Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2013, 07:08   #91
DWJ

Boat: 2007 Hunter 49
Ok I own a lehr 5. My RIB is 99lbs. I have never been able to get the boat on a plane. ( Of course the operator weight may be a contributing factor ) I am really pleased with the engine but getting on a plane may be asking a bit to much.
DWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 09:16   #92
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Lehr Propane Outboards

A 5 horse will generally only plane children or small people. With most boats, even a 9.9 is not enough for two American adults and some gear plus the groceries or laundry. It will probably plane, but it will take time to get there and require the correct trim. To plane a dinghy well with two adults and cargo, especially in any kind of chop, you need a 15.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 10:19   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

From the last few posts it seems that you wouldn't be happy with the 5 hp if you need speed. If you'll settle for displacement speeds, the question becomes do you need 5 hp?

A 2.5 should push you along nicely at slow speeds, it costs about $500 less, and it weighs ten pounds less than the 5hp.

With the 5 you get a reverse gear.

The 9.9 and the soon to be 15 are just too heavy (at least for me) to be lifting on and off a dinghy. The 9.9 short shaft manual start weighs 87 pounds. A motor davit could solve that problem. You would be able to plane, at least with the 15.
Old 23-11-2013, 10:48   #94

Yeah... once you are talking non planing... 2.5-4 hp should be fine.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 20:54   #95

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
I have a 4hp Yamaha and an Avon air floor dingy. My 4hp won't plane with just me. I am considering either 2.5 or 5hp Lehr due to constant carb problems with the Yamaha. I know that 2.5 will push it along but what happens in a wind and a little waver action? Would you wish then it was the 5? Saving $500 would be a plus but not if it won't push along in three conditions. Hopcar what do you advise?
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 21:24   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I wish you guys were closer, I'd grab my 2.5 and get hold of a 5.0 and we'd try them.

I've used my 2.5 on an inflatable with an air floor and it pushed it right along. I'm a big guy, 260 lbs, and the guy who was with me on a couple of trips weighs about 180 and it was plenty fast. I never went out in a strong head wind so I can't tell you what would happen. I can say that the 2.5 feels like a really strong 2.5. Boat US magazine noticed this as well.
"... but it drove boats faster than the same sized Mercury."

They also said it was louder. It is probably a little louder than a similar sized current design gasoline engine.

The reverse gear on the 5.0 is really nice. I hate having to spin the engine around to get it to go backwards.

I was talking to Capt. Herzer, the owner of Lehr, the last time he was in Miami. I asked him to make a 1.5 hp engine because I think the 2.5 is too much for my canoe.
Old 25-11-2013, 22:55   #97

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Lehr propane outboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Could well be true. I'd also suspect 10hp motors might be taxed or otherwise regulated differently than 9.9-hp (i.e., under 10) motors in some jurisdictions.
In Washington State anything over 10 hp and/or over 10 ft. Has to be registered and carry a number w/yearly sticker. There must be others states as well.
Old 26-11-2013, 13:06   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
In Washington State anything over 10 hp and/or over 10 ft. Has to be registered and carry a number w/yearly sticker. There must be others states as well.
There are many regulations that kick in at 10 HP, hence the 9.9 hp engine being so popular
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 13:34   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When Ship Shape TV did a segment on the Lehr outboards they put a 5.0 on a ten foot Walker Bay RIB. It was able to plane, barely, with the host and a big dog. Somewhere I've seen a video of it but now I can't find it. I was talking to the local Lehr sales rep about it and she said they chose the 10 foot boat over the 8 as it put weight further forward.

Old 29-11-2013, 18:25   #100

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Heh... that coulda been me and our First Mutt

-Chris
Old 15-12-2013, 14:00   #101

I'll take you up on the offer! I just purchased a Apex Lite dingy. What is a good day next week to bring the dingy by for a test with the engine?
Seaman gagging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 14:26   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Seaman Gagging, I might have some time to play on Wednesday. It looks like a busy week for me. Why don't you give me a call at my store Monday afternoon. Ask for Parks.
Old 14-02-2014, 06:56   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lehr is showing their new 15 at the Miami International Boat show now. It looks sweet. It's easier to pull over by hand than the 9.9 because it's equipped with a compression release. The 9.9 takes a hefty pull because propane engines run at a higher compression than gasoline engines. I was worried that the 15 would be impossible to start by hand.
Old 18-02-2014, 14:13   #104

Boat: Hanse 385

Any info on that 1.5Hp version anywhere? How much does it weigh / cost compared to the 2.5?

In terms of storing them can you lay them flat no problems? (To store in a cockpit locker for example?)

Also, does anyone know where these are sold in the UK. Been going some Google searches and can't find anyone that sells them.

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 14:28   #105

I know of 4 different engines that have failed. 1 fifteen and 3 five hp. They all seem to be a regulator issue. West Marine allowed a full reimbursement for three of them. All were different owners in different locations. I don't trust them. My friend's 5hp consumed 1lb every 18 min, opposed to the 1hr run time that is advertised.
svJuggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane