Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2016, 12:29   #1

Lightbulb I think I found a solution to my dingy problem. Nucanoe! Seems to get good reviews!

Ok! So I've been looking for a dingy for my boat. I thought I could do without one, and although my boat drafts very little (16" with motors up... actually less!) and I've been able to beach just about anywhere that I need to with a bow and stern anchor (sometimes two stern anchors LOL), there was a time where that may not have worked out if we weren't lucky. Plus I can see where it will be useful if we want to explore little areas, etc.

I don't want an inflatable. Mostly because I don't have the room for it and I don't want to have to deal with it when something goes wrong with the seams or something. I understand that they have roll-up ones, etc. But I'm really just not interested in blowing it up, etc.

My boat has limited places I can store a dingy. I really don't want it across the bow, don't want it on the rail and don't want it in the cockpit. The place I feel most comfortable is on the hardtop between the tower and the hardtop. It is out of the way there and can be firmly mounted. Which means, if it's up there, I'd rather it not be too heavy. The only thing I've ever had up there for a long trip is a kayak. And it went really well having it there.

So... what do I stumble upon? Nucanoe. Basically a wider than average kayak with a flat transom for a 2.5 HP motor. I can store the motor with ease in a few different spots (actually I think I'd get padded bag of some kind for the motor) and I can rig the hardtop for it (boat) with ease. Not heavy and the best part is, I can get 3 people on it. (The 12' model).

Brand new with a 2.5 4S, I should be around $1500 and it it should last almost forever (or at least longer than an inflatable).

The second bonus is that I already have a kayak, so each kid will have one and not deal with that any more!

Stupid idea? Flawed? Hit me with your idea(s).

Thanks,
Pete

Fishing Kayaks | Hunting Kayaks | NuCanoe

Specs: Classic 12

Length:12
Beam (Width):42
Height:12-16
Draft:4-6
Hull Weight:77 lbs
Seating Capacity:1-3 ppl
Max Weight Capacity:525 lbs
Maximum Auxiliary Power:2.5 HP or equivalent
Old 23-08-2016, 12:38   #2

Re: I think I found a solution to my dingy problem. Nucanoe! Seems to get good review

How do you envision using it? Getting from a safe mooring/anchoring location to the dingy dock? Or would you include beaching/more remote rural locations? If the latter - I would paddle with swim gear and invest in good drybag/floating canisters/containers.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 12:46   #3

Re: I think I found a solution to my dingy problem. Nucanoe! Seems to get good review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
How do you envision using it? Getting from a safe mooring/anchoring location to the dingy dock? Or would you include beaching/more remote rural locations? If the latter - I would paddle with swim gear and invest in good drybag/floating canisters/containers.
From mooring to dingy dock (dingy beach) and/or just tooling around in the general vicinity of the mooring location.

Swim gear, etc. is going to make it tough to get drinks beach toys, etc. to a small beach of sand bar... no?
Old 23-08-2016, 13:33   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

You're in the same weight range as an eight foot Walker Bay Dinghy, and with the optional inflated collar if you can take the additional beam. That's a very stable non-planing option for you to consider.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 13:57   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

You might also check out the Gheenoe. I believe the Nucanoe is a take off of the Gheenoe.
Old 24-08-2016, 08:29   #6

I'd buy a Porta Boat. Folds and stores into the same space or less. Probably lighter. Can be rowed, motored or sailed. And once opened is a proper boat that you, your partner, and all your stuff fit inside of.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 09:25   #7

Biggest issue is: can you easily get into and out of the dink without tipping it over? From the boat? That was our criteria for finding a dink. All else can live with, but not that issue.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 13:57   #8

google up fold a boat it will suit your needs and you can strap it to your swim step or tow it

very durable
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 15:03   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It would help to know what type of vessel you have, & to see some images of her, so that we know where things are to be stowed. And in that regard, some dimensions would help as well.

Ditto on what kinds of loads you want the tender to carry, for how far, propelled by what & at what speeds. And the other chores that you'll be using the tender for as well. Since most tenders wind up acting as both a pickup truck/grocery getter, kids play toy, fishing/diving platform, as well as taking the family to church on Sunday.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 17:05   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

We just ordered a Dinghy Sling from harbormenmarine.com
Worth a look. Reasonable.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 17:20   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Probably fine, lots of folks use hardshell plastic kayaks. I'd have no place for that on my boat, too big, so I use an inflatable kayak... holds 850 lbs (the whole family!), pretty rigid floor and, can stand up in it (if you are careful) and it goes well into the wind. You might do well to not rule out inflatables yet, there are some good, tough ones out there.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 13:10   #12

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
Ok! So I've been looking for a dingy for my boat. I thought I could do without one, and although my boat drafts very little (16" with motors up... actually less!) and I've been able to beach just about anywhere that I need to with a bow and stern anchor (sometimes two stern anchors LOL), there was a time where that may not have worked out if we weren't lucky. Plus I can see where it will be useful if we want to explore little areas, etc.

I don't want an inflatable. Mostly because I don't have the room for it and I don't want to have to deal with it when something goes wrong with the seams or something. I understand that they have roll-up ones, etc. But I'm really just not interested in blowing it up, etc.

My boat has limited places I can store a dingy. I really don't want it across the bow, don't want it on the rail and don't want it in the cockpit. The place I feel most comfortable is on the hardtop between the tower and the hardtop. It is out of the way there and can be firmly mounted. Which means, if it's up there, I'd rather it not be too heavy. The only thing I've ever had up there for a long trip is a kayak. And it went really well having it there.

So... what do I stumble upon? Nucanoe. Basically a wider than average kayak with a flat transom for a 2.5 HP motor. I can store the motor with ease in a few different spots (actually I think I'd get padded bag of some kind for the motor) and I can rig the hardtop for it (boat) with ease. Not heavy and the best part is, I can get 3 people on it. (The 12' model).

Brand new with a 2.5 4S, I should be around $1500 and it it should last almost forever (or at least longer than an inflatable).

The second bonus is that I already have a kayak, so each kid will have one and not deal with that any more!

Stupid idea? Flawed? Hit me with your idea(s).

Thanks,
Pete

Fishing Kayaks | Hunting Kayaks | NuCanoe

Specs: Classic 12

Length:12
Beam (Width):42
Height:12-16
Draft:4-6
Hull Weight:77 lbs
Seating Capacity:1-3 ppl
Max Weight Capacity:525 lbs
Maximum Auxiliary Power:2.5 HP or equivalent
Hey Pete, I think you hit on the right setup for yourself. Seems logical for your purposes. I talked to a couple on the AICW and they loved their folding boat. Definitely a space saver. Don't know about longevity. Good reviews.
I wouldn't sell short the proper noteworthy reputable brands . They can take a beating with a little tlc to keep them alive.There are several brands I'd stay away from , and also some of the materials are less than noteworthy and a waste of money. I was fortunate to have purchased a 84 Avon in Dorf county wi.
The history is it was purchased in Venezuela by PO. Taken very good care of by them. Not one patch. Hard bottom insert of aluminum/plywood , inflatable keel has slight leak, every couple weeks needs a pump up in keel only. It did have the start of some parts separation. H66 vinyl repair adhesive works wonders. It has the attached bow skirt, it's 11.6 ft and carries both of us , cargo and two large standard poodles while fishing even. Came with 4hp Johnson starts every time with gas tank, hose, Taylor fenders, bellows, two PDFs, several lines but no anchor, found a little danforth with 50 ft line for 10 bucks. But the kicker was I got the dink and all for 275$ ! No lie.
The dingy was left out side by me (shame on me) against our Columbia on the hard for a year and a half under some pressure not deflated. Retrieved it a couple weeks ago, still holding plenty of air and no worse for wear.
I've chosen a file pic but preview doesn't show it
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 17:56   #13

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Fold-a-boat, my fishing buddies up here have them at all of their remote camps. Fold flat tie to float struts the on the Cessna and away they go. Lite, durable, wont break the bank.
Unless you are on a pocket cruiser (small trailerable boat) you have room, and then some.
Or, if you just want something different from what someone else has, I do understand.

Tags
reviews