Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2021, 07:50   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: Expected Chain Lifespan

BillKny thank you for your input - highly valuable!
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 16:04   #62

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I would not worry too much about exceeding the WLL by a small amount. All Acco marine chain is proof tested at twice the WLL. See the video neat the bottom of this page at 1:30.

https://www.accochain.com/products/ACCO-BBB-Chain/

Also seen in the video is the last step in their galvanizing process (but not explained) is flaming the chain to re-melt the zinc letting it draw back to a smooth surface (or so I have been told).

When AZZ Galvanizing in Bristol, VA re-galvanized my chain the second time, they apologized for not proof testing my chain because their apparatus was not working.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 19:51   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I would not worry too much about exceeding the WLL by a small amount.
wsmurdoch,

How much, exactly, is a "small amount"? And how would you KNOW you had exceeded the WLL by this amount (and no more)?

I haven't seen a cruising boat with a strain gauge permanently mounted to the anchor chain, but it would be a fun thing to have.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 23:16   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
wsmurdoch,
I haven't seen a cruising boat with a strain gauge permanently mounted to the anchor chain, but it would be a fun thing to have.
Yes, this would be a good gimmick as the formula to calculate it against wind and wave force is really confusing,
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 05:25   #65

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

To see if a chain had been loaded beyond its yield strength, I'd perhaps measure the length of 100 links and compare it to the chain specifications.

I have a 0-2000 lbf Dillon dynamometer and have used it to measure the tension in my anchor chain, but because it is neither weatherproof nor remote reading I have not used it in truly horrible weather.

I have been working on a modified 0-600 lbf digital hanging scale to make it weatherproof and remote reading, but with Covid and my wife's knee surgery we have not spent as much time on our boat as usual and it has seen only limited use.

A better device was once commercially available but was apparently not a commercial success. https://web.archive.org/web/20160306...orwatch.co.uk/
You can click on the links on the page to get a full description.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote