Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 19:39   #31

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Can you anchor in 10ft of water?

Any time Im at San Fran or north of there on the coast I start looking for at least 20 ft of water. and north of the Columbia river, I start looking for 30 ft ! but then Ive never had a westsail that can take a beating on the bottom LOL Down here 10 ft is plenty!!
Old 27-02-2013, 19:43   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jack, is there any reason why you didn't just take a chart and draw a red line through the ten foot soundings, to see just where you would have to anchor?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 19:56   #33

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Jack, is there any reason why you didn't just take a chart and draw a red line through the ten foot soundings, to see just where you would have to anchor?
because that would be a lot of work!! i tried this before, and the free charts don't cover a lot of area. note my boat is still under (re)construction, i'm not actually going anywhere in it for some time.
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 20:15   #34

Boat: Outremer 50S

On the Pacific Coast of NA you're looking at 4-6 foot tidal range in Southern California, 6-8 foot range in Northern California, and getting to 8-16 feet in Washington (and even more in BC and Alaska). 10' feet as a maximum depth means that except in Southern California you will likely be aground at low tide on a pretty regular basis.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 21:54   #35

Boat: Niagara 35
Plenty of anchorages here come up pretty steep. Couldn't do out here at all. 150' of rode minimum, 200' is better
Old 27-02-2013, 22:35   #36
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

We have a cat, 3' draft (mini keels), and anchoring in 10' is not an issue but,

On the west coast of Tasmania (just off the deep ocean) tides can be 1' but in shallow Bass Strait, (North coast of Tasmania) - so just round the corner - tides can be 12' (same day). If any seas coming into an anchorage where you are anchored then if 10' is high tide you can find that the sea break at low tide and if they do not break might steepen giving bigger 'swell' effects - so making it uncomfortable. And you will not know this until it happens (unless you have been there before - in which case you probably would not have asked the question). Up in the Whitsundays (where they have huge tides) multi owners often anchor and simply dry out (but the anchorage needs to be very sheltered and known) But drying out without mini keels - can damage a hull, you have no idea what might be in the seabed.

Though we have a cat we like sea room, we do not want to be near the beach where the waves break ( if nothing else too noisy) so we would be looking at a minimum of 3m under the keels at low tide (but we use an all chain rode).
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 23:28   #37

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

I'd have to go with everyone else on this one and call it imprudent. If its a matter of weight a combination rode with a few hundred extra ft of nylon wouldn't really amount to much. You can still anchor in shallow water with a good sized anchor rode. However you can't anchor deeper, or compensate for a large tidal range, or likely keep yourself off the shore during engine failure, or increase scope with a shorter line.

On my boat I've got a combination rode with 25' of 1/4 chain, and an extra 30' of 1/2 chain I can shackle to my main anchor in case of a storm or for anchoring in extra depth. Can't hurt to carry extra rope/chain somewhere on your boat, then you can choose whether or not you want to use it rather than not have the option at all.
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 01:06   #38

Boat: Little Harbor 46

True, the tidal range here is up to 40', plays havoc with the amount of chain to put out! 10' at low, 50' at high!
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 02:05   #39

Boat: Privilege 37

The question is posed from the view of a sailing vessel. assuming a 3 : 1 scope and all chain onboard, then there is approx 40ft of chain (or rope and chain).

Any sailing boat has additional rope, even if it is the spinnaker or genoa sheets.

I once anchored in the middle of the english channel during a race when the wind died and the tide was against us. We used every piece of rope onboard as it was 60m depth. (took us 30 minutes to weigh anchor once the wind and tide had changed sufficiently to achieve motion in the right direction).
Old 28-02-2013, 02:34   #40

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Try the Bahamas, seldom anchor in more than 10 feet of water. Try for seven or eight most of the time.
Old 28-02-2013, 03:03   #41
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Which brings up another question. Without deep water nearby to make waves that are using up stored energy, how much water do you need under your keel? I was waiting on a tide to get in a shallow channel in about 6.5' of water. Of course a storm came in before the tide soon I was being pitched around a bit. I never contacted bottom but was wondering how close I was getting. Also reminds me of the key west anchorage where there are many boats anchored in 6' through all kinds of weather.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 06:17   #42

Boat: Outremer 50S

Everyone assumes scope, but the OP said he has an interesting anchoring arrangement in mind. Maybe a spud pile that gets driven into the bottom at each anchorage? That would certainly account for a fixed maximum depth.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 06:32   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

moorings in sd were made in 10 ft mean low tide--i found 17 ft under my boat in high tide.

in a protected anchorage in a sheltered bay, 10 ft is no big deal.

i generally anchor in 20 ish ft of water here in mexico, and there are still rocks beneath my keel.

i still itch when i hear the crashing of surf on the beach and rocks....lol..is a wonderful life and someone has to live it....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 08:12   #44

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Everyone assumes scope, but the OP said he has an interesting anchoring arrangement in mind. Maybe a spud pile that gets driven into the bottom at each anchorage? That would certainly account for a fixed maximum depth.
Indeed, something like a Helix anchor screwed in to the bottom is what i'm thinking of. It would be essentially a portable mooring. But at more than 10ft, it couldn't be easily be put in. And yes I'm an engineer.

I noticed someone asked about this a couple days ago,
auger-as-an-anchor

JackB
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 08:24   #45
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"because that would be a lot of work!! i tried this before, and the free charts don't cover a lot of area. "
So you post a global question to a global audience, which only makes sense if you're going circumnavigating? I can scarcely wait to see the blog "Around the world with only 70 feet of rode!"

Now, if you're thinking about augers...ain't gonna work on rock bottoms, is it? Perhaps a nice set of built-in hydraulic legs, like Citroen once used?<G>

Ah, free charts will cover the entire US and significant other places. Won't buy you Canada but for long-range planning, cheap used old charts are plenty good enough, as as chart books or other reproductions. Rock bottoms, like the Pacific NW and BC, don't change much over the years. If you want to see where you can go, ergh, stop, you'll need charts anyhow.

And asking about depth, while ignoring bottom types, means you won't be doing any engineering at all. Unless you've got one of them freeze-dried five ton granite mooring blacks in mind.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, water