Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2011, 14:52   #76

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Mark,

thanks for the great reply.

As a fellow experienced diver it gives you extra options.

I have night free dived to unrap anchors chain wrapped around coral heads after wind changes on ocassions.

Will file away for future reference.

Unfortunately it is likely many many vessels will be lost in Oueensland with cyclone Yassi this week. its massive size(area) cat 4/5 and likely tidal surge will be a challenge.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 19:46   #77

Very interesting anchor tales, especially considering I started out asking how to anchor in mud. Seems to have a life of its own. Many thanks to all for their time so far. Happy sailing and "stayput" anchoring.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 23:27   #78
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmith View Post
How many times do you intend to send it back? Every time you use the thing to the limits of its supposed capability? Will Fortress replace your destroyed anchor in the five minutes you have off that leeshore before you need to re-deploy it?

Fortress make a big deal out of replacing anchors, as if it's some point of distinction. In fact, most anchors of repute come with lifetime guarantees of this sort, including but not limited to Delta, Spade, and of course Rocna.
Craig,

As you may remember, I carry two anchors, a Fortress and a Rocna. My primary anchor is the Rocna.

When my Rocna was delivered, it had a bent roll bar. This bend seems to have been a manufacturing defect. Since the anchor was delivered, I've contacted Rocna several times, sending them pictures of the bent roll bar each time. I've also posted these photos on the web. While I've been promised that someone will get back to me, this has never happened.

Despite it all, my Rocna seems to function without impairment. However, I have little doubt that were it a Fortress, I could send it back for a replacement, and receive one without question. Rocna, on the other hand, refuses to respond to my requests.

Rocna is a great anchor, as far as the design is concerned. As I've said before on this site, however, mine appears to have been fabricated by a high school freshman taking metal shop for the first time. Great design, lousy fabrication.

My Fortress, which is actually the less expensive Guardian made by the same manufacturer, appears to be in perfect shape despite more than a decade of use.

How do you explain that?
Old 31-01-2011, 23:42   #79
Marine Service Provider

It won't have been manufactured like that - a bent roll-bar? - it will have been damaged after leaving the factory. A run in with a forklift or something like that.

If it was indeed damaged it should never have been sold to you and it will definitely be covered by warranty. The obvious point of contact for you is the reseller you bought it from - they should simply replace the anchor, no questions. Take it back. Alternatively you could call Mark at Suncoast Marine in Vancouver, the North American agent. You will find him friendly and helpful. Rocna in New Zealand can't do much directly to help you, unless of course you're in NZ.

E-mail me (I'd like to see a photo or two anyway) if you want. My first name @ rocna.com.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:32   #80
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
However, I have little doubt that were it a Fortress, I could send it back for a replacement, and receive one without question. Rocna, on the other hand, refuses to respond to my requests.
Bash,

Just for the sake of accuracy, you would not have to send it back. The image would be enough for us.

Regards,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:48   #81
Eternal Member

Coming in for fuel last week, I stupidly misjudged the current behind me and managed to bump into a piling and bend the stock on my Fortress FX-37.

Fortress replaced it free-of-charge; arrived in the mail yesterday.

I know of no other marine supplier -- of anything -- with a better warranty/replacement policy and follow thru than Fortress anchors.

Absolutely superb!

Thanks, guys.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:35   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
Bash,

Just for the sake of accuracy, you would not have to send it back. The image would be enough for us.

Regards,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
That really is a great service. A warranty that cruising sailors can use
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:47   #83
Sponsoring Vendor

Thanks guys! Just to clarify:

• If you wanted us to replace the entire anchor, we would ask for an image.

• If you wanted us to replace just an anchor part, your word is good enough for us. No image needed.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:35   #84

Re: Anchoring in Mud

I am using a 60lbs Manson Supreme on a 44' catamaran. On several occasion, I had difficulties setting the anchor in mud and it dragged at an impressive speed, as if there was no anchor at all. The other day, a slight wind-shift with strong gusts made me drag, as if the anchor wasn't down at all. The anchor did not reset at all. I am not very impressed about the anchor.
I have used a Spade anchor on my previous boat and during 5 years of live-aboard it has not dragged that many times as the Supreme during 8 months. This is strange because they follow similar principles and shapes
simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:53   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Rocna is a great anchor, as far as the design is concerned. As I've said before on this site, however, mine appears to have been fabricated by a high school freshman taking metal shop for the first time. Great design, lousy fabrication.

My Fortress, which is actually the less expensive Guardian made by the same manufacturer, appears to be in perfect shape despite more than a decade of use.
I agree with this. I own or have recently owned Rocna, Fortress, Spade, Delta.

The Fortress and Spade are works of art -- beautifully made and finished with real quality materials.

The Delta is plainer than those, but well made.

The Rocna, on the other hand, is rather crudely made and finished.

It's not so important, I guess -- the main thing is how it works, and it works superbly. But it's something Rocna might want to keep in mind. The prices charged, while much less than the cost of a Spade, would still justify a higher level of fabrication and finishing. It will eventually be a competitive disadvantage, as more anchors appear which work as well, but are better made.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:14   #86
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by simons View Post
I am using a 60lbs Manson Supreme on a 44' catamaran. On several occasion, I had difficulties setting the anchor in mud and it dragged at an impressive speed, as if there was no anchor at all. The other day, a slight wind-shift with strong gusts made me drag, as if the anchor wasn't down at all. The anchor did not reset at all. I am not very impressed about the anchor.
I have used a Spade anchor on my previous boat and during 5 years of live-aboard it has not dragged that many times as the Supreme during 8 months. This is strange because they follow similar principles and shapes
They don't though, the Supreme is built to a tight budget and is heavily compromised. I could go into great detail explaining why but will come afoul of the forum's policies on what I'm allowed to say. May I say, absent Rocna, I would much prefer a Spade on my boat than a Manson. Nevertheless, your experience is about what we expect, and seems to be what comes out in independent testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The Rocna, on the other hand, is rather crudely made and finished.

It's not so important, I guess -- the main thing is how it works, and it works superbly.
DH, a lot of effort is put into the Rocna design to ensure good attention to detail and fine quality finishing. If your anchor is really as you describe, it would be a warranty matter - get in contact with Rocna and let them know you're not happy, it will be dealt with.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:20   #87
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by simons View Post
I have a very nice spade a140 the right size for you boat and I will trade you even for your 60lb Manson Suprime-the spade is great in mud!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:30   #88
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
Thanks guys! Just to clarify:

• If you wanted us to replace the entire anchor, we would ask for an image.

• If you wanted us to replace just an anchor part, your word is good enough for us. No image needed.
That is as good as it gets! I had no idea that Fortress gave a warranty of a life time until earlier in this thread , that says a whole lot about a product!

I bought this anchor around I’m guessing 20 years ago and soon after I bought it I went to the Bahamas it got caught on a reef and I had a hell of a time getting it up, In the process I broke the Teak anchor pulpit- (stupid mistake) after I got it up, I took a large hammer and beat the flukes & shank somewhat straight- and finding out Fortress will replace it/ or repair it is almost unbelievable, I almost feel like I’m stealing something , because with this kind of abuse I’m certainly at fault-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fortress1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	24458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fortress.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	24459  

Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:34   #89
Sponsoring Vendor

Ram,

Wow, that is an oldie and it is around 20 years old as you said. Please contact us with your address, and the only cost will be for shipping & handling.

The latest FX-11 model will have some nice improvements over the old FX-11, including Mud Palms, adjustable fluke angle, and a beefier stock (narrow round rod).

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
Old 03-03-2011, 18:26   #90

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Anchoring in Mud

Have new FX 37. US 28516 Never seen anything but rainwater

Swap for Fx16 or 11 or small rocna type roll bar anchor.. You pay shipping (s).
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring