Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2009, 10:46   #1

Boat: Cascade
Flushing a raw water cooled Yanmar

Hi
I spoke to a clerk at a local marine store about flushing my 1gm10 as it is raw water cooled. I was wondering if it would extend the life of it. He spoke of a product called salt away that would reduce salt/ calcium deposits in the engine. He also spoke of Vinegar and told me to run a gallon of vinegar into the engine and shut it of for a day or two.

Is this really wise? On top of the fact that it may not work, I'm quite concerned about seals or anything else this may attack.

I did read somewhere that you could do this with the head to help remove deposits but in the engine??

I searched the site but couldn't find anything.

Also. Does it help significantly to flush the engine with fresh water at the dock after use?
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 12:02   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
We have been using SaltAway to help keep our sea water systems--engine cooling system, AC heat exchanger system and heads-clear for several years and the product has proven quite satisfactory. We keep a very dilute mix in plastic squeeze bottles in the heads and once they have been pump clear after use, add a few squirts to the bowl and pump that iinto the lines. With this, the lines have remained clear and joker valves clear and pliable as we have continued to inspect them at routine intervals. As for your engine, I assume you have a raw water filter. If so, throughly soak a small piece of spong in SaltAway and place it in the filter basket that normally traps debris. Then, run the engine for a moment or two, until you see evidence of the material in the raw water exhaust flow. With that, shut down the engine and let it sit overnight to allow the SaltAway to work. It will do so even in salt water. The folllowing day, start and run you engine until all evidence of the material has disappeared and then open and remove the spong from the debris basket on your raw water filter and you're good to go.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 14:19   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
It's a pretty friendly product. Non toxic, biodegrabable, and won't attack the rubber seals in your head. It's made from secret herbs and spices known to remove salt. They are not telling the recipie. It's been around a while and many people like it. I just wouldn't drink it.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 15:42   #4

Boat: Cascade
Thanks.

What about vinegar in the head or engine?
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 17:11   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
What about vinegar in the head or engine?
It works too. You might use more of it instead. I would not say they are equal.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine flushing, raw water, salt, vinegar, yanmar