Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2024, 14:44   #16

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Who Makes the Best RIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman2 View Post
What are peoples experiences with the performance, quality, and reliability from various RIB manufacturers:

AB
Carib Marine
Caribe
Highfield
Avon
Zodiac
BRIG
Rigid Boat
Walker Bay
West Marine
Inmar
Achilles
Others

None of these companies, as far as I know, make RIBs. They import RIBs, and all use the same factories in China. Some of the factories are better than others. As to which factories are used by which labels for which boats in which years, well, that's a secret.

I would welcome any evidence that any of these makers are more intimately and directly involved in the production of the boats they sell.

I would also welcome any evidence that any of these makers are serious about providing warranty service on a worldwide or at least national scale.
Old 29-03-2024, 05:50   #17

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
None of these companies, as far as I know, make RIBs. They import RIBs, and all use the same factories in China. Some of the factories are better than others. As to which factories are used by which labels for which boats in which years, well, that's a secret.

I would welcome any evidence that any of these makers are more intimately and directly involved in the production of the boats they sell.

I would also welcome any evidence that any of these makers are serious about providing warranty service on a worldwide or at least national scale.

I completely agree with the above.

My one thought is that each company chooses to specify certain aspects of the construction details and the overall design of the hull and the shape of the boat.

One brand has a hull with a 13 degree deadrise (west marine) while another chooses an 18 degree (AB).
This choice dramatically effects the user experience.

In the same way, the quality of the fabric (weight, coatings etc) can be specified. Think "Orca" vs "basic" for example. Again, this choice effects price and user experience.

So I agree with you in principle: but disagree that it's a total crapshoot across the board.
I think each boat has comprises, and some much more than others.
BenBowSirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 07:11   #18

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
I completely agree with the above.

My one thought is that each company chooses to specify certain aspects of the construction details and the overall design of the hull and the shape of the boat.

One brand has a hull with a 13 degree deadrise (west marine) while another chooses an 18 degree (AB).
This choice dramatically effects the user experience.

In the same way, the quality of the fabric (weight, coatings etc) can be specified. Think "Orca" vs "basic" for example. Again, this choice effects price and user experience.

So I agree with you in principle: but disagree that it's a total crapshoot across the board.
I think each boat has comprises, and some much more than others.

I think it would serve the CF community incredibly well to focus on these sort of objective, specific differences and any practical consequences they have. Tube diameter, hull geometry (deadrise &c), any objectively measurable differences in fabric (is Orca any different really? how so? to what end?).

The "who makes the best RIB" discussions usually turn into discussions of lifespan, which varies wildly depending on weather, usage, and luck. And warranty service, which appears to be uniformly poor except when the defective boat can be physically taken to the original selling dealer.
Old 29-03-2024, 15:29   #19

Nothing wrong with Chinese if the quality control is there, but not all are made there.
Caribes are made in Venezuela. Apex made in Costa Rica. These are the ones I've been looking at lately. Not so sure about all the others listed.
TBill36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 16:34   #20

The dinks are made all over. Certainly not all in China. AB is made in Colombia, Caribe is made in Venezuela, Achilles is made in Japan. I’ve had very good luck with Achilles over the years. Caribe well I’ve owned one, it was ok. Our latest is AB light weight aluminum because I’m looking for very light weight so passed on a Yamaha 15 2 stroke and went with a light weight Mercury 9.9 2 stroke. It’s a bugger getting old. Hi field dinks are Chinese, had to work at that.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2024, 13:38   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

I used an avon mil specs central console and it was the best.

From among the cheap ones the welded ones are good, the glued ones are crap.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:21   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
From among the cheap ones the welded ones are good, the glued ones are crap.
But... ALL Hypalon tubes are glued seams 'cause you can't weld Hypalon. I think your statement is in error.

Jim
Old 02-04-2024, 04:47   #23

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

"Best" is highly subjective. In my case I needed a dinghy that said 6 people on the capacity plate (thanks, NY State police), which only Zodiac and Highfield make in any sensible size (340).

The Zodiac is much more bare-bones and doesn't look that well-made. The Highfield has a bunch of quality-of-life features that make it much more appealing. Driving it is a joy too, the thing is rock-solid and very stable. Time will tell on reliability but so far it still looks good after a family of 6 has used it daily for almost a year.
emilecantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 05:52   #24

About 3 years ago I bought a new RIB. I called Defender and talked to their head of small boats and asked his preference. He said he preferred AB as their fabric was thicker than Highfield (Defender was a dealer for both). I've been happy with my AB 310 AL. Nice boat.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:19   #25

You might consider adding North Atlantic Inflatables to your research list. last year I replaced a 9 foot West Marine aluminum RIB with 9.9 Merc with a 12 foot NAI aluminum RIB with a 25 Yamaha. The NAI hadles up to a 2 foot chop like a champ and so far the quality appears to be top notch. Pricing is very reasonable compared to Highfield.
sealandsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib