Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2020, 10:47   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Boat Bikes II

I am now using my beloved Dahon Jetstream EX on land, and almost as primary transportation. It beats a normal bike for city use by far because you can fold it up and throw it into the trunk of a rental car, for example, or take it on a tram where a normal bike is forbidden, while not really riding any worse than a good road bike. I've put so many miles on it now that the bottom bracket is knackered and I need to do a complete mechanical overhaul.

And the Jetstream was not an ideal boat bike as it does not fold up all that small or all that gracefully, and has vulnerable bits hanging off it when folded. I'm tired of hauling it into and out of the laz and straightening out bent derailleurs and chain wheels.

So now what? In the constant search for a better compromise, I think I will now have to look at 16" wheel bikes for the boat -- eek. I will lose the ability to stretch my legs in the country, but for "land dinghy" purposes maybe something like that will be workable, and I should be much better able to stow it. At least I'm willing to give it a try.

So which one?

Main contenders so far are:

1. The classic Brommie. Plus: Superb fold; incredible packaging. relatively cheap (the 3 speed model anyway). Minus: Heavy.

2. Dahon Quix D3 (new model with a Brompton-like vertical fold). Plus: Light. Cheap. Minus: Derailleur.

3. Bike Friday Pakit. Plus: Everything. Minus: Very Expensive. Long lead time.

Any thoughts?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 11:06   #2

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: Boat Bikes II

You are probably aware, but worth mentioning just in case, that there are two different wheel sizes called 16". The Brompton (and I think Pakit) have the 349 rim size, while the Quix D3 has the smaller 305 rim size.

I think you'd notice the difference with the smaller 305 wheels more than the intermediate sized 349 wheels.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 11:07   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
You are probably aware, but worth mentioning just in case, that there are two different wheel sizes called 16". The Brompton (and I think Pakit) have the 349 rim size, while the Quix D3 has the smaller 305 rim size.

I think you'd notice the difference with the smaller 305 wheels more than the intermediate sized 349 wheels.

I was not aware of this and so very grateful to you for pointing it out
But 305mm is only 12 odd inches -- how can anyone call that 16"? uzzled: That's weird.

Edit: Anyway, here's the explanation: "The Curve, like previous 16 inch wheeled Dahons, uses the 305 sized wheel, which is significantly smaller in diameter than the 349 version of 16 inch wheel (which is used, for example, by the Brompton). Availability of high pressure narrow tyres is much better for the larger 355 rim. Conventionally, the view has been that narrow, high pressure tyres run much more freely than fat, lower pressure, wide ones (ie less rolling resistance). However, this view has been challenged more recently, and indeed it would seem that good quality fat tyres, with supple side walls, may well perform almost as well as much narrower, higher pressure ones. Generally 305 tyres are wider and run at lower pressures, and are higher profile, which reduces slightly the difference in overall rolling diameter of the wheel and tyre compared with the 355 size; the larger air pocket and lower pressures also serve to reduce the harshness of ride which tends to come with smaller wheels and no suspension. The Curve is fitted with the Schwalbe Big Apple tyre, which is exceptionally wide for a road tyre (2 inches), and is designed to run at relatively (by recent standards) low pressures (up to 70 psi, but many users seem as/more happy with its performance at 45 psi or so), but with remarkably good rolling resistance."

http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/Mike/curve....eels_and_Tyres
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 30-03-2020, 11:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I was not aware of this and so very grateful to you for pointing it out
But 305mm is only 12 odd inches -- how can anyone call that 16"? uzzled: That's weird.

The ISO rim size is the actual diameter of the rim in mm. The 16" size is the alleged diameter of the outside of the tyre.
Old 30-03-2020, 11:51   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Smaller wheels does not mean lower speed, not really. It means faster acceleration though and it does most often mean a rougher ride and that can lead to suspension, which is an evil thing if your after speed.
Until you have talked to the folks at Bike Friday and talked about them building you a custom bike, you have not found the best folding bike.
Now your going to pay for it, but it’s the best bike available, tailored to your individual wants and needs.
I have no idea if they are open, but try to give them a call.

No “real” bicycle has wheels measured in inches

See what they say about small wheels, and yes apparently they say inches too.
https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 12:08   #6

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

What’s the consensus on the Carbo X? This is the one I’ve had my eye on for a while. Carbon fibre frame for lightness, belt drive to avoid oil going everywhere down below, seems to tick all the boxes for boat use:

https://ridecarbo.com/products/carbo...31309818953791

I was about to order this before everything hit the fan, and still might when things change...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 12:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Until you have talked to the folks at Bike Friday and talked about them building you a custom bike, you have not found the best folding bike.
Now your going to pay for it, but it’s the best bike available, tailored to your individual wants and needs.
The trouble with this is that Dockhead already has a very very good folding bike in his Jetstream. What he wants is a bike that folds better, not one that rides better ... to me that screams Brompton ... but he can make his own decision on the compromises involved.
Old 30-03-2020, 12:24   #8

I had a small wheel bike from Decathalon two years ago

I bought it because it stored nice against them stern pulpit

Didn’t like the bike , gave it away

Only good for cruising the marina

The small wheels can’t jump kerbs , don’t like pot holes and are clumsy when loaded with groceries and whatnot

The normal size, step thru city bike gets the job done better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0BEE0D3F-E015-49F8-9770-BA8066B6F020.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	211626   Click image for larger version

Name:	6B36569A-5F0F-46F0-92E1-6EDA3A053119.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	211627  

slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 15:43   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The trouble with this is that Dockhead already has a very very good folding bike in his Jetstream. What he wants is a bike that folds better, not one that rides better ... to me that screams Brompton ... but he can make his own decision on the compromises involved.

Well, I did talk to the Bike Friday people -- long and the short of it is that a Pakit configured the way I wanted would cost North of $3500 -- and that's in the U.S., before shipping, customs duty, and VAT. And would take months to make.

I do really like the carbon belt and some other things about the Pakit, but at the end of the day it's still tiny wheels with no suspension, so basically the same problems a Brompton has for quadruple the price. No way will that Pakit ride like my Jetstream, which I can even ride down flights of stairs with the brilliant German A suspension, which laughs at curbs.

So yeah, I think a Brommie is pretty much at the top of the list at the moment, but I am curious about the brand new model Dahon, which has an imitation Brompton type fold and is lighter (the Brommie's a bit of a brick, and that's not good considering how much manhandling into and out of dinghies etc. will take place).

The only thing which keeps the Pakit on the list is that it fits -- in a backpack. Getting it there requires some disassembly which is a lot more faff than just folding the Brommie, but this would be acceptable on the boat where the bike doesn't have to be folded up every day, just when we go to sea.

Hmmm.
Walt Whitman
Old 30-03-2020, 16:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm tired of hauling it into and out of the laz and straightening out bent derailleurs and chain wheels.

With regard to this (Not wishing to sound like the Brompton fanboy that I am) ... One more thing about the brompton fold that you might like, apart from the compact size, is that the drive-train, chain, chain-ring etc end up in the middle of the fold protected on either side by one of the wheels. Which I think is not the case for either the Pakit or Dahon.
Old 30-03-2020, 16:36   #11

Boat: Amel 50

This is what I chose. It's great quality and the closest thing to a folding single gear bike.

https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/473/link-d7i
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 16:39   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you want the best, and I sense you do, then it’s a Bike Friday, but I would also do what I did for my Lightspeed Ultimate a long time ago and that’s be measured and have the frame built specifically for me, it’s like having taylor made clothes as opposed to buying off the rack.
Not that I’m a clothes person, I’m not.
You and I have argued about suspensions, I believe they are excellent for downhill mountain bikes, and that’s it.
But then I won’t ride on cobble stone either, nor wear street shoes to ride, but I don’t ride anymore so it’s all for naught.

Couple of Pakits for $1,700
https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/adverts

However new they seem to run about $2,400 for one with belt drive 8 sp, what are you specifying to get it to $3,500? You don’t want an Ebike do you?
Old 30-03-2020, 16:47   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
With regard to this (Not wishing to sound like the Brompton fanboy that I am) ... One more thing about the brompton fold that you might like, apart from the compact size, is that the drive-train, chain, chain-ring etc end up in the middle of the fold protected on either side by one of the wheels. Which I think is not the case for either the Pakit or Dahon.
I believe with a belt drive there is no derailleur so it’s not as important, but if you do get a derailleur bike be sure it has replaceable drop outs and you have a replacement.
Old 30-03-2020, 16:54   #14

My personal fav
http://giflybike.com/checkout.html
Grimgrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 18:38   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Stowing a bike on deck for a passage is a non starter. Bought a used folder cheap and stowed it on the foredeck for one boisterous 80 mile reach. Still trying to get the rust stains out of the gel coat and the bike has been dumpstered because everything rusted/corroded after that one sail.

Love my Bike Friday New World Tourst, wouldn't go on a cruise without it, and its paid for itself many times over. Have been using it on the boat and for air travel for more than 10 years. Like the bike so much haven't ridden my other bikes in years. Even though it fits in a suitcase for stowage in the V berth or flying, it doesn't fold down in a second which you want for a commuter bike.

They've designed the Packet with 16" wheels, very quick fold and weight under 20# to fit that bill. Unfortunately they don't come cheap. One with a three speed hub and belt drive runs more than a boat unit and more than two for an 8 speed hub and/or electric drive.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat