Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2022, 09:01   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495
Re: Anchorage instead of marina recommendations canary islands?

If you go to the OCC (Ocean Cruising Club) you’ll find on-site cruiser contacts as well as Port Officers that are up to date knowledgeable, and helpful to an extreme.
- those contacts are useful pretty well anywhere along the common cruising paths around the world
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:03   #32

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post
If you go to the OCC (Ocean Cruising Club) you’ll find on-site cruiser contacts as well as Port Officers that are up to date knowledgeable, and helpful to an extreme.

- those contacts are useful pretty well anywhere along the common cruising paths around the world
Thank you very much. Would they also help non members?
Old 04-11-2022, 10:18   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Thank you very much. Would they also help non members?
They did me…..got 1/2 way around the world before I realized I was using them so much We owed them membership.

-
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post
They did me…..got 1/2 way around the world before I realized I was using them so much We owed them membership.

-
Thanks. I'd be prepared to become a member if I find it helpful...
Old 04-11-2022, 10:37   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

There are several "cruising guides" available for the Cape Verde Islands.
Check the internet.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:18   #36
Marine Service Provider

https://www.passageweather.com/maps/...es/mappage.htm
billreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:01   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailmakers

Anchorage is rare and not easy except in Grasiosa, a nice island. Beware of each south point of each island, the gusts can be very strong. Between the islands the sea can be rough
Voilerie Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 16:43   #38

I have spent the last 3 years pretty much always at anchor in the Canary Islands.

Firstly, there are no all weather, all season anchorages (not that you really get seasons in the Canarias).

There are many anchorages that are well sheltered from the predominant N/NW winds however, the infrequent but extreme blows from the southern segment will make many of these anchorages untenable.

Secondly, you will never get away from the Atlantic swell that finds its way in to even the most sheltered anchorages. The south facing coasts are the most protected from the swell. The swell may come around the islands from either direction depending on the incident swell angle from higher up in the Atlantic so the eastern side of a bay maybe better one day and the western side the next. Sometimes the interference pattern from the two sides can make the seas rather confused.

Many of the “good” anchorages benefit from the proximity of a harbour sea wall which makes things more predictable.

Also be aware that the island terrain lends itself to unpredictable blasts down the gullies (barrancos). Even in extremely calm sub 10kn conditions a small change in gradient wind, land or sea temperature can cause a 30kn+ gust from nowhere. These gusts can vortex around the bays causing boats at anchor to swing in different direction. Unless you have a lot of space, then a short scope is a good idea.

Most of the good anchorages are well documented on apps/webs such as Navily.

Here are the ones where I have spent most time, sometimes three months plus. In no particular order :

Corralejo Fuerteventura outside the port entrance.

Outside Puerto Morro Jable FuerteVentura

Isla Lobos near El Puertito

Baia de Abona Tenerife (Northern side in most conditions)

Papagayo Lanzarote (several anchorages near by, including outside of Marina Rubicon and Puerto Playa Blanca)

Playa Quemada on the Southeastern coast of Lanzarote.

Off Alcaravaneras beach in Las Palmas is Ok. But only permitted when the port is full (September….until….?) during the ARC.

Playa Santiago La Gomera.

Pasito Blanco Gran Canaria.

Outside Puerto Tazacorte La Gomera.

Outside Puerto de la Vueltas (Valle Gran Rey) La Gomera. Probably the best long term anchorage in the Islands. Often with 30+ boats and “resident” live onboards.

There are many others however those cited are the anchorages where I have stayed from 2 week up to several months.

Bear in mind this is not the Balearics in summer. Swell is a permanent fixture. I (a monohull owner) often look across at envy at the relative comfort of owners in big catamarans when at anchor.

-
pwaterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:54   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwaterman View Post
I have spent the last 3 years pretty much always at anchor in the Canary Islands.

Firstly, there are no all weather, all season anchorages (not that you really get seasons in the Canarias).

There are many anchorages that are well sheltered from the predominant N/NW winds however, the infrequent but extreme blows from the southern segment will make many of these anchorages untenable.

Secondly, you will never get away from the Atlantic swell that finds its way in to even the most sheltered anchorages. The south facing coasts are the most protected from the swell. The swell may come around the islands from either direction depending on the incident swell angle from higher up in the Atlantic so the eastern side of a bay maybe better one day and the western side the next. Sometimes the interference pattern from the two sides can make the seas rather confused.

Many of the “good” anchorages benefit from the proximity of a harbour sea wall which makes things more predictable.

Also be aware that the island terrain lends itself to unpredictable blasts down the gullies (barrancos). Even in extremely calm sub 10kn conditions a small change in gradient wind, land or sea temperature can cause a 30kn+ gust from nowhere. These gusts can vortex around the bays causing boats at anchor to swing in different direction. Unless you have a lot of space, then a short scope is a good idea.

Here are the ones where I have spent most time, sometimes three months plus. In no particular order :

Papagayo Lanzarote (several anchorages near by, including outside of Marina Rubicon and Puerto Playa Blanca)

Off Alcaravaneras beach in Las Palmas is Ok. But only permitted when the port is full (September….until….?) during the ARC.

Outside Puerto de la Vueltas (Valle Gran Rey) La Gomera. Probably the best long term anchorage in the Islands. Often with 30+ boats and “resident” live onboards.

There are many others however those cited are the anchorages where I have stayed from 2 week up to several months.

Bear in mind this is not the Balearics in summer. Swell is a permanent fixture. I (a monohull owner) often look across at envy at the relative comfort of owners in big catamarans when at anchor.

-
Awesome reply, very informative. Thank you.
Old 05-11-2022, 22:58   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwaterman View Post

-
Perfect description! I've spent three years in Lanzarote and Fuerteventura and there are wonderful long stay anchorages there (the one you've listed). Cape Verde is not comparable with Canaries specially for provisions and repairs
bruno2209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:16   #41

Boat: no boat any more

interesting discussion!
one man's "long-term-anchorage" is another man's "no-go"...
Old 07-11-2022, 09:42   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
interesting discussion!
one man's "long-term-anchorage" is another man's "no-go"...
It is amazing the number of cruising sailors that are “completely happy” with their anchoring gear, but at the same time acknowledge unnecessary limitations with where they can anchor and/or what wind conditions may suitable.

Why they don't upgrade their groundtackle and remove the unnecessary restrictions is a mystery.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 14:16   #43

Boat: BAVARIA 40, `00

As a local sailor with some 45 k miles throughout the Canaries I would like to say a few things about the theme. First of all, the only safe marina in all weather conditions is MarinaLanzarote, in Arrecife's natural port. Depending o the gale, worst are from southwest, but being well forecast the previous week, there is time enough to look for port. On the other side sailors must be aware with winds from southeast since they aren't easy to predict and can blow to + 60 knots. It rarely happens, being more frequently to have 40 . Here we say: vientos lestes duermen por la tarde, which means easterly winds become ease in the afternoon. Of cause winds blow stronger leeward the islands and the higher the island the stronger the winds.
Keep safe and be ready to cop with the storm if it ever comes.
Balandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 14:36   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balandro View Post
As a local sailor with some 45 k miles throughout the Canaries I would like to say a few things about the theme. First of all, the only safe marina in all weather conditions is MarinaLanzarote, in Arrecife's natural port. Depending o the gale, worst are from southwest, but being well forecast the previous week, there is time enough to look for port. On the other side sailors must be aware with winds from southeast since they aren't easy to predict and can blow to + 60 knots. It rarely happens, being more frequently to have 40 . Here we say: vientos lestes duermen por la tarde, which means easterly winds become ease in the afternoon. Of cause winds blow stronger leeward the islands and the higher the island the stronger the winds.

Keep safe and be ready to cop with the storm if it ever comes.
Thanks, great to have the locals chime in.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:44   #45

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
It is amazing the number of cruising sailors that are “completely happy” with their anchoring gear, but at the same time acknowledge unnecessary limitations with where they can anchor and/or what wind conditions may suitable.

Why they don't upgrade their groundtackle and remove the unnecessary restrictions is a mystery.
3 remarks:
1. heavy groundtackle doesn't make a marginal/day-anchorage a safe overnight one (for me "safe overnight" means either 360° protection or the possibility to leave in the dark, should serious onshore winds start)
2. while not keeping statistics we always were amazed how acceptance of poor anchorages went along with undesized/inadequate ground tackle (both "classifications" of course very subjective)
3. always having been very cautious with the choice of anchorage with the following g-tackle:
34' cat: 45 & 35lbs CQR on 10 & 8mm chain+16mm Nylon (1rtw)
37' fin&skeg mono: 60lbs CQR 10mm all chain, later 45lbs "Bügel", same chain (2rtw)
40' Elan 410: 30kg Mantus 8mmHT chain (1/3rtw)

isn't "good seamanship" erring on the safe side?

Tags
anchor, men