Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2020, 07:41   #1

Boat: Deerfoot 61
Aries servo rudder dimensions

I am hoping someone has an wind vane">Aries wind vane and can measure the rudder. I need the length, width (also know as chord, a straight line from trailing edge to the leading edge), and the distance from the rudder shaft to the front of the rudder.

I need to fabricate a missing rudder for a Aries wind vane. It is an Aries No 3 - The Standard Vane Gear (1970 - 1990), but the dimensions from any version would be helpful.

Thanks!
tdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:59   #2

Boat: Westsail, 32, CAN DO
Re: Aries servo rudder dimensions

I just found this post. I have the dimensions if you still need them.
I believe my Aries is a #3.
The dimensions are: length=29 7/8"; width=7"; thickness at widest point=2"
forward side of shaft to front of rudder-1/2"; Rudder post 1 1/2" diameter.
I hope this helps.
I can send (via email) pictures if that would help.
Good luck!
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:54   #3

Boat: Deerfoot 61
Re: Aries servo rudder dimensions

Hello Phillip,

Thanks very much for that. I was helping a friend rebuild his Aries. We did manage to get it completely rebuilt. I have a small lathe which was instrumental. In the end, for the rudder, we found a fellow in the EU that was making them and bought one. That was good for me, since I had quite a lot of work getting the vane disassembled and replacing all the worn bushings and other parts. We also made a stern bracket to allow his tiller pilot to operate the Aries using a cut down paddle. It all worked beautiful when it was completed. I did have to make the breakaway tube, as this did not come with his new rudder.

It was funny, just after he ordered the rudder I found a boat in a local yard that was sitting on land that had an Aries. I could have patterned the rudder, but since he already ordered one, we went that route. It was kind of a fun project and my friend much appreciated getting the vane working again. He headed south in November.

Cheers,
Tim
tdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries, men, rudder