Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2021, 18:49   #31

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Expected Chain Lifespan

Old tests and I dare say results today would be different

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...-coatings-test
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 10:12   #32

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Simi,

The kind of stretching you describe, is proof positive that you are exceeded your chains Working Load Limit.

It is your boat, but if it was mine, I’d increase the size and or grade of chain to avoid this. Stretched (even “slightly”) chain is weaker than the original. It has to be, since the strength is proportional to the diameter of the metal in the link. Stretch it and it becomes smaller, and hence weaker. In any industrial application for lifting chains following AMSE standards ANY change in a chain’s dimensions would result in the entire length being condemned immediately.

No it doesn’t get weaker, it work hardens and is slightly stronger despite the reduced section. But has lost its ductility and is brittle. Still time to replace.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 10:16   #33

I think for something quality like Campbell chain etc 5 + years IF you are willing to cut off a few feet after 3 years or so.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 07:50   #34

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Quote:
Jim,.

If anybody knows of a shop that can galvanize chain at less than US$1.50 per pound on the US East Coast, (or US$600 for the full 300 feet) I’d love to hear it. If they threw the anchor in for an extra $150 I’d be really happy…
I just got a quote from Baltimore Galvanizing - $250 for 200’ of 1/2” chain. For that price I can regalvanize 6 times for the price of replacing the chain.
jalmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 08:49   #35

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I finally pulled all the chain out of my locker. Bought the boat 4 years ago and been in a marina ever since. Just rebuilt the windlass so now can go anchor.

Chain is a rusted mess especially on the bottom. No idea how old it is but after reading this post and seeing what a mess my chain is where it just sits on the bottom of the anchor locker I wonder if making a stand of criss crossing metal something to keep it off the bottom of the anchor locker and allow it to drain better would be a worthwhile project. Anyone try this?
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 09:15   #36
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
For those of you who anchor a lot, and have chain in the water more often than not, what kind of lifespan to you expect from high quality domestic (USA) galvanized chain?

I know the lifespan we get from cheap Chinese chain with thin galvanizing (about 3 years) and its cost. I know the cost of USA chain… but I don’t have a good number for the lifespan of the USA chain to compare the prices on a Dollar/year basis.

I strongly suspect the USA chain will prove to be the long term bargain, but data would be nice!
I installed a new Maxwell HWC 1500 windlass and 300' 5/16" HT Acco/Peerless Galvanized Chain in 2010. I reversed the chain in 2016. I inspected the full length of the chain in 2020 and found it still in good condition. I boat in salt water and my boat has an anchor washdown system which I use on every retrieval. I prefer to anchor out rather than use a dock. I don't believe in re-galvanizing old chain.

A chain is only as good as its weakest link.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 15:32   #37

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Just been through this here in Hobart. Three year old PWM chain quite rusty in the parts that typically lie on the bottom (we live full time at anchor, save t he past three months where we've been in a marina). Time to regal... but the quote from the only galvanizaria in Tasmania was 5.60 AUD per kilo, plus shipping two ways to Launceston. Made buying new chain roughly equal in cost, so new chain on the way from the gold coast (at great expense, btw).

Not amused.

Being the only game in town leads to rapacious pricing. And it is ironic, for we are in a marina that is right next to a giant zinc smelting works!

Yotting is so fun...

Jim
Same problem here in the Philippines, washing the chain with fresh water helps when it is stored away for longer periods.
My 10mm chain is about 16 years old and only shows only surface rust.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 19:08   #38
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Same problem here in the Philippines, washing the chain with fresh water helps when it is stored away for longer periods.
My 10mm chain is about 16 years old and only shows only surface rust.
That's great.... have you regalvanized?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 22:10   #39

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We bought 1/2 a barrel of Acco 5/15 ht in 1993 (split with a friend) so 275 ft.

It was regalvanized in New Zealand in 1999 and again in Columbia in 2013.

We've circumnavigated with this chain.

We've end for ended it a couple of times.

There is minimum rust but occasionally some weird discoloration.

Wet chain locker is a problem. Our chain is carried in the cabin 15 feet aft of the bow. It is dry there (and better for weight but must be washed to avoid odors).

The friend who shared the barrel with us had to replace his in three years, ours is now 28 years old.

Photo: 28 year old chain after circumnavigation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	094553-Chain Mystery.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	467.3 KB
ID:	245905  
Old 25-09-2021, 00:32   #40

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
I finally pulled all the chain out of my locker. Bought the boat 4 years ago and been in a marina ever since. Just rebuilt the windlass so now can go anchor.

Chain is a rusted mess especially on the bottom. No idea how old it is but after reading this post and seeing what a mess my chain is where it just sits on the bottom of the anchor locker I wonder if making a stand of criss crossing metal something to keep it off the bottom of the anchor locker and allow it to drain better would be a worthwhile project. Anyone try this?
definitely need something to let the chain drain and not sit in a puddle all the time

ours is plastic stuff, but whatever works...

cheers,
Old 25-09-2021, 01:07   #41
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
We bought 1/2 a barrel of Acco 5/15 ht in 1993 (split with a friend) so 275 ft.

It was regalvanized in New Zealand in 1999 and again in Columbia in 2013.

We've circumnavigated with this chain.

We've end for ended it a couple of times.

There is minimum rust but occasionally some weird discoloration.

Wet chain locker is a problem. Our chain is carried in the cabin 15 feet aft of the bow. It is dry there (and better for weight but must be washed to avoid odors).

The friend who shared the barrel with us had to replace his in three years, ours is now 28 years old.

Photo: 28 year old chain after circumnavigation
That's quite a testimony to keeping your chain stored Clean and Dry
Old 25-09-2021, 01:29   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
well, there is always the stainless steel option for chain....pricey, yes......worth it....not to me.

It may be that the stainless corrodes more than the steel chain. Depends on the location and material.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 05:05   #43

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I was with SV Delos when they got their chain back from Baltimore Galvanizing. We spent an hour or so smacking it with hammers to free up all the links....... They did an incredibly poor job.
Old 25-09-2021, 08:22   #44

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Expected Chain Lifespan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
I was with SV Delos when they got their chain back from Baltimore Galvanizing. We spent an hour or so smacking it with hammers to free up all the links....... They did an incredibly poor job.

I think that comes down to what the galvanizer typically works with. I had 250’ regalvanized by Madden bolt in Houston. Not a single link stuck together, but their primary business is galvanizing threaded fasteners. Wouldn’t stay in business long if nuts wouldn’t thread ono bolts.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 11:12   #45
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
That happened to me this year. Every Link was fused together like a bird cage when delivered.

I refused to accept it as where we broke the fused part, there was no protection.

They took it back explained that their guy had not turned on the vibrating immersion table, re-blasted and did a perfect job 2nd time around