Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2014, 20:05   #16

Boat: csy 37
Re: Small and light outboard

all three of my little motors are two stroke. i can't bring myself to buy a four stroke with all of it's complications. but small two strokes can no longer be sold in the usa so i will have to go to the bahamas to get one.

i've got a nissan/tohatsu 2.5 and 3.5 and the yamaha 3. the nissans weigh about 28 pounds, the yamaha about 37. i think the yamaha is more sturdily constructed, but then it weighs 9 pounds more. but they all do the job. i also like the little yamaha 2hp which weighs next to nothing. i can get one in the bahamas for about $800 new. just might do that this year.

a friend has the honda 2.3 and is pretty satisfied with it.

another friend has an electric trolling motor on his west marine 8 1/2 foot inflatable. it does well in calm water, but in any kind of a strong tidal current i think a gas engine would do much better. the problem with the electric trolling motors is, imho, the propellor. they're pitched for heavy pushing, not fast running. don't know where you could find a faster prop for one.

i've looked at the torqueedos and think they're just too darn expensive.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 20:22   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I own a Lehr 2.5hp propane engine that I really like. It replaced a 2hp gasoline engine. I got tired of cleaning the carb every time I wanted to use it.

It is a four stroke so the weight is about 38 pounds. That is about 10 pounds more than the gas 2 stroke it replaced but still very manageable.

I just spent 5 days working in the Lehr booth at the boat show">Miami boat show. We were selling the 2.5 at about $850 after the Lehr boat show rebate and my boat show special price. Of course in Florida there is sales tax to be added or freight to ship it out of Florida. The price is good for the rest of the week.
Old 17-02-2014, 20:52   #18

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

We bought a Torqeedo Travel 1003 (the updated model). We originally planned to put it on our Walker Bay 8 ft as an aux system but in the event just put it on our Carib 8 ft'er. My wife LOVES the combo. Stable. No mess. No fuss. Just go.

Course, on her own my wive drives at about 1/4 power. Time - she has. Ability to look around - she has. Need for Speed? Not a macho bone in her body. Besides, the motor is so quiet she can even slip close to wading birds!

We also thought about thieves, and lock it up as we would a petrol motor. But... I just don't see the re-sale buyer's market for an electric. Locals here think it's funny looking - like something out of Star Wars! And when they see my wife going so sloooooowwwwlllllyyyyy..... Maybe the idea comes across that it's under-powered and thus useless for them. I dunno...

Don't know why I still drag around the old, dead, will probably never run again, 9.9 Nissan. Before you ask: I've had several motor mechs try repairs. She's dead. The Torqeedo was, for us, a wise and wonderful purchase. No regrets.

James
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 05:35   #19

If speed isn't a concern, you can keep the cost down by using a trolling motor (torquedo seems way overpriced). Battery power doesn't give you much range if you want to go fast.

Propane can be a pain to refill unless you are at a marina with access to a car.

If you want speed and range, you are looking at gas.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 06:53   #20

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapot View Post
If you fancy a four stroke I've always liked the honda 2.3 hp. It's air cooled so no problem with salting up like a lot of other small motors if you don't flush them with freshwater. It's got a centrifugal clutch which can take a little getting used to but generally it's quite a good little motor and no more mixing oil in with the fuel. I think it weighs about 13kg.
+1 on the Honda 2.3
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 08:15   #21

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
My 22-pound 1993 Suzuki 2 HP 2-stroke is still working perfectly. It starts first pull every time and uses a 100:1 oil pre-mix. I've rebuilt the carb, replaced the petcock and fuel lines and consistently run vinegar thru the cooling system.

The integral fuel tank is good for several hours of moderate running.

In my opinion it is the greatest lightweight small outboard every built.
Our 1988 Mariner (relabeled Yamaha) 2-stroke 2hp is also 22lb. Still works like a charm. Has no gears or clutch, so there's no neutral, and we spin it around to go in reverse, but it's ultra-simple. And so much quieter than the air-cooled Honda. The 1-quart built-in tank takes our Avon Redcrest 3-4 miles. Another gallon jug of pre-mix gives us plenty of extra range.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 08:32   #22

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

I like my Honda 2.3. Unlike the two 4 hp 2-stroke Johnsons taking up room in my garage, it actually runs and is easy to start. I can lift it easily. And, for adventurous types, the fact that it starts in gear makes it extra fun! I am glad I'm using it on an inflatable; we tend to bounce off things...
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 09:24   #23

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
If you fancy a four stroke I've always liked the honda 2.3 hp. It's air cooled so no problem with salting up like a lot of other small motors if you don't flush them with freshwater. It's got a centrifugal clutch which can take a little getting used to but generally it's quite a good little motor and no more mixing oil in with the fuel. I think it weighs about 13kg.
Another vote for this. If you are just toing and froing in sheltered anchorages, even a 12 year old can one-arm this on and off the transom.

If you want to get up on the plane, it's a different story. The "semi-clutch" takes a little getting used to, but it's otherwise a sound, reliable unit.

One up (and five more kilos) are all the 3-4 HP Yamahas, Tohatsus, Nissans and et cetera. They also won't get you on the plane, but they will give you 5 knots on a Portabote instead of 4.4 knots (what I get with the wee Honda). Not worth it to me, might be worth it to you.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 14:06   #24

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

Honda has a 5 year warranty but only if it is serviced by Honda dealers. I wouldn't count on warranty on any brand not serviced by their own dealers. The servicing will probably cost more than the motor before long.
My Honda cost $1300 AU my tohatsu 3.5 two stroke cost $1000 AU.
Both motors are about the same weight.
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 14:12   #25

Quote:
I have one of those as well, it's great. Noisy and weak but it sips fuel and has been pretty reliable.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 14:16   #26

Anyone used both the Honda 2.3 4-stroke and the Tohatsu/Mercury/Nissan 3.5 HP 4-stroke? They are about the same price (in the US). The Honda is 10 lbs lighter. I am sure someone on this forum has owned both. It would be interesting to hear how they compare side-by-side.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 14:54   #27

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

If you just want to try an electric so that you know the limitations buy a used Minn Kota on craigslist. They go for about $100. All you need then is a charged up battery. It won't last long in saltwater unless you are lucky enough to get the marine version (white in color). You can't dunk them and you should rinse them off well in freshwater after use.
Our club has used them for years and stepped up to a Torqeedo for use on our Folkboat. It works well for up and down a short river and on and off its mooring.

Tags
outboard