Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2023, 06:28   #151

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Re: Anchor Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbillman View Post
It's not about safety. It's about legal ramifications regarding insurance and liability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Sadly, this is probably the smartest thing said in this thread. It is NOT about safety -- it's about lawyers.

Yup, Personally, if I see a boat:
underway
not underway
under command
not under command
sailing
motoring
at anchor
aground
on a trailer
in a marina tied to the dock . . .

Well, I just make a conscious decision . . . . not to hit it . . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 06:34   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No thanks, it would be a waste of time, you'll just come up with some more offside justifications for not following ColRegs.
Quote:
Got it. You don't know either.

Old 25-12-2023, 04:31   #153

Boat: Chatam 50

It's all about responsible boat use and complying with the actual regulations. Much like knowing and complying with collision regulations. As with driving a car, knowing the laws and operating your vehicle in a predictable manner will save you grief, especially incase of an accident and the subsequent egal fallout.
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 05:07   #154

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leee View Post
It's all about responsible boat use and complying with the actual regulations. Much like knowing and complying with collision regulations. As with driving a car, knowing the laws and operating your vehicle in a predictable manner will save you grief, especially incase of an accident and the subsequent egal fallout.
except in some geographic areas, the anchor ball is not operating in a predictable manner. it’s unexpected and confusing to 99% of boaters (people who learn locally and not from forums).

That’s why “when i’m rome” is so important, rather than blanket statements.

example: speed limit is 55mph on a 4 lane highway (2 lanes per travel direction) . traffic is moving at 80mph. is it more safe to go the speed limit of 55 or to go 80 like everyone else?

answer: 80 is the more safe speed limit as it reduces your relative speed in comparison to the other cars. when in rome. it doesn’t have an expression devoted to it because it’s a bad idea.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 07:32   #155

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Coronado View Post
But, is it a US-flagged boat? I see lots of non-US flagged boats displaying anchor balls on the N. America side of the pond.
Likely. Can't see the ensign, but not flying a courtesy stars n stripes.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 07:46   #156

Quote:
While I have an anchor ball and a steaming cone, I've never used one. I'm a qualified Navy Surface Warfare Officer, so I pretty much am "certified."

And a curious corollary. If I don't have my anchor down (so am underway) and don't have my engine on (so am not a power boat) and don't have my sails up (so am not a powerboat), where do I fit in the hierarchy? Rule 18 doesn't address a vessel adrift -- and a vessel anchored with no ball could only be confused with a vessel adrift (not with a vessel under power).
There were qualified SWOs on Fitz and McCain, so that "certification" is somewhat suspect

A vessel underway and not otherwise assigned by signal or having sail up, would be a power-driven vessel that would be required to give way. The rules don't state that a PDV needs the engine on to be a PDV. You could hoist flag M to indicate you're drifting, but it's highly unlikely that the average punter in a boat is aware of Interco.
Mind you, you should be maintaining a lookout, so should be aware of a developing risk of collision to allow you to take appropriate action (turn on motor or hoist sail) well before it becomes an issue.
Old 25-12-2023, 07:54   #157

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Likely. Can't see the ensign, but not flying a courtesy stars n stripes.
From past 8 years sailing in many parts of the world it is our experience that many americans do not fly their ensign

Right now at anchor in la paz i can see three boats that i know are american. They are flying the mexican courtesy flag but not the stars and stripes
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 07:58   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
This is accurate. If this was not an international forum, many of us (myself included) wouldn’t know about these on small boats because they aren’t used.

Those who are exposed to the colregs (like me) see them as for bigger, commercial boats, kind of like lights.

who here can display red over white over red on their small pleasure craft for instance?

Day shapes fall into the same category for us
In what instance would a small pleasure craft be RAM?

I have two of the flat-pack anchor "balls" - so I can signal NUC. Haven't strictly needed that yet. Also have emergency battery-powered all-round red lights so can show that at night. Have white ones too, in case anchor light is out.

Always show the ball and inverted cone.
Old 25-12-2023, 09:15   #159
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

For laughs, I Googled "boat anchored Chesapeake." I looked hundreds of images and didn't see one. I then searched "boat anchored Chesapeake black ball" and got images of ships over 100', blog posts about anchoring properly, and magazine articles. In most areas you could go a lifetime and never see one on a recreational yacht. I've looked, and I would remember. I have seen them on charter schooners.

Strange, really. These same people use anchor lights and running lights 100% of the time. They give way to leeward boats and starboard tack under sail, and know that when under power boats crossing from starboard are stand on. The sailors know what a black ball or cone is for. They know the rules and follow the rules ... just not this one.

There is zero chance that the PWC operator mentioned in the above post would have known what the black ball was for. He would have figured it was some sailboat thing. Largely irrelevant in court, though the other lawyer should have been prepared to establish that in the local waters the custom of non-use was so established that it could not have had an effect, and that the PWC operator only knew of the rule because he was coached on it by his lawyer.

Obviously, local sailors look for a rode being down. No rode, the boat could get underway at any moment.

But rules are rules, and judges respect people who follow rules. However, if I am to be honest, there is no chance I will go out and buy a ball, because realistically, I wouldn't use it.

---

Side note. I've published many articles on anchoring and a book, but I never touched on shapes. I have written about the need for supplemental anchor lighting at night. I've never come across and anchored boat during the day that wasn't, well, obviously anchored. But I have often come into anchorages on moonless nights and struggled to make out boats and their locations. I've struggled to find my boat after a late night dinghy or kayak ride--they all look alike, and even when it was the only boat, a single light looks like a star. Now I leave at least the cockpit light on.
Old 25-12-2023, 14:14   #160

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
From past 8 years sailing in many parts of the world it is our experience that many Americans do not fly their ensign

Right now at anchor in La Paz i can see three boats that i know are American. They are flying the Mexican courtesy flag but not the stars and stripes
Well, I can explain part of it. Some places, some Americans have found flying it brings on rudeness. Other times, one might be embarrassed to. Flag number 17 has worn out, the fabric is faded and half gone, and the new half dozen flags have not yet arrived. Americans are not supposed to fly battle, wind or sun worn flags, only ones in good conditions. I'm sure behaviors vary over a long range.

Ann
Old 26-12-2023, 06:01   #161

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Well, I can explain part of it. Some places, some Americans have found flying it brings on rudeness. Other times, one might be embarrassed to. Flag number 17 has worn out, the fabric is faded and half gone, and the new half dozen flags have not yet arrived. Americans are not supposed to fly battle, wind or sun worn flags, only ones in good conditions. I'm sure behaviors vary over a long range.

Ann
Most other countries also require that their flags are flown in good condition. We've been away for 8 years, fly our flag every day from sun-up to sun-down, even when on passage. We have worn out 5 flags. We still have a couple of spares.

Sorry Ann - not a good excuse. Don't know if flying the US flag brings on rudeness.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 07:12   #162

Quote:
Most other countries also require that their flags are flown in good condition. We've been away for 8 years, fly our flag every day from sun-up to sun-down, even when on passage. We have worn out 5 flags. We still have a couple of spares.

Sorry Ann - not a good excuse. Don't know if flying the US flag brings on rudeness.

We are also at anchor in La Paz. If any of the US boats aren't flying a US Flag because they don't have one in good repair, I'd be happy to give them one! But better be quick, because we're leaving Thursday morning, Wx permitting.
Old 26-12-2023, 10:49   #163

"Some places, some Americans have found flying it brings on rudeness. Other times, one might be embarrassed to."

Ann, I understand what you're saying, but you're being way too diplomatically correct. As a guy who has spent a good part of my life in the Middle East, sailed my boat in the Persian Gulf, I would modify your statement to read... flying it makes you a target in some situations.

There certainly are places where staying low-key would be very prudent.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 16:53   #164

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
As a guy who has spent a good part of my life in the Middle East, sailed my boat in the Persian Gulf, I would modify your statement to read... flying it makes you a target in some situations.
And, I heard that in some places it can scare off the bad guys because Americans have a reputation for being dangerous, wary, and unpredictable. We've flown it everywhere from Canada to South America and never noticed any problem. Anyone who seemed to have an attitude because we were American either changed his tune once we chatted or turned out to be not worth knowing anyway! Maybe it's different some places, but when I spot a foreign flag or bump into someone from another country in a harbor or on land I go out of my way to welcome the crew and ask if there is anyway I can help or provide information. I've found the same thing when I travel places, by sea or land.
Old 27-12-2023, 07:14   #165

Quote:
From past 8 years sailing in many parts of the world it is our experience that many americans do not fly their ensign

Right now at anchor in la paz i can see three boats that i know are american. They are flying the mexican courtesy flag but not the stars and stripes
Not disputing this, but picture is apparently in US waters. Not saying the vessel isn't flying an ensign, just that I can't make it out in Dockhead's picture. Can definitely see there is no courtesy flag, suggesting it's not a foreign boat.

Tags
anchor