Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2013, 13:34   #61

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: Why do Sailboats have Wire Lifelines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Clothe pegs don't fit the steel tubes....
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 14:26   #62

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

3/8" Sampson double braid all the way around, 2 lines. Cheap, lasts for years, easier to keep clean than 3 strand, very little stretch, easy on the hands, easier to tie to, and in a pinch, I've got a spare sheet or halyard. Looks good on a traditional boat but probably not on a racer.
"Life line" is definitely a misnomer! Net tied to it is good to keep the kids & dogs from going over the side. Also helps keep the jib out of the water but I don't trust any of it to keep me aboard and I don't tie jack lines on the walking deck. I tie them amidships on a short lanyard to my harness. Ain't no way I'm going over the side and get dragged through the water. I use two lanyards on my harness. One is always hooked on to something. In rough conditions,
I rigged up a trip line that I tow when I'm by myself to disengage the pilot so the boat will head up if I go in the drink. That is, if I'm lucky enough to grab the line! Never had to use it yet, KOW.
Watching my boat sail away without me is my worst nightmare!
Go ahead! Call me a chicken! See if I care!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 02:08   #63

here's a one-tonner crossing Atlantic, look at the lifelines...
My Atlantic Crossing - YouTube
stara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 04:44   #64

After having to just replace one side of my stern pulpit, and seeing the cost of stainless steel tubing and related hardware, I am sure that whatever the other reasons, cost would be a primary limiting factor for most people. That, and weight.

That, and we sailors are mostly traditionalists, and that's just not the traditional way of doing things.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 04:50   #65
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
After having to just replace one side of my stern pulpit, and seeing the cost of stainless steel tubing and related hardware, I am sure that whatever the other reasons, cost would be a primary limiting factor for most people. That, and weight.

That, and we sailors are mostly traditionalists, and that's just not the traditional way of doing things.
Traditionalists , carbon fibre PBO , composite this and that , ikea insides , more electronics then a 747 , sure traditionalists.

Dave
Old 22-06-2013, 04:54   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Traditionalists , carbon fibre PBO , composite this and that , ikea insides , more electronics then a 747 , sure traditionalists.

Dave

Except for all that stuff.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 05:22   #67

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

On our boat, we did replace the life lines around the cockpit with hard rails... But the cost having rails installed all around your vessel has got to by 7 to 10 times more than replacing the wire lifelines. So why?

Also as a side note, when we commissioned our boat, I had them use non-coated life lines so I could inspect them.

A number of the boats I was racing on before I left San Francisco were changing over their wire life lines to Samson Amsteel 1/4" lines... Very light, UV resistant, incredibly strong (7,400 lbs breaking strength for 1/4" line) and easy to splice.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 05:27   #68
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i learned to sail on an antique boat without lifelines. i believe the lifelines were a 1960s addition for racing safety.
i was advised when i got my first sloop tha tsolid rails do not flex as the boat will.
i avoided those for long time, now, as i have a boat tht isnt spozed to flex as much i can begin to think about solid rails on my formosa. here inmexico it is less pricey to have this done.

stern rails were made for bbqs..lol...and rail seats on hunters and catalinas and beneteaus and such with rail seats...and fishing pole holders.

life lines do not save lives. never were meant for full weight bearing loads. they are merely a reminder as to where the edge of the boat is.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 05:34   #69
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

Yeah, I think cost (to build) is the real reason why progress has not been driven by the boat builders. Clearly S/s is accepted by every mainstream boat builder as better - the evidence?....they don't build push and pullpits out of wire .....the difference is that they know folks will be using them (and not just as a visual guide), whereas for the side decks they feel comfortable with selling "probably be ok" .

Obviously weight a factor, but no heavier than a liferaft - and a lot more use!

Visually folks get used to anything and it becomes the norm, even if not on own boat.

S/s rails on my wishlist somewhere , I did cast half an eye on making me own - does not seem hard (famous last words!), just the kit involved for a one off use starts to make buying in more competitive.....and a more certain outcome!........copper would be a lot easier!.....maybe filled with epoxy and a length of dowel?......one for later.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 06:24   #70
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's a great question... Ithink it has more to do with aesthetics... maybe windage for racing. There are some people who wont have lifelines at all as it deters from the visual lines of the boat. Some people extend the aft pulpit top rail forward to the dodger... I like this... a good solid hand hold going forward. If you can afford the cost, I wouldnt hesitate to go solid rail all the way forward. I'd much rather grab that rail than a lifeline.

I have holds toward the center of the boat. I don't believe either lifeline or stainless would keep you on board if it was really something you needed to hold on for. Center of gravity is just too high. I use my life lines as "Don't go over the cliff!" warnings.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifelines