Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 07:31   #31

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: CQR anchor---- is it good for the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Wonder why?
Could be lots of reasons, oodles of money and a "latest and greatest" mentality, a cruiser who frequents an area with soft mud bottoms where a CQR has trouble setting, marketing hype, lack of confidence in their anchoring ability, the perception that they can buy safety by spending $$ on all the best gear....

Some people buy a brand new SUV every 2 years and others buy a used car and keep it for 10 years, No doubt the brand new SUV with new brakes, new tires, new air bags, etc. is marginally safer but for people on a budget, buying a nicer vehicle used than they could afford new gives them a perfectly adequate level of safety.

For myself, since I do a lot of anchoring in soft mud and I have a relatively heavy boat that I plan to keep a long time, like you, I would buy a new gen anchor and I'd buy it oversized, but if I was on a tight budget and was just headed out to the Bahamas on a medium weight boat like the OP was, I think a perfectly acceptable margin of safety can be had at a much lower price by carefully setting his existing CQR or by upgrading to a larger CQR that he'd buy at a low price from someone who had upgraded to a new gen. Lots of ways to skin this anchoring cat. Not everyone has to run out and buy the latest and greatest, even when it comes to something as important as an anchor. The CQR clearly isn't the best anchor, but in the hands of a skilled user, it can be a perfectly adequate anchor, just like it's been for the last several decades.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:46   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I've got Rocna anchors on sale through Friday. I'm offering free shipping on Rocnas up to 33 kg. in the 48 states.

Email me if you're interested.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:53   #33
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.

Quote:
Could be lots of reasons, oodles of money and a "latest and greatest" mentality, a cruiser who frequents an area with soft mud bottoms where a CQR has trouble setting, marketing hype, lack of confidence in their anchoring ability, the perception that they can buy safety by spending $$ on all the best gear....
You are sure putting down fellow cruisers who are looking for a better anchor.

Lack of confidence in their anchoring ability...Really?
Old 05-11-2014, 03:59   #34

Boat: Island Packet 420

All I can say is that I have had more good nights sleep in the two years since I shifted to a Rocna, than I ever did with any other anchor. In addition to increased safety, if you like your sleep, buy a new gen anchor. They are not perfect or a substitute for good technique, but as someone else said their biggest issue is breaking them out of the bottom.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:43   #35

I have a 33lb CQR on 60 feet of 5/16 chain , and a 45 pound Manson Supreme on 160 feet of 5/16 chain with a 42 foot 23000 pound boat.

I've had the CQR drag before (when it was on the longer chain, and I really just keep it for a day hook and back up now), but I never had the Manson drag one single time on a year long cruise, most of it in the Bahamas.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:10   #36

Boat: gozzard 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I have a 33lb CQR on 60 feet of 5/16 chain , and a 45 pound Manson Supreme on 160 feet of 5/16 chain with a 42 foot 23000 pound boat.

I've had the CQR drag before (when it was on the longer chain, and I really just keep it for a day hook and back up now), but I never had the Manson drag one single time on a year long cruise, most of it in the Bahamas.
Well...that reinforces 'go oversize'. Your Manson is 1/3 heavier. I'm sure a 45# CQR would be better than the 33.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:21   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

In the 1970's I anchored in the Bahamas with my Danforth. In the 1980's I used a Northill as my primary. In the '90's my primary was a CQR and a Bruce since early in this millenium. My primary anchor is a Mantus now.

They all worked well enough if I took the time to set them well and selected suitable anchoring locations and any of these anchors can fail to keep you in position under certain circumstances.

We've had times when our anchors held fast to a chunk of the earth that was plucked away from its surroundings and we hauled up our anchor that remained well set in a ball or mud & marl.

I'm all for new and better anchors, but we were not suffering with our CQR and we will remain vigilant during a line squall with our Mantus.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:06   #38

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

This is a no-brainer. You can get a Mantus 35lb for $320, or if you like to sleep really soundly, a 45lb for $400. I don't want to hear any arguments about how you can't afford it. Your anchor is the most important and most used piece of safety gear on your boat. You can still use the CQR for a backup.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:10   #39

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Cruised 10 years on a Crealock 37, 16,000# dis placement, using a 35 lb CQR, with a 33 lb Bruce as second bow anchor. Had dragged a couple of times, usually due to operator error, one time because I hooked a mop in Boqueron. Your combination is fine. A good percentage of people don't set anchors properly. Even "new generation" anchors won't hold on a thin sand over hard bottom. Develop of good anchoring technique and go sailing. Too much talk and not enough sailing these days
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:10   #40
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.

Hudson Force and Mike Reed:

Well said, my experience and my philosophy as well and been sleeping really well over the years.
This should end the thread: These 2 posts pretty much sums it up with relevant answers to the OP's question based on experience and common sense.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-11-2014, 09:00   #41

37' catamaran with a 45# CQR, anchored all over from the Chesapeake to the Abacos. Never an issue. Considering a rocna now and retiring the cqr to BU.
Aderby810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:06   #42

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

For my money, the heaviest longest chain you can handle plus a kellet then the thickest longest rode you can handle.
Then you can put pretty well anything on the end that will dig in.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:27   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1 View Post
Well...that reinforces 'go oversize'. Your Manson is 1/3 heavier. I'm sure a 45# CQR would be better than the 33.

Ronbo
Well, I admit it is somewhat apples and oranges. I'm not drawing a conclusion, I'm just reporting what happened.
Old 05-11-2014, 15:34   #44

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
You are sure putting down fellow cruisers who are looking for a better anchor.

Lack of confidence in their anchoring ability...Really?
That's just one of many reasons that I listed so why did you focus on just that one? I also said that if/when I replace my current (spade) anchor, it will be with a new generation anchor. But I think that the CQR is still a very viable anchor, especially for someone on a tight budget, and especially when you can pick up used ones cheap so an "oversized" one become affordable. But yes, I do think that "some" cruisers buy all the latest and greatest hardware instead of taking the time to learn how to properly use and gain confidence in the last generation stuff they already have. Certainly not the majority but they're out there.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 17:03   #45
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
That's just one of many reasons that I listed so why did you focus on just that one? I also said that if/when I replace my current (spade) anchor, it will be with a new generation anchor. But I think that the CQR is still a very viable anchor, especially for someone on a tight budget, and especially when you can pick up used ones cheap so an "oversized" one become affordable. But yes, I do think that "some" cruisers buy all the latest and greatest hardware instead of taking the time to learn how to properly use and gain confidence in the last generation stuff they already have. Certainly not the majority but they're out there.
Maybe there's a reason the used CQR's are so cheap? The one anchor I will never use is a CQR. I don't want an anchor that I have to have the heaviest and longest chain rode on to feel comfortable. I don't want an anchor that I have to drop, then let naturally find it's way into the bottom for an hour before I set it. I want an anchor I can drop, set and be done with. I guess you probably think I don't appreciate CQR's
smj is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Bahamas, cqr