Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 16:18   #16

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: CQR anchor---- is it good for the Bahamas?

Cruised the Bahamas a few times for several months at a time on a 35' full keel mono using a 35 lb. CQR, never had a problem in the Bahamas.

Moved to a 45' cat with a 44 lb. Delta, never had a problem, again in the Bahamas. After a couple of years came to the conclusion that the Delta did a better job setting in the sand conditions of the Bahamas than the CQR, although, as I said, the CQR worked just fine for us.

Currently on a 40' tri using a 35 lb Rocna. Spent a couple of months in the Bahamas last year, only problem I ever had was getting the thing up when I had to anchor in grass in Florida near Titusville. The best of all three designs in my opinion. Definitely sets quicker.

Neither the CQR or the Delta are at their best in mud or soft sand such as one can find in the USA. I've yet to have a problem with the Rocna but I've yet to do much anchoring with it in soft bottom conditions. I believe that it will prove superior to the CQR and the Delta in those conditions.

I trust everybody realizes my opinion is worth what you paid for it lol.
Old 03-11-2014, 16:18   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I would concur, it's exactly like asking what did we do before GPS, not even Old Sailing Captains, but mere mortals like myself, GPS is pretty new actually.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 16:52   #18

Boat: Tayana 47

I think that your 35# CQR with your 100' of chain would be fine in all but extreme conditions in the Bahamas. It'll be mostly sand and in most places there's no need to anchor in deep water. 20 years ago it's exactly what most sailors would have recommended as the perfect anchoring setup. Yes, you could spend the money and get an even better anchor but your CQR did just fine for most sailors for years. Yes, they can drag if the wind direction shifts and blows hard, but in conditions where that's likely, I trust that you'll be aboard and on watch whether you're using a CQR or a new gen anchor. One other option to save money but increase your margin of safety is to replace your 35# CQR with a larger one. With so many sailors switching to the new gen anchors, good used CQR's can be had for a very low price, and if a 45# (or even 60#) CQR will fit in your anchor roller, I think you could feel very secure in your light to moderate displacement 34' boat once you have it properly set.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 17:55   #19
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
Ok, I don't want a war, just some sound advise. I have a 35 lb car that has been great for me anchoring along the U.S. east coast from NJ to Fl.
I will be cruising the Bahamas after the new year. A new Rockna 15 would be really nice, but, is it truly something I need to sacrifice for. I was happy with my cqr until reading the less than complimentary comments on old style ground tackle. I will be using 100 ft of 5/16 ht chain and my new lewmar windlass.
Since there is no necessarily *correct* answer... I'll add this - Keep the CQR and buy a new generation anchor of appropriate size for your boat. Try it, you'll like how it sets quicker (for sure). Have the CQR for back up. It's a win/win. You may even find a need to set 2 anchors some day, so not a waste of money at all. Don't we all have at least two anchors?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 18:06   #20

I try to stay out of anchoring threads because they are too much like religion or pissing matches, but I cant help seeing that most folks that have given up on their CQR went to a "next gen" of more weight than their CQR. I had close to a 1000 nights at anchor when in my new (to me) 30,000lb boat seemed to drag all over the place with a 45lb imitation CQR (Danforth plow) and I bought an original 60lb CQR from a broke cruiser, and never drug again. Like the adds say, SIZE MATTERS. I also see red when people (on other anchor threads) say they always dive on their anchor and see that it has set. What a bunch of horse s%&t. They must not have cruised enough to ever come into an anchorage just before dark, or a murky anchorage, or a nasty commercial anchorage that you would not want to put your toe into. I really like the Fortress, in that you can have a lot of fluke area in an anchor that can be broken down into a small storage space, but I would never use one as a primary. On my 37 foot steel boat I used a 45lb CQR and had a 90lb Northhill as a storm hook. About 2 years of cruising, and never had to take the Northhill out of the locker. Thinking that the next gen is the best thing since sliced bread, is like thinking that you need $30,000 worth of electronics before you can go cruising. You need basic seamanship. and some luck, which super duper anchors or electronics wont bring you. Just another 2 cents worth. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 18:08   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
With so many sailors switching to the new gen anchors,...
Wonder why?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 18:11   #22
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Sure, keep an old anchor of a bigger size, and count on a bit of luck, whatever floats your boat.
Having been a liveaboard in the hurricane belt, without boat insurance, I take my anchors seriously and if a better
One comes around, I'll check it out.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-11-2014, 18:29   #23
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Neither the CQR or the Delta are at their best in mud or soft sand such as one can find in the USA. I've yet to have a problem with the Rocna but I've yet to do much anchoring with it in soft bottom conditions. I believe that it will prove superior to the CQR and the Delta in those conditions.
I suppose we qualify as having a soft bottom here in Galveston? Our Manson works fine, so surely your Rocna will as well.

Ralph
Old 03-11-2014, 18:41   #24

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

In my formative days (1960s), the CQR was the "queen," while we used a Danforth. Acquired a CQR in the eighties for my 24-foot cutter, but never used it. This decade we use the claw, also my favorite in the 1980s. Always works in the SF Estuary mud.

Old 03-11-2014, 18:54   #25
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I also see red when people (on other anchor threads) say they always dive on their anchor and see that it has set. What a bunch of horse s%&t. They must not have cruised enough to ever come into an anchorage just before dark, or a murky anchorage, or a nasty commercial anchorage that you would not want to put your toe into.

I actually do see a lot of guys diving their anchor in the Bahamas. Never anywhere else I've been. Personally, I drive the dink over my anchor and use the lookie bucket.

Thinking that the next gen is the best thing since sliced bread, is like thinking that you need $30,000 worth of electronics before you can go cruising.

Not really the same thing, is it?
Don't get so excited. A new 35# Manson Supreme is about $400.00, not $30,000.00. I see CQR's on plenty of boats, but way more new gen's on the bows these days. I doubt anything sets as quickly as one of the newer anchors, and they certainly have no problem re-setting as the wind shifts. Usually, technology improves...not duplicates.

I've got a good friend who uses a CQR, and was happy with it in the Bahamas, but says you have to be patient when setting it.

Ralph
Old 03-11-2014, 19:34   #26

Have yet to first generation anchors on my dock. Typical for larger sailboats here:

Old 03-11-2014, 20:19   #27

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

a few years ago I heard all the hype about the Rocna new age anchor so i bought one..
Befor that I had never had an issue with My CQR in all the anchorages between mexico and Alaska but decided to up-grade..
To my surprise the Rocna, IMO was not an upgrade.. and San Diego was the first test. in the anchorage off the coast guard station, I pulled that anchor throu the mud from one end of the anchorage to the other.. put the fortress on and set withing a few feet..
Had the same issues in the California Delta in soft mud..
If a search was done you'd find where I sold the Rocna here on CF.. I carry 4 anchors aboard, one CQR, one Fortress, A Danforth, and a fisherman..
Never had an anchor drag until I bought a Rocna...........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 20:40   #28

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
CQR anchor---- is it good for the Bahamas?

Had a Manson, never dragged once from the Chesapeake to Florida and back, held in 30 knot Northerly in Cow Pens in the Keys. Changed it for a Rocna because it used to come up sideways and got stuck all the time. Rocna dragged in Chesapeake mud in area where I never dragged with my previous to Manson Bruce, took me five tries. Since I mostly sail the Chesapeake now thinking about going back to the Bruce that I kept. All mentioned anchors were in the 45 pound range.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 20:59   #29

Highest tech anchor on my dock:

Old 04-11-2014, 04:35   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

I noticed last year on haul out when I walked around the marina that boats had anchors in the following order:

1 - CQR
2 - Delta
3 - Danforth

I also noticed that they mostly seemed too small for the boats (to me at least).

I don't believe a survey of anchors at a marina means much as to whether the anchors are good or not as most of those boats don't anchor out and when they do it is on a nice weekend or they wouldn't have left the dock. But a survey of anchors being used by cruisers at an anchorage is a different story.

The real issue is you have to have faith in your anchor. Doesn't sound the OP has that, which is a good reason to change.

Tags
anchor, Bahamas, cqr