Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2020, 09:44   #61

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Ideal Boat Bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post
FWIW I've had and used the Zizzo daily for a couple years. It folds and unfolds easily and quickly I can assure you. If space is a big problem, both front and rear tires are quick release and could be easily stored separately from the frame.

And you can't beat the weight - 23 lb.

=====================================
just received my Liberte.
Refurbished $ 379
FedEx shipped
free shipping
Boxed and packaged perfectly as a new bike
Assembled and rode last night
Just what I wanted
23 Lb sold me
took me 3 weeks to check the site as they are out of stock constantly,just be patient and check couple times a day
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 10:21   #62

We love our Bromptons - they have carried us happily all over London and Dubai and will soon come along on long term cruising. Great folding, very comfortable, classic cruisers. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2165.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	218055Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2163.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	218056Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2177.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	218057
AthenaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 10:33   #63
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I have a Canadian-made SoloRock 16" all-aluminum folder and like it wuite a bit. I ordered the 3-speed internal hub option which is unfortunately an SRAM hub and I'm not particularly fond of it and wish it were a Sturmy-Archer or Shimano S3 hub instead, maybe with a coaster brake to eliminate a cable going back. For that matter an old Torpedo automatic 2-speed hub or Bosch kickback coaster brake hub would be nice too.

I've been keeping my eyes out at used bike breaker shops for a suitable hub which I can rebuild into a new 16" rim.

I used to own and operate a small hobby bike shop back before we went cruising full time and specialized in vintage bikes -especially British-built Nottingham Ralieghs. I amma big fan of the Sturmy-Archer 3-speed IGH and can completely rebuild one with my eyes closed practically.

A derailleur on a folding bike is sheer folly on a boat where the bike is getting tossed around in a travel bag. The slightest pressure on the derailleur will tweek the derailleur hanger which will invariably ruin smooth and precise shifting. Transporting such a bike in a dinghy and loading it in an out of boats and docks is a surefire way to tweek a derailleur hanger. An IGH is a no-brainer IMHO.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 13:24   #64

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

BlackHeron

PM sent
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 08:05   #65

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

The loaner many marinas will let you use is far better than the rusty hulk that got bathed in the North Atlantic for weeks. Some may have a boat big enough to fit them somewhere below but if they are on deck they will rust in no time.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 08:19   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
The loaner many marinas will let you use is far better than the rusty hulk that got bathed in the North Atlantic for weeks. Some may have a boat big enough to fit them somewhere below but if they are on deck they will rust in no time.
As mentioned in a previous post, our full size Trek Districts have been uncovered on the bow for about 12 years with no rust.

Belt drive, no gears, plastic sprockets, plastic pedals, carbon fibre and aircraft aluminum, 21lbs.
Attached Images

Old 26-06-2020, 08:33   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
I find that there is plenty of room on my defender 29 for my dahon no rush in all these years .
There was even room on my ib24 for it had to remove the seat but never a space issue .
Old 27-06-2020, 03:46   #68

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
As mentioned in a previous post, our full size Trek Districts have been uncovered on the bow for about 12 years with no rust.

Belt drive, no gears, plastic sprockets, plastic pedals, carbon fibre and aircraft aluminum, 21lbs.

And no longer made, near as I can tell...

-Chris
Old 25-10-2023, 14:09   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

This search is actually still going on . . .

Here is something interesting I ran across: https://www.theverge.com/22621388/hu...ge-specs-price

Bloody expensive, but I could stretch to that if I thought it would be really better.

I was thinking about the Bike Friday Pakit but it turns out it doesn't fold up as small as it looks.

So I'm leaning towards a Brompton customized by Kinetics in the UK. For €2k you get an Alfine hub drive, new rear triangle with rack, belt drive, hydraulic disk brakes, new fork, new wheels. All you need to add to that is a used Brompton, which you can pick up for for €500 or €600, maybe less if I find one with knackered wheels or drive train. That's about what I expected to pay.

I'm a little concerned about the low gear of about 24" (compare to the 14.6" granny gear of my Jetstream) but I guess I'll be pushing it up hills occasionally.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 08:52   #70

Boat: Colin Archer

Personally I'm very tired of the dirty chain bicycles (as I am of chain-driven motorcycles). Everything eventually becomes oily in the rear unless you clean it very often (and re-oil accordingly, not to let it dry out) and very noisy. With foldable you touch it with your hands, i.e. grab from the rear rim and bah, oily hands, then trousers, etc. Plus everything get's glued on to it if you ride in rain, mud or that sandy beach ride we sailors like to do - horrible grinding noises starts then (...and another cleaning, oiling in a dirty-mess-job follows).

Hence I'll look into Beixo shaft drive foldables. Chainless (also beltless) or in other word shaft drive bicycles are ultra-rare but after I bought full-sized Brik shaft driven bicycle couple of years ago I'm sure it'll be the correct choice for me vs any chain driven bike, even the premium ones like Brompton. They're still dirty chained bikes for me, ditto the belt drive that takes sand and mud inbetween open and exposed mechanics.

Made in Holland, hence very high quality:

https://beixo.com/

Enclosed, clean, neat and elegant design. Requires almost no maintenance. Also has that Shimano premium enclosed hub gears built-in that some mentioned here. Other thing I like about them is they run completely silent, almost like an assassin bike (no wonder why some of the military used only shaft-driven bikes in many countries for scouting runs). On my full sized chainless bike I can only hear tyre contact noise on a very smooth tarmac, otherwise a whisper-quiet ride to enjoy all the sounds surrounding you, unlike that awful "GRRRR" noise on most chained bikes when freerunning.

I assume Beixo is similar and hopefully next year I'll order one of those Beixo foldables for the boat use and will let you know. I'll then have 3 shaft-driven bicycles by then - just shows you how much I prefer them over chained bikes

Briis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 09:07   #71

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It really depends on where you go cruising whether or not bikes are all that useful. We took them south down the East Coast a few times, and they were useful in some places if we stayed there long enough. But, we tend to want to sail off the beaten track and are often anchored someplace where a bike is useless. There are often just trails ashore, and sometimes nothing much other than beach. We sail to get away from roads where bikes are actually useful. And, then when in more urban places, the bike riding is not fun! Plus, you are constantly on the alert for getting the bike stolen. My two cents is that you have to keep the bike below if it is to last, not be in the way, and not be stolen. That means a folding bike. Sure, some of the shaft and belt drives look good, but you have to really want a bike onboard to make them a worthwhile investment. Then you have to store them below, bring them up on deck, put them in the dinghy, unfold, etc. I've done it a million times, but find they just aren't worth it for me on most cruises. My old Dahons are starting to fall apart, and I don't think I will replace them for boat use.
Old 16-11-2023, 09:48   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
It really depends on where you go cruising whether or not bikes are all that useful. We took them south down the East Coast a few times, and they were useful in some places if we stayed there long enough. But, we tend to want to sail off the beaten track and are often anchored someplace where a bike is useless. There are often just trails ashore, and sometimes nothing much other than beach. We sail to get away from roads where bikes are actually useful. And, then when in more urban places, the bike riding is not fun! Plus, you are constantly on the alert for getting the bike stolen. My two cents is that you have to keep the bike below if it is to last, not be in the way, and not be stolen. That means a folding bike. Sure, some of the shaft and belt drives look good, but you have to really want a bike onboard to make them a worthwhile investment. Then you have to store them below, bring them up on deck, put them in the dinghy, unfold, etc. I've done it a million times, but find they just aren't worth it for me on most cruises. My old Dahons are starting to fall apart, and I don't think I will replace them for boat use.
Which dahon do you have and how old are they?
I have a cruise and carry been using it for close to 20 years now both on the boat and at home. Found a quick fresh water rinse of the chain to have been good for it .
Old 16-11-2023, 09:57   #73

After so many years I gave away the not very often used Dahon & after being given a cheap decathlon mountain bike, really little difference in time to dig out the frame & put the wheels on compared to the Dahon but massive difference in have a proper bike which will take you places as opposed to something which could make it round the boatyard & up the supermarket. On those rare times where it makes sense to dig it out.
Should have done it years ago.
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 14:33   #74

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Which dahon do you have and how old are they?
Not really sure. We bought two more than 30 years ago. I have kept one working, using the parts from the other. The one I was using the most began to break spokes on the rear wheel a few years back, so I swapped out the rear wheel from the other. They are both three speeds. I used one for commuting to work about 3 miles each way for a few years. I have ridden 20-30 miles several times on one. They are a bit squirrely with the tiny wheels, and I had one of my worst bike accidents when the front wheel got caught in a train track let into the pavement that ran parallel to my course, until it turned and I didn't want to turn! Some places I go they are fun, like Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, with lots of bike trails. Sadly, I don't really enjoy riding anymore on roads since every third car driver is watching their cell phone instead of the road. A good friend of mine recently died in a bike accident.
Old 16-11-2023, 18:35   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Not really sure. We bought two more than 30 years ago. I have kept one working, using the parts from the other. The one I was using the most began to break spokes on the rear wheel a few years back, so I swapped out the rear wheel from the other. They are both three speeds. I used one for commuting to work about 3 miles each way for a few years. I have ridden 20-30 miles several times on one. They are a bit squirrely with the tiny wheels, and I had one of my worst bike accidents when the front wheel got caught in a train track let into the pavement that ran parallel to my course, until it turned and I didn't want to turn! Some places I go they are fun, like Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, with lots of bike trails. Sadly, I don't really enjoy riding anymore on roads since every third car driver is watching their cell phone instead of the road. A good friend of mine recently died in a bike accident.
That's why I love my area near Seattle Washington. One of the most bike friendly places in America.
Been happily riding mine to the stores and bus stations( the various transit systems here all have bike racks on them.) Makes even hundred mile distances viable .

Tags
boat