Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2021, 12:22   #1

Boat: Southern cross 35
Aries #5 vane dimensions

Does anyone know the dimensions of the wooden vane that drives an Aries #5 windvane?

I found this paragraph in a thread here on cruisers forum but it conflicts with info I've found elsewhere

"My vane is a three layer mahogany laminate 5mm thick. It is about 115mm long, 22mm wide at the base and 18mm at the top. No paint. Seems to work fine in moderate winds. Have not really tried in very light air."

This could be correct but obviously the length and width should be in centimeters.

The old Aries vane website says 6mm plywood but does not mention the other sizes. Somewhere else said it should be 6.5 inches across but did not specify a height.

I've contacted the new owners of Aries and they do not know the dimensions of the no5 vane.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it and should just make something and see what happens.

Thanks
Josephcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries, men