Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2011, 13:28   #1

anchoring in the antilles

Hi everybody ,
i plan to sail down to the antilles and was wondering if anybody knows about a secure and cheap or if possible free mooring for about 3-4 months.
thanks and good winds
marco_ocea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 13:34   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: anchoring in the antilles

Since the Antilles describes the entire Caribbean, you might be a little more specific about your destination.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 13:34   #3

The Antilles is kind of a broad area. Can you be a little more specific?
Greater/Lesser and which Islands?

Boy Gord you're fast

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 14:54   #4

Boat: Boatless

You can anchor off almost any island in the Caribbean, for free, and many have moorings but we never leave the boat for more that the time it takes to eat dinner.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 15:53   #5

Location: Cruising the Caribbean, Rio Dulce, Guatemala during Hurricane season 2012
Boat: FP Orana 44

It is cheaper and easier to get a good anchor. Then you can stay almost anywhere. Obviously, during the hurricane season is a different matter.
Aluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 16:05   #6

i was wondering if martinique or st lucia are a bit more protected than other more northern area during hurricane ,and also secure ,not too much theft ...
the grenadines and trinidad do not have a good reputation ,what about tobago ?
Old 19-03-2011, 16:15   #7

The further north in the chain the higher the risk of a hurricane. Even St. Lucia has been slammed along with points south but to a lesser degree. The Grenadine Islands are safe as any with a few anchorages in St. Vincent being the exception.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 16:16   #8

Location: Cruising the Caribbean, Rio Dulce, Guatemala during Hurricane season 2012
Boat: FP Orana 44

You should go at least to the Grenadines or further south. This year I am planning to hang around the Grenadines and if/when necessary head to Tobago. I do not think any of the places are too dangerous, I think Le Marin in Martinique and the lagoon in Rodney Bay, St Lucia are good hurricane holes. You can also put down your own mooring if you can find a space.
Aluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 04:07   #9

Is there a cheap and safe place even on land in the south antilles??martinique is expensive and at anchor or mooring is probably not safe,but for hurricane maybe safer than miami?Lots of theft in st lucia?
thanks
Old 20-03-2011, 04:46   #10

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor

In seven years of full time cruising up and down the islands from the Virgins to Grenada, we've never had a theft problem, although we have known people who were victims of petty thieves. As someone else mentioned, we avoid St. Vincent's west coast anchorages, but otherwise we wouldn't say there is a theft problem, expecially compared to Miami, which you mentioned.

Anchoring is free in the islands, with a few harbors being exceptions. Moorings are found in some places, but the quality varies. Buy good ground tackle instead of paying for moorings.

I'm not clear on whether you are planning to leave the boat for 3 or 4 months, and if you are leaving it, would that be during hurricane season? If so, that narrows the posibilities somewhat. Leaving the boat on the hard during hurricane season is possible, but not cheap, and requires advance planning. Most of the good yards for hurricane storage are booked many months in advance. Leaving the boat in the water for hurricane season is possible, but you need to have someone to look out for it. There are a few good hurricane holes, but I wouldn't leave the boat in any of them long term without someone watching it, especially if a storm is threatening.

More detail on your plans would get more specific answers.
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 11:52   #11

thanks for the advices...i have the choice of leaving the boat in the miami during hurricane season and someone would have a look at it once in awhile but with a good storm there is not much he can do ....
Or sailing down to martinique or st lucia ,from where i plan to take a plane back to europe. I guess these islands are more secure during hurricane season ,i would leave it there until october....
The sailing plan is not ready yet we need 4 people and are only 2 or maybe three...takes time to get that planed...i might have to leave it in miami ,coconut grove ...but hope not
thanks
Old 20-03-2011, 12:01   #12

Boat: Boatless

Having been through 4 hurricanes in Miami and the Grove it is the last place I would leave my boat. I saw a 100 ft steel boat sunk on the dock in Dinner Key. I will try and find you the pictures!

www.CGSC.org my sailing club in the Grove lost 50 boats in Wilma and Katrina.

Trinidad, Curacao or Cartagena are probably the only places in the Caribbean I would leave my boat in hurricane season. They are certainly among the few places my insurance company will pay for the damage.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 12:18   #13
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: anchoring in the antilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_ocea View Post
thanks for the advices...i have the choice of leaving the boat in the miami during hurricane season and someone would have a look at it once in awhile but with a good storm there is not much he can do ....
Or sailing down to martinique or st lucia ,from where i plan to take a plane back to europe. I guess these islands are more secure during hurricane season ,i would leave it there until october....
The sailing plan is not ready yet we need 4 people and are only 2 or maybe three...takes time to get that planed...i might have to leave it in miami ,coconut grove ...but hope not
thanks
Two crew.... maybe 3... thats more than enough to head out for the Antillies.... most of its day sails... longest maybe 36hrs..
Old 20-03-2011, 12:41   #14

Boat: MacGregor65- s/vSunsets

If the boat is in Miami and you're not comfortable sailing it down to the Antilles, why not bring it north to the Chesapeake for the worst parts of hurricane season? There are certainly in-water marinas there where the boat would be safe, along with land storage options.

Not nearly as beautiful as the islands, but an option perhaps.
s/v Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring