Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2014, 06:15   #46

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Chesapeake Bay Anchor Holding Power Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
MikeA,

Please see image below for the anchors to be tested.

Brian

Rats, Brian, I was hoping you'd be including the Super MAX anchor(s), too.

If you like, I can lend you ours... MAX 16 44-lb pivoting model... if you'll have somebody come around here (near Annapolis and pick it up.

I can put our FX-37 back on the bow for a while

-Chris
Old 27-07-2014, 11:46   #47

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I would enjoy seeing a SARCA Excel in that mix as well, as it and the SPADE are the two "modern" designs I have not seen so much comparative data on.

I already know how my Fortress FX-23 works. I keep my lower back fit by attempting to bring it in at more than 1:1. Right over the shank and it comes up cleanly. Which I suppose is desirable in an anchor, right?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 11:50   #48

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Rats, Brian, I was hoping you'd be including the Super MAX anchor(s), too.
Doubt they will. Too good in mud.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 12:15   #49

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
MikeA,

Please see image below for the anchors to be tested.

Brian
Great lineup of anchors. Great to see the Boss there. Too bad no Excel. Can't get them in the US, though
Old 27-07-2014, 12:35   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Will you be testing anchors of differing weights of the same style? I've found some anchors don't perform well in small sizes but holding power increases in a non-linear fashion as they increase in size; this is very try for large Bruce anchors (50 & 80kg and more) and HT Danforths as well. Our 100# Danforth and 50kg Bruce have held in major storms there equally sized CQR anchors have dragged quickly. Proportionally smaller Bruce and Danforth anchors on smaller boats seem to drag much more quickly leading me to believe that there is a certain critical mass before some designs work to design.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 12:38   #51

It's great Fortress is doing this. For many of the anchors you're testing, this will be the first comparative test in mud. Sure to be instructive.

Have you decided on the scope for the tests? 7:1 scope is difficult to achieve in many harbors today. I'd be really interested in holding strength at 4:1 scope too.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 14:08   #52

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
It's great Fortress is doing this. For many of the anchors you're testing, this will be the first comparative test in mud. Sure to be instructive.

Have you decided on the scope for the tests? 7:1 scope is difficult to achieve in many harbors today. I'd be really interested in holding strength at 4:1 scope too.
Yes! Both short and long scope are important
Old 27-07-2014, 14:19   #53
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Rats, Brian, I was hoping you'd be including the Super MAX anchor(s), too.-Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Doubt they will. Too good in mud.
I have heard that the Super Max is a solid-performing anchor, but I have questions regarding its short and long term availability in the USA, which was a condition for the anchors we chose. If you would like more specifics on this reasoning, then please send me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Will you be testing anchors of differing weights of the same style?
Unfortunately not, as I think our charter time will likely be taken up with testing just the 11 anchors we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
The plan is to lay out a 5:1 scope with 20' of chain + the wire rope off of the aft winch, and then let out another 100 feet of the wire rope.

This will put the scope at about 8.3:1, and at this time we will set the Dynamic Positioning System to keep the Rachel Carson in place, which will be confirmed and charted by the boat's GPS system, and additionally by a separate gauge that we will have installed with the equipment that is measuring and charting the readings from the winch.

We will then pull back the additional 100 feet of wire rope with the winch at a rate of 10 feet per minute, as advised by our consultant Bob Taylor for soft mud testing, so the total pull time will be 10 minutes. This is the time period that each anchor will have to engage the bottom and develop resistance.

Thanks,
Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 04:34   #54

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

I have heard that the Super Max is a solid-performing anchor, but I have questions regarding its short and long term availability in the USA, which was a condition for the anchors we chose. If you would like more specifics on this reasoning, then please send me a PM.
??

PM sent.

-Chris
Old 28-07-2014, 08:37   #55

Boat: contessa 32

A characteristic not mentioned yet that I consider very important is the rapidity of setting.
That is: How long the anchor drags before giving its maximum holding power. A quick set is very important in crowded anchorages or otherwise tight spots (near a channel ,small hidey hole etc.). Since the Manson is on your list , the reversing pull test should be tried both using the fixed shackle hole and the sliding slot to see if it can reset without becoming unglued . thanx a bunch.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 08:42   #56

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The best test location by far would be 100 yards off the Naval Academy--I've rescued 4 dragging boats there.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 08:50   #57

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The best test location by far would be 100 yards off the Naval Academy--I've rescued 4 dragging boats there.
... and that's just about as unforgiving a lee shore as you'll find in a Chesapeake Bay harbor!
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 09:00   #58

Boat: Liberty 458

As an engineer I would expect real time capture of chain loads with wind and tide and substrate sampling measurements to allow some normalisation of the results. A robust test would also include anchor size and rode bracketing. Video footage of anchor and catenary is also necessary to identify test specific anamolies.

While anchor experience and tests are always of interest it is somewhat challenging to extrapolate the results to our own anchoring needs.

Nearly all of the anchor studies i've seen to date are more technical marketing focused.

Good luck with your testing. We look forward to an open and transparent disclosure of the results and data.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 12:00   #59
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
A characteristic not mentioned yet that I consider very important is the rapidity of setting.
That is: How long the anchor drags before giving its maximum holding power. A quick set is very important in crowded anchorages or otherwise tight spots (near a channel ,small hidey hole etc.). Since the Manson is on your list , the reversing pull test should be tried both using the fixed shackle hole and the sliding slot to see if it can reset without becoming unglued . thanx a bunch.
How quickly the anchor engages the bottom and develops resistance up until its ultimate holding power capability will certainly be measured, charted, and recorded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
As an engineer I would expect real time capture of chain loads with wind and tide and substrate sampling measurements to allow some normalisation of the results. A robust test would also include anchor size and rode bracketing. Video footage of anchor and catenary is also necessary to identify test specific anamolies.

While anchor experience and tests are always of interest it is somewhat challenging to extrapolate the results to our own anchoring needs.

Nearly all of the anchor studies i've seen to date are more technical marketing focused.

Good luck with your testing. We look forward to an open and transparent disclosure of the results and data.
While we will have a videographer aboard, the water is unfortunately too murky for underwater footage.

We will also have the American Boat & Yacht Council's "Horizontal Loads Table" aboard so that we will be able to quickly determine how the pull readings achieved by each anchor relate to the holding power requirements for boats of different sizes when various wind speeds are against them.

Thank you also for your good wishes.

Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 12:30   #60

This is taking on all the earmarks of a Government project developed by committee..........

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, chesapeake bay