Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2016, 09:55   #1

Fine tuning a manual anchor windlass

So I upsized my ground tackle and installed a used manual anchor windlass (Lofrans type) this year. The gypsy is bronze, held on a shaft with a three-winged nut to tighten to allow raising or loosen to allow the chain to feed out. Problem is that as you loosed the nut, it suddenly changes from locked to free fall, and it would be desirable to have it gradually loosen to allow you to control the rate of fall. There is a conical surface between the inner surface of the gypsy and the inner ring (which is keyed to the shaft). Any advice on what I should do to make the gypsy slip in a controlled manner? Would a polished surface on the cones be better, or sandblasted, or some other finish? Thoughts?

Terry Ney
ComPac 27 "SV Paradiso"
tney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 10:21   #2

Re: Fine tuning a manual anchor windlass

Many windlasses can be very tricky going rapidly from locked to free fall. Very fine adjustments are necessary for sure. You could disassemble the gypsy and clutches and make sure they are clean. Maybe read an operators manual if you have one or find it on line.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 10:52   #3

Unfortunately it's an obsolete windlass so no manual is available. It's very similar in design and construction to a Lofrans Royale, in fact that is what I thought it was when I bought it. The clutch surface is bronze on bronze and tapered, with no friction material in between. I have had it apart and cleaned it thoroughly. I'm wondering if a rougher finish on the clutch surfaces might help?
Old 30-09-2016, 11:11   #4

Trying to think back on my manual windlasses. If the surfaces are smooth, and look good. I might try a very light coating of waterproof grease. or Lubriplate would be nice maybe. just hand rubbed on.
Frictional contact holds until it suddenly breaks free, my theory is the grease will allow for a smoother transition. IIRC, I used some lithium grease on my SL windlass back in the day with the same problems.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 12:21   #5

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

Yup, thats it. Dissassemble-Clean - and then Grease!!

Repeat whenever it doesnt Run smoothly again.

I wonder if windlasses aren't the most neglected piece of gear on boats.... Though there are several competitors
Old 30-09-2016, 14:24   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

My experience with such clutches is that if you don't grease t hem they tend to stick and not release at all, or release suddenly as you describe. Maxwell suggests light greasing, and it cures those problems. however, it also limits the amount of torque that the clutch will transmit, and it will slip. Hard to find a happy medium...

My feeling is that windlasses with clutches of larger diameter than Maxwell's do better. I don't know anything about Lofrans specifically.

One t hing that might help is to use some valve grinding paste and lap the surfaces of the cones together, eliminating any high spots developed over its life. After lapping, clean up carefullly, do the light grease t hing and give it a try. Can't hurt, might help!

Jim
Old 30-09-2016, 16:32   #7

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

yep, seems counterintuitive but grease is required on the cone - my manual muir hercules has a (well greased) cone, never had any problem controlling the rate of fall. Its not friction that controls it, it's pressure.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 15:46   #8

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

yup clean it and grease it. I usually loosen the clutch a little and give it a nudge with my foot by placing it on top of the gypsy and diving a shove. Other wise I have to turn the clutch back once it breaks loose and runs too fast.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 15:40   #9

Thanks for all the replies! I will try greasing the clutch surfaces. Not having instructions, I just put the clutch and gypsy together clean and dry. That's easily corrected.

Terry Ney
ComPac 27 "SV Paradiso"
Old 03-10-2016, 21:41   #10

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I am surprised that any winch still in common enough use to generate responses is so obsolete as to make the manual unavailable. Someone should have it
-perhaps even a successor to the original manufacturer- even if it is a PDF or JPG copy. Search, search, search and ask, ask, ask. Good luck, do not lose any parts, measure, and take lots of photos, and I mean lots, during every stage of the removal and disassembly process.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:48   #11

So far, extensive internet searching has come up with one picture of this windlass. The manufacturer is Leroy Somer. A quick Google search for that manufacturer showed that it is a French company, is a part of Emerson Corp, and makes electric motors. I contacted them a while back and was told bluntly that they no longer are in the windlass business. If anybody has a manual for this windlass, I'd love to get a copy.

I took the windlass apart, cleaned it, repainted the case, and re-assembled it. It works well, other than the issue of the rate of chain fall, which should be correctable with the suggestions from this forum.

I've attached a picture of the windlass. At first glance it resembles a Lofrans Royale, but there are differences, especially in how it comes apart.

Thanks again for all the responses and great information.

Terry Ney
ComPac 27 "SV Paradiso"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leroy-Somer-Yacht-Anchor-Windlass-Manual.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	132291  

Tags
anchor, wind, windlass