Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2020, 22:12   #31
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: OC Tenders - Review Anyone?

I kind of like the sound of a Quintrex Tinny - Stick a boat collar on like Simi linked to and maybe some more protection to save the mother ship - As even if you never hit the mother-ship whilst coming in it you would never just be able to leave it on the painter without it taking chunks out of it.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 22:49   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
How do they go carrying a load, through the chop with a 15hp on back?
Or getting a diver over the side?
They don't.
Regarding portabote they don't need a 15hp, 5hp willdo and there's a few ways to get a diver over the side as shown by freerange sailing. Can't be very comfortable getting a diver aboard a tinny.

Pros and cons for each otherwise their would be just one type of boat.

Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 23:45   #33

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Regarding portabote they don't need a 15hp, 5hp willdo and there's a few ways to get a diver over the side as shown by freerange sailing.

Pros and cons for each otherwise their would be just one type of boat.
Yeah but in this thread here we are talking about boats that can carry a REAL 3.5m tender be it tin, inflatable, carbon or glass composite.

And you still haven't addressed the load carrying capability and ability to punch through slop for several miles with a 5hp.

We regularly get a couple of months worth of groceries delivered
A dozen cases of wine
Same in beer
80 litres of oil
We even have a 200 litre water bladder that we fill
Won't do it all on one trip
3.5m tinny with a 15hp struggled
But I doubt a fold up origami Portaboat could do any of it

Quote:
Can't be very comfortable getting a diver aboard a tinny.
No problem at all
Ours has welded boarding steps on the back
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 00:06   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Yeah but in this thread here we are talking about boats that can carry a REAL 3.5m tender be it tin, inflatable, carbon or glass composite.

And you still haven't addressed the load carrying capability and ability to punch through slop for several miles with a 5hp.

We regularly get a couple of months worth of groceries delivered
A dozen cases of wine
Same in beer
80 litres of oil
We even have a 200 litre water bladder that we fill
Won't do it all on one trip
3.5m tinny with a 15hp struggled
But I doubt a fold up origami Portaboat could do any of it

No problem at all
Ours has welded boarding steps on the back
Definitely not a use case scenario for a porta bote. Tenders are a compromise too I suppose.

Regarding punching through chop. The porta bote is suppose to flex and give a bit instead of punching through it. But im sure that's a compromise they made for the other conveniences.

If your boat can accommodate a tinny then it's obviously not the intended market for the porta bote.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 01:33   #35

Quote:

If your boat can accommodate a tinny then it's obviously not the intended market for the porta bote.
And, as we are talking about solid 3m plus oc tenders, not just tinnys, origami portaboats are realistically not in the picture.
Old 21-12-2020, 09:45   #36

Following this discussion with interest - I am currently in negotiation with OCTenders about ordering one of their 330 carbon models to be delivered to the UK (that adds just over £2k to the price tab of £7.4k). I particularly like their elegant solution to the fender issue - a broad rub rail (which I intend to order in a funky turquoise colour) all along the side. I even intend to adopt the same in a larger version for our mothership!

My particular circumstances are that my wife is a boating novice and has spinal injuries which necessitate the most stable dinghy tender platform I can get. Here the broad, level and stable GRP sides of the OCT are a major plus compared to inflatable tubes of a RIB. In addition I am seriously considering ordering the FCT7 steering console and bench seating combo from Highfield (at £1k and weighing 36kg) as this will turn the dinghy into a waterborne car equivalent which obviates the body twisting tiller steering usually requires.

However at this point practicalities begin to bite: the smallest petrol engine adapted for remote steering is the Honda 9.9HP (weighs 60kg fully tanked up) and I am keen on electric propulsion (ideally by an ePropulsion Navy 6 with 9kWh Li batteries weighing 127kg). I'd rather not introduce petrol as a third power source alongside diesel and propane, but sadly there's no LPG outboard suitable for remote steering ...

Furthermore I plan to install either a foldable bimini or, preferably, a T-top (latter weighs 47kg) for shade/rain protection and to provide firm handholds for entry and alighting. The vast costs of all of this do not faze me as I'd rather pay top dollar for something that ticks most of the boxes, is unique/highly recognisable (i.e. unlikely to be stolen) and will last us a long time. However ...

These added extras bring the total weight of the dinghy to around a quarter ton and preclude taking any passengers (or much shopping) aboard besides the 2 of us. The OCT people feel the tender is far too heavy being used at its design load limit. The next size up, the 350, offers an additional 65kg of load capacity but will probably not fit on our bathing platform.

Any comment or advice on these considerations - and especially on running rather heavy dinghies - from 'old salts' would be appreciated ...
Ifitsworthdoing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 10:59   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Several cruisers here in the Caribbean have them. I’ve ridden in one.

I lust after this dinghy.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 13:18   #38

G’day UFO
I own a OC Tender, and very happy with it , after years of trying to find a light, easy to handle , and stable tender. I have had ribs and the North Qld sun just killed them covered or not, not what they were hypolon or pvc. I was fed up repairing pin holes, any way.
You will find the OC Tender manufacturers a pleasure to deal with Karin and Russel Carlyon. They will answer all question and yes it does take time between ordering and delivery but we all must wait our turn.
The tender itself will use a smaller outboard than you think due to the design, the tender is stable and able to handle chop and is always easy to launch and recover.
The only thing to be aware of is theGST from the Australian Governement is on everything, the tender, ,extras, packing, freight , delivery, import duties, customs clearance.
They are not cheap but will be the last dinghy you will buy.
I procrastinated for a while but very glad I bought one.
Antipodean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 14:15   #39

Boat: Pescott,Whitehaven, 11.7m

Another type in the DYI category try
Spirited Ripple Tenders . ( NSW)
A variety of sizes and build material options .
Can get a pre cut kit or from plans cut your own panels .
Swimming foam tubes split and fixed to the Gunwhale keep the panic brigade somewhat happy .
Currently in P Bouvard .
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 14:30   #40

Boat: Pescott,Whitehaven, 11.7m

And then not necessarily in the same super yacht league as OC but there is the WA made Spindrift poly dinghy .3m.
IMEx a great little tender pretty indestructable and a great ride .
Less than $2k oz .
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 15:12   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipodean2 View Post
They are not cheap but will be the last dinghy you will buy.
I dont know how you can possibly say that.

They get lost and stolen just as easily as any other dinghy
Might survive rocks and reef more than some, but not as well as others
Old 21-12-2020, 15:32   #42

Boat: Leopard 40
Send a message via Yahoo to Sarayu Send a message via Skype™ to Sarayu

Quote:
If you ever see a tinny hanging off a catamaran you'll know its Australian, if not QLD.
That's a good thing, right?
Sarayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 16:04   #43

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I really find the concept of this dingy offensive. It is heavy and very expensive. I doubt if it handles any better than a RIB. The wide bulwarks limit inside space. Plus it is ugly (UGLY).

In my opinion it appeals to people who have more money than sense.

If you want a hard dingy, get a tinny.

Otherwise get a RIB. Spend the money you save on a trip back home, first class.

Me, I use a soft bottom inflatable, less weight, handles fine, (dry and fast) and is one helluva lot cheaper. (Oh and my zodiac, not the best for sure, is 11 years old, still working fine, 100% in the tropics).

But it is not "cool" and people who see it don't instantly recognize me as being rich or covet my belongings.

But if I could have a hard dingy, I'd choose this one, Gig Harbor Boatworks. Light, fast, you can sail it, and IT LOOKS GOOD!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gig Harbor 12 ft.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	229109  
Old 21-12-2020, 16:06   #44

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifitsworthdoing View Post
Following this discussion with interest - I am currently in negotiation with OCTenders about ordering one of their 330 carbon models to be delivered to the UK (that adds just over £2k to the price tab of £7.4k). I particularly like their elegant solution to the fender issue - a broad rub rail (which I intend to order in a funky turquoise colour) all along the side. I even intend to adopt the same in a larger version for our mothership!

My particular circumstances are that my wife is a boating novice and has spinal injuries which necessitate the most stable dinghy tender platform I can get. Here the broad, level and stable GRP sides of the OCT are a major plus compared to inflatable tubes of a RIB. In addition I am seriously considering ordering the FCT7 steering console and bench seating combo from Highfield (at £1k and weighing 36kg) as this will turn the dinghy into a waterborne car equivalent which obviates the body twisting tiller steering usually requires.

However at this point practicalities begin to bite: the smallest petrol engine adapted for remote steering is the Honda 9.9HP (weighs 60kg fully tanked up) and I am keen on electric propulsion (ideally by an ePropulsion Navy 6 with 9kWh Li batteries weighing 127kg). I'd rather not introduce petrol as a third power source alongside diesel and propane, but sadly there's no LPG outboard suitable for remote steering ...

Furthermore I plan to install either a foldable bimini or, preferably, a T-top (latter weighs 47kg) for shade/rain protection and to provide firm handholds for entry and alighting. The vast costs of all of this do not faze me as I'd rather pay top dollar for something that ticks most of the boxes, is unique/highly recognisable (i.e. unlikely to be stolen) and will last us a long time. However ...

These added extras bring the total weight of the dinghy to around a quarter ton and preclude taking any passengers (or much shopping) aboard besides the 2 of us. The OCT people feel the tender is far too heavy being used at its design load limit. The next size up, the 350, offers an additional 65kg of load capacity but will probably not fit on our bathing platform.

Any comment or advice on these considerations - and especially on running rather heavy dinghies - from 'old salts' would be appreciated ...
What's your mothership? davit capacity? Maybe look into that all aluminum rib style boat that Delos has? Perhaps that could handle your add-ons better. If you're looking to get rid of one fuel type on board, look into diesel galley stove/ovens.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 17:35   #45

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
What's your mothership? davit capacity? Maybe look into that all aluminum rib style boat that Delos has? Perhaps that could handle your add-ons better. If you're looking to get rid of one fuel type on board, look into diesel galley stove/ovens.
The Delos tender
OCEAN CRAFT SV DELOS the real Mcoy with Bouncy Craft Foam O Float All Round Foam Fender

Note for the poster who was talking about stable boarding of tenders, I've seen steps/pads that are glued to a rib to give you a solid foot placement for boarding.

There are other solutions for a lighter weight wheel steering than the FCT, not as pretty though. Ron Hale Marine Ltd - Crossbar Steering Systems 8-12ft up to 60hp
http://inflatableboatworks.com/?attachment_id=3624
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender