Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2021, 09:59   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Extending Anchor Chain

Hello:

The boat I just got is heavy. About 28,000 pounds. The previous owner only had 75 feet of chain then a 200 foot rope. The rope is old and needs to be replaced. I am thinking 75 feet of chain just is not enough for such a heavy boat. In the perfect world I would like to have 250-300 feet of chain. I know it is best to have solid chain, but I am considering using a connection link to extend the existing chain. Does anyone have any experience with that? Part of me thinks there might a connection link out there that is just as strong as the existing chain or stronger.

Thanks....
Old 17-09-2021, 10:04   #2

Re: Extending Anchor Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonM View Post
I am thinking 75 feet of chain just is not enough for such a heavy boat.
Just to be clear..

Anchor and Chain Size, is dictated by the boat size and weight.

Chain Length, is dictated by the depth of the water you're anchoring in.

What are the average depths you intend on anchoring in?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 10:14   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Shrew's got it. Details: The 75 feet of chain protects against chaffing on the bottom and supplies some spring by being lifted and then let down with the motion of the boat. It helps the anchor set and stay set. The 200 feet of (usually) nylon supplies massive elasticity, since nylon stretches 30% before breaking. The previous owner had a good setup. In your case, 5/16" G40 chain and 3/4" three strand nylon should do it.

But there are some advantages to all chain, and that's what I do. 250 feet of chain replicates some of the elasticity, since it's a lot of weight to pick up off the bottom and straighten as the boat moves. No chaffing. The anchor stays put, and I won't be catching the chain in the prop like I did nylon. But then, it's heavy. Your call.
Old 17-09-2021, 10:17   #4

Ask yourself where most of that 200 feet of chain is going to be where you normally anchor. If it's still in the chain locker, you bought too much chain.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 10:26   #5

Boat: Beneteau 473

Great points!!!!! Thanks...
Old 17-09-2021, 10:29   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonM View Post
Hello:

The boat I just got is heavy. About 28,000 pounds. The previous owner only had 75 feet of chain then a 200 foot rope. The rope is old and needs to be replaced. I am thinking 75 feet of chain just is not enough for such a heavy boat. In the perfect world I would like to have 250-300 feet of chain. I know it is best to have solid chain, but I am considering using a connection link to extend the existing chain. Does anyone have any experience with that? Part of me thinks there might a connection link out there that is just as strong as the existing chain or stronger.

Thanks....
Your looking for this

https://www.westechrigging.com/search-results.html?vwcatalog=yhst-88039420719426&query=Crosby+g335&.autodone=https%3 A%2F%2Fwww.westechrigging.com%2F%3Futm_source%3Dre markety%2520for%2520yahoo%2520small%2520business%2 6utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3DInactive%2520 Customers%25201st%26utm_content%3D%26_rmId%3D6W5xy OKBldIvjk18LvgqSkgE1A09dlFwObWyQ

I bought mine from them. Fast shipping excellent product. I think Crosby makes the best?
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 11:07   #7

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Day to day anchoring, use whatever works for you but when they start giving a name to a storm, I kinda like having “too much” chain..I also have too many “too big Fortress anchors”.
Once you have somebody drag down on top of you in a storm, the strength of all chain and it’s resistance to cutting will be worth carrying the weight.
Each to his own.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 13:15   #8

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

In "normal" conditions, one of the nicer benefits of having chain is it tends to keep the boat "quiet" at anchor, slower at moving around, and can reduce the swing radius in crowded anchorages.
The elasticity of Nylon can quite important under heavy surge/storm conditions.
However, a mistake that sailors sometimes make with Nylon is using a diameter that is too large for their boat weight, and that just ends-up negating the value of Nylon as a shock absorber.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 13:28   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

My boat is similar (rings in at 30,000 pounds). I have all-chain for my main rode. But I have a chain connector joining two lengths. It was put in place by a previous owner, but has caused me no problems.

I don't know what kind of chain link it is, but as Sam has recommended, the Crosby links have an excellent reputation.

The question of whether you need all-chain is really dependent on your anchoring needs and style. I prefer it, but you obviously need a good snubber when using all-chain rode.

Tags
anchor