Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2017, 09:12   #1

Boat: Island Packet 420
Circuit breaker for a Lofrans Falkon

I recently replaced a vertical Simpson Lawrence 1500 windlass with a Lofrans Falkon (I believe in solid, heavy duty ground tackle). The SL 1500 had a 70 A breaker which I have left in place. The local engineering advice I got said it would do fine. However, upon double checking the instructions, the Lofrans manual suggests a 125A breaker for a 12V system for the Lofrans and a 70A breaker if I had a 24V system. I have a 12V system. The windlass appears to be working just fine, I have not blown the circuit while operating it.

So, my question, is there any reason that I should upgrade that breaker?
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 09:39   #2

Boat: Fleming 55
Re: Circuit breaker for a Lofrans Falkon

I have the same windlass though a bit older. I’d use their recommended size, PROVIDED that the wire size can handle that ampacity. I’ve found that when heavily loaded/locked it will trip my 150 amp breaker that came with this boat. Also check your switch or solenoids to ensure they can handle the wattage of your new windlass.
Old 27-11-2017, 09:51   #3

Thanks, John,

I have extremely heavy wire going to the windlass (#2, as I recall- not on the boat now), so I don't think it would excessively heat up. I am using the solenoid that came with the Falkon. So, I do not worry about the solenoid or wiring.
Old 27-11-2017, 22:59   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post

So, my question, is there any reason that I should upgrade that breaker?
I would change it.

You went with a much heavier lift windlass to give you additional break away torque if ground tackle became stuck.

By limiting breaker to 70a rather than the specified 125a, the breaker may pop before the windless reaches its potential...if you find yourself in a jammed situation.

I have the Lofrans Titan Horizontal which is wired from heavy duty buss bars to a dedicated on/off switch then the recommended fuse (200a @ 24v in my case) then solenoid then windlass motor.

The Windlass breaker is used only to power the control solenoid.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 04:11   #5
cruiser

The cable size is the key here. Look at the cable, get the size and then use the tables on the internet or the West Marine catalog to determine the maximum current for that sized wire. Choose the breaker size to not overload the cable or the manufacturer's recommended size, whichever is smaller.

Don't use a 125 amp breaker if the cable can only handle 100 amps.
boatman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 04:13   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
.............. The Windlass breaker is used only to power the control solenoid.
That is incorrect.
Old 28-11-2017, 05:13   #7

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

The breaker is there to protect the cable.
I am not an expert but on a 42 foot boat, let's say the distance to the windlass is 30 feet and @ 10% loss, the #2 cable is only good for 120 amps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	159833  
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 05:16   #8
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman12 View Post
That is incorrect.
In my case that is how it is done Boatie
Old 28-11-2017, 09:01   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
In my case that is how it is done Boatie
Sounds as though there is confusion between the breaker and the fuse. Breaker for the solenoid and fuse for the winch's actual supply?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 09:07   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Sounds as though there is confusion between the breaker and the fuse. Breaker for the solenoid and fuse for the winch's actual supply?
It could be either way. In my case, there is a 7 amp fuse for the wire feeding the solenoid coil and a 60 amp (or so) circuit breaker for the actual power to the windlass (which flows through the contacts of the solenoid)
Old 28-11-2017, 09:37   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman12 View Post
It could be either way. In my case, there is a 7 amp fuse for the wire feeding the solenoid coil and a 60 amp (or so) circuit breaker for the actual power to the windlass (which flows through the contacts of the solenoid)
It could be either but I doubt he has a 200A fuse protecting a relay or contactor at that amperage draw of the winch. I know relay/contactor is semantics.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 14:59   #12
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
It could be either but I doubt he has a 200A fuse protecting a relay or contactor at that amperage draw of the winch. I know relay/contactor is semantics.
Hi Cadence,

To clarify, the heavy duty fuse is only there to protect the heavy cable runs to windlass and Thruster.

Here are some old pictures before my complete ER refit which shows the 24V supply to Bow Thruster and Windlass.

Not exactly sure rating of 24V Fuse, but it is heavy duty. I would need to check spares list to confirm amperage, but when I relocated switches and fuses outside ER and into electrical closet, I thought it was 200a??

The 2 BEP switches on Left side are Emergency Parallel and Main Engine Start, that supplied the heavy duty fuse for either the Thruster or Windlass.

In the closeup, you can see the light (white cable) that energizes the Windlass Solenoid that is fed by 10a Windlass breaker on DC Panel. (same wiring for Bow Thruster)

Suggestion I was making to OP who has now installed a heavier draw windlass, is to install a separate on/off switch (like my BEP) and in line Fuse (as I have) to replace his under rated breaker.

The key thing as Boatie warns, is to first make sure his old wiring run is properly rated for the new windlass
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 BEP ANCHOR SOLENOID.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	159863   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 BEP CLOSE VIEW.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	159864  

Name:	3 24 DSC_0002 PANELTRONICS.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	159865  
Old 28-11-2017, 18:18   #13

Thanks for lots of information- here is some clarification----- I am not talking about the fuse protecting the solenoid, I am talking about the circuit breaker- which apparently is protecting the wiring- which is battery cable sized (I think that is #2), plenty heavy. I am thinking that with the size of the cable, it would take a really long time for that wire to get hot enough to trip a 70A breaker.
Old 28-11-2017, 19:24   #14
CF Adviser

Others can probably say it better, but an increased demand from your motor over a hard and long pull can trip an under rated breaker.

Not a big deal since you can reset it quickly and then haul up in short stages.....
As long as your convinced your cable is big enough.

I guess closely monitoring it is what you will probably do for now
Old 28-11-2017, 22:02   #15

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
Thanks for lots of information- here is some clarification----- I am not talking about the fuse protecting the solenoid, I am talking about the circuit breaker- which apparently is protecting the wiring- which is battery cable sized (I think that is #2), plenty heavy. I am thinking that with the size of the cable, it would take a really long time for that wire to get hot enough to trip a 70A breaker.
The breaker does measure or trip based on the cable temperature. It trips based on the current passing through the breaker. So if the windlass motor draws in excess of the breaker rating for a period the breaker will trip.

Tags
lofrans