Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2019, 16:26   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
AB? Gluing hypalon tubes to aluminum hull

Got a great price on a fairly rare West Marine 275al with the Avon hypalon tubes.

Tubes in pretty good shape, no patches of leaks. So UV damage but not bad for a 2005.

Now you know this Avon material is tuff since the hull is needing more work than the tubes.

Main issue is has white powder coating that is coming loose. About 30% is already off. Issue is going to be as if spreads tubes are glued to the powder coat.

What's the best glue to use. I've heard AB had a big problem with boats a few years ago. The bars metal does get hotter. This is mostly a second dinghy for our family and will be pushed fairly light with a 3.5 hp would like to deflated often for storage which puts a lot of strain on the glue. Hoping it's ok awhile, but will need to be completed reglued to hull long before tubes wear out.
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 13:54   #2

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42
Re: AB? Gluing hypalon tubes to aluminum hull

I think if you search the CF you'll find a number of suggestions but often 5200. My old AB aluminum RIB had the same problems and was leaking at the hull/tube join. Solution was to open the seam up, clean it up and use 5200 to reseal. Can't tell you how it has lasted however. Leak discovered on selling it earlier this year (after usual winter storage on deck), and buyer did the work, I discounted the price.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 14:45   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
AB? Gluing hypalon tubes to aluminum hull

AB I think for part of one year’s production didn’t use some kind of primer that they use to glue the tubes to the hulls, and got very early failures, I mean while they were still in warranty I believe.

There is a dealer in SW Fl that sells both AB and Highfield and maybe others, I should have bought from him and didn’t, but he will talk to you and I bet tell you exactly what kind of adhesive and what prep work etc is required.

Sorry don’t remember his name, but I believe he’s the only one so it shouldn’t be hard to find.

I’ve heard of people using 5200 to patch dinghies, but I believe there are better products
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, hull