Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2009, 11:42   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Etienne Botes
Flushing Outboard Motor with Fresh Water

Hello all!

I am a newbie here and I have a question regarding the small outboard engine used on the dinghy.
I used to own an offshore fishing boat with 2 Yamaha outboard engines, and everytime we used the boat, the engines had to be flushed by using a hosepipe and plastic "earmuffs"-shaped contraption to start the engine on dry land and flush the engine with freshwater. This obviously to ensure longevity and prevent rust.
My question is: do cruisers do this too? Surely this must be a hell of a headache, as I assume this little boat is used a lot if anchored out.
The second part of my question is: do cruisers remove and store the little outboard engine from the tender / dinghy if underway?

Sorry for my newbie questions. Thank you all!
Etienne Botes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 11:55   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Storing.....I remove and store my small outboard on the sternrail while underway.. with a mounting plate.

Flushing....I fill a sturdy 60 gallon garbage tote with fresh water..then set the outboard in and run it...I uses a short piece of 2 x 4 to clamp on to...then use the water to wash my car...water the flowers etc.
Old 24-01-2009, 12:08   #3

Boat: Tayana 48
When our dinghy and motor are in constant use (every day or every other, which is often the case while cruising), we don't bother flushing the motor. If the motor is mounted on the stern rail in anticipation of a passage, and if I have access to dockwater, I'll give it a good wash and flush using those ear-muffs you mentioned.
John
Old 24-01-2009, 12:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
then use the water to wash my car...water the flowers etc.
Wow! You have all that on board? Tempest245 (Larry Ellison) forgot he was on the small yacht forum.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 24-01-2009, 13:01   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Many new outboards have a flush attachment where you screw a garden hose into it. This is not the old mouse ears that you put over the inlets near the propeller. The attachment is higher up and out of the water.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 13:07   #6

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Talking

Ha...Ellisons boat is my Dinghy....
Old 24-01-2009, 14:08   #7

Aah, thank you. Very funny Tempest.

I gather that it is not practical to flush it every day after use. I also suppose reasonable care and maintenance is the keyword here, in other words, flush them as often as is practically possible, right?

Best to all.
Old 24-01-2009, 14:58   #8

Boat: Tayana 48
Etienne...Yes to "reasonable care and maintenance".
Also, when flushing, make sure the fresh water is running and getting to the intake BEFORE starting the engine. Otherwise, the impellor runs while dry, and it doesn't like to do that.
John
Old 24-01-2009, 21:40   #9

Boat: Norseman 447
Never flush our outboard, just wish the piece of Sh$t Johnson would hurry up and die so I can get something decent
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 03:08   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
We have never flushed our Tohatsu outboards in 15 years of usem and have never had a cooling system problem--don't ever give them the idea that they are to be pampered.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 03:40   #11

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Our 18 year old Yamaha as well as our new Honda both have a flushing screw that comes out near the propeller. A fitting (provided by the manufacturer) screws in and the hose snaps on. I use it most of the time with the deck wash and always am able to start either on the first or second pull. Maybe because I do baby them a little, we have little problems (virtually none) with either. We also put them in the shop for the 100 hour service each time, maybe extravagent, but when you consider how much you rely on them, and how painful it is when they won't start, money well spent.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 07:11   #12

had an old 57 mark 28 super hurricane that came equipped with a flush attachment under mount bracket from fact.. wonder why they did away with it in later years?
anyway Etienne just rinse outside when done and grease pivots once and awhile while in-use. the new/er outboards have better corrosion resistant paint etc. than before so you don't need to flush as much. as to maint. if it is not broke don't fix it only do reg. pre season and post season maint. and you should be fine
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 08:55   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
My Yamahas are my prime movers. I'm plumbing in permanent freshwater flushing lines to the hose bibs near the gear shifts (these are 2008 8hp High Thrusts) with a Salt-Away mixer.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 10:05   #14

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
We have never flushed our Tohatsu outboards in 15 years of usem and have never had a cooling system problem--don't ever give them the idea that they are to be pampered.

I was just about to post the same exact message, only mine's a 9.9 pumped up to a 15. Oh yeah, it's a 1993 vintage and it still runs fine.

Imho, it's more important to rinse off the outsides and linkages etc. than the cooling system. Keep the tilt and steering mechanisms lubed as well as the transom clamps.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 12:06   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
To flush or not to flush?

Another vote for benign neglect!

In 23 years of full time cruising, we've never once flushed out our dinghy motors, unless you count the occasional trip up a river into brackish waters.

Result? Johnson 15, vintage 1976 sold in Fiji in 1990, running well and on original pump impeller. External bits rusting and falling off, tho'. Replaced with Suzuki 15 which was running fine on its second impeller when it was stolen in Hobart in 2006 (I hope that it fails catastrophically in an awkward place for those bastards)!
Replaced with Yamaha 15 which is also fine,but it is a bit too new to brag about longevity yet.

I do second the advice to wash off the external bits when possible (doesn' take much fresh water), and to keep up the grease regime. These new (2 stroke) motors are bloody marvelous compared to the cranky buggers of yesteryear!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying gladstone Qld Oz

PS: Hi to the Klondikes...
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine flushing, outboard