 03-01-2022 17:54
Is the level of crowding up and the level of seamanship down post COVID lockdown?t thinwater Seamanship & Boat Handling 19 01-06-2020 17:19
vetus waterlock-how level is level? Halifax Sailor Engines and Propulsion Systems 0 15-07-2016 05:56
For Sale: Anchors , Anchors and More Anchors MermaidLil Classifieds Archive 11 19-01-2012 10:28

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.