Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 21:18   #1

Aries Wind Vane

Hello all, I was just presented with an oportunity to buy a older but never used aries self steering wind vane, What comments do you all have on these, and will the wheel attachment also fit on my helm because I have a simrad w30 auto pilot?
Cheers
D
Old 27-11-2012, 21:23   #2

Boat: Freya double ender 40 ft
Re: aries wind vane

We have an airies lift up and it is a great bit of gear. Other forums cover the reputations but the airies is the most famous, cant tell you if it is the best as i have only used this one and a rare Norwegian one.
Dulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 08:21   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

That post is over seven years old. I suspect his choice was made by now.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 08:30   #4

The Aries wheel attachment goes on the side of the wheel facing the helmsman. Does your simrad go on the same side or the back side of the wheel. I had Aries on 2 of my boats(37ft with tiller and 44ftCC with wheel) and loved how they handled the boat. Just make sure to disassemble the whole unit and grease everything with the Lanolin based anti sieze compound. This should be done every other year or so, or things tend to corrode together. Aries is a great unit.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 08:34   #5

OOPs, I didnt notice the date. I wonder how a question like that never got an answer?_____Grant.
Old 29-11-2012, 02:04   #6

Boat: Freya double ender 40 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
That post is over seven years old. I suspect his choice was made by now.
I noticed the date but old discussions are still a good ref point and if you are looking for an airies then the info remains current but i do get where your comming from.
Dulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 07:32   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Aries Wind Vane

Everyone here has probably replied to an ancient query at some point, and I concur that it can sometimes spark a "refreshed" discussion of some value.

The Aries has a good rep, but aren't as popular as the Monitor or perhaps even the Cape Horn. No idea why.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 19:41   #8

Re: Aries Wind Vane

A search for Aries on this forum should bring up some posts by ROVERHI about the differance between Monitor and Aries. He has owned and sailed with both brands and (if I remember correctly) said that the Aries was easier to adjust under sail. My experiance has been with the Aries, and I found it very easy to use.__Another 2 cents worth.____Grant.

Tags
aries, aries wind vane, wind