Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2024, 07:19   #106

Re: Ideal Boat Bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loredo View Post
I've seen the GoCycle (never ridden one) and they look like really nice, a bit pricey though. What's the width of those once folded? Reason I ask, since I own a Jeanneau, the doors to the aft cabins are not wide enough to allow most if not all -frame folding- bikes through. They become wider than the doors. That's been the main reason for me do go with the Mobiky.
It's 14" wide when folded. Those would need to be some skinny doors if a GoCycle would not fit through!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 08:45   #107

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
https://www.mobiky.com/
We have two electric assisted Youri 16" three speeds on board. Bought them in 2012 and they have been USED a lot. They're still in top shape. The one more used (wifey LOVES that bike) is on its third battery pack. The other on its second. What sets them apart is the way they fold and how they can be stored on a boat. Is it the perfect road bike? Surely not, yet for a dedicated boat bike it is more important how to store it. What is a bike for the boat good for if storing it becomes a PITA?

PS I got the storage bags for both bikes which are awesome for handling the bikes once folded.

That's a very interesting bike! Very unusual design. Never saw anything like that before.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 09:03   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
We have a pair of the GoCycle G4i’s and they are pretty amazing. They only weigh 37 pounds and have approximately a 50 mile range. The down side is they are a little pricey. But we use them all the time and love the quality and how easily they fold down.

Looks like a very nice bike, but with 20" wheels and somewhat bulky looking fold, it will have the same disadvantages that they Dahon Jetstream EX had, which I took off the boat. I need something rather more compact than that. YMMV.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2024, 00:46   #109

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's a very interesting bike! Very unusual design. Never saw anything like that before.

I don't want to look like wanting to sell bikes. I have no affiliation, just completely happy after many years of use.

Have a look at this video:
The video is not a fake, folding or unfolding the Mobiky takes no more than 10 seconds. In my opinion all depends upon the fact if a bike can be easily stored on ones boat. BTW I did not want a bike with a derailleur on the boat thus I went for the three speed hub instead.
Loredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2024, 05:54   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
I don't want to look like wanting to sell bikes. I have no affiliation, just completely happy after many years of use.

Have a look at this video:
The video is not a fake, folding or unfolding the Mobiky takes no more than 10 seconds. In my opinion all depends upon the fact if a bike can be easily stored on ones boat. BTW I did not want a bike with a derailleur on the boat thus I went for the three speed hub instead.
Nice but I will stick with my good old dahon cruise & carry. A bit heavy ( stainless frame) 3 speed hub . Just wish it had folding pedals but that would interfere with the toe clips I added. Only about 12 inches wide. No rust not bad for a 1991 bike that has spent most of its life on boats .

Tags
boat