Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2022, 12:37   #1

Boat: Bristol 29.9
Whisker pole storage on mast

We cruise full-time on our Bristol 29.9 and we have a Forespar whisker pole that we want to store on the mast vs the stanchions where it currently is. The boat came with a 1” track already installed, but it’s not long enough and we’ll need to add 5 feet.

Looking at the Forespar website, it says never to use a ring car for mast storage because it will eventually break, but the only cars they sell are for 1.25” track and it’s a VERY hefty chunk of metal - like it’s designed for MUCH bigger boats and poles. Schaefer has a ring car designed for sliding up and down.

Are we going to die if we add 5’ to our existing track and go with the Schafer ring car? Or should we replace our existing track with 1.25” and go the Forespar route?
Old 30-04-2022, 13:23   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Whisker pole storage on mast

If you are only using the pole to hold out a genoa, not with a spinnaker, then IMO it is strong enough for use. The big issue is getting the end fitting jammed in the ring when stored and then, with the full length of the pole as a lever, applying a huge torque to the fitting: wham! a broken or bent ring car.

If you can discipline yourself to not do that, I think it will work fine.

It did for me on previous boats.

Jim
Old 30-04-2022, 13:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If you are only using the pole to hold out a genoa, not with a spinnaker, then IMO it is strong enough for use. The big issue is getting the end fitting jammed in the ring when stored and then, with the full length of the pole as a lever, applying a huge torque to the fitting: wham! a broken or bent ring car.

If you can discipline yourself to not do that, I think it will work fine.

It did for me on previous boats.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. This would be strictly used for a genoa.
Old 30-04-2022, 15:27   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

If that’s what it says, then the concern isn’t the sail, it’s the pole slamming down on the car while store with the full weight of the pole directly over the car. Right?
Old 30-04-2022, 16:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
If that’s what it says, then the concern isn’t the sail, it’s the pole slamming down on the car while store with the full weight of the pole directly over the car. Right?
The full weight of the pole won’t be on the car. The car would be at the upper end of the pole and slide down as the pole gets deployed until it’s parallel with the pole.
Old 30-04-2022, 17:06   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Then I’m really confused.

“ never to use a ring car for mast storage because it will eventually break,” applies to storage alongside the mast, not sailing.

So the ring is bearing the downward weight, and the pole bounces on the ring.

How does this matter if the question is storage?

This is important because I was going to do likewise, despite having been told not to.
Old 30-04-2022, 19:42   #7

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

The pole doesn't "bounce" on the ring/car when it stowed because the piston fitting at the lower end of the pole always clamps onto a custom-made ring/mount at the base of the mast. How else would you restrain the pole from swinging around if its only held at the top? If the sliding ring on the mast track is so flimsy that the mere weight of the pole is going to break it, then the fitting is way too light weight for the job.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 21:58   #8
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
We cruise full-time on our Bristol 29.9 and we have a Forespar whisker pole that we want to store on the mast vs the stanchions where it currently is. The boat came with a 1” track already installed, but it’s not long enough and we’ll need to add 5 feet.

Looking at the Forespar website, it says never to use a ring car for mast storage because it will eventually break, but the only cars they sell are for 1.25” track and it’s a VERY hefty chunk of metal - like it’s designed for MUCH bigger boats and poles. Schaefer has a ring car designed for sliding up and down.

Are we going to die if we add 5’ to our existing track and go with the Schafer ring car? Or should we replace our existing track with 1.25” and go the Forespar route?
Follow manufacturer's instructions.

That said when I bought my pole from them the instructions said not to use mast storage if your sailing offshore but to store on deck instead. That's what I did.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 22:40   #9

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I think there is confusion between a whisker pole and a spinnaker pole.

When a spinnaker pole is used the opening of the jaws face upwards, allowing the outboard end to lift. If attached with the jaw opening downwards the end fitting and/or ring can break if the spinnaker lifts the pole. But the jaw opening downwards is necessary for the pole to lie against the mast with the inboard end up, so before stowing up the mast the pole must be rotated, and rotated back for use.

A whisker pole should not have this problem - but check first - because the luff is attached to the stay and so the clew will not be pulled upward by the sail. If there is enough freedom of movement with the jaw opening downwards then it can be left that way. Otherwise it will have to be rotated between stowage and use, as the spinnaker pole.

There is another problem with ring pole cars. If the pole jaw is on one side of the ring but the pole is lifted on the other side as the car slides down it will twist and likely break the ring and/or jaw. In spite of explaining this to a new crew he did it anyway and bent the ring while breaking the jaw. I do not use a ring pole car anymore. The right type to use has a vertical pivot as well as a horizontal bar with side plates for the jaw to attach to, thus preventing any twisting.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 04:48   #10

One of my poles is on a ring car on the mast and I've never had a jam or problem as it is quite a loose fit, so.advise checking to see what the fit might be. I have a 2 part track with no problems there either.
JohnHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 14:20   #11

I added to my track as well. I did file the edges where they meet just a little bit although I doubt that is necessary. Just get them lined up to each other. I drilled and tapped each hole then put in SS flat head machine screws with anti-corrosion goop of one sort or another (Nevr-Seize, Zinc Chromate, TefGel, whatever).

Greg
Old 01-05-2022, 14:33   #12

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I have a basic 1 inch selden car and track on the front of my mast, my pole is attached to the ring with the car at the top. I clip the bottom to a 6mm short length of line that loops around the mast and is captured by the top of the boom, it’s just short enough to keep the pole off the fiberglass deck. The line is static and there are no catch hazards for the Genoa sheets to hook on.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 14:42   #13

I use a Forespar pole chock to hold the lower end of the pole against the mast. It is hard rubber, easy to use (just push in or pull out the pole), and lasts forever. https://www.forespar.com/products/sa...le-chock.shtml

The pole car I use is the Forespar heavy duty FC-125. It prevents the twisting that can break things. https://www.forespar.com/products/sail-mast-car.shtml

Greg

Tags
mast, storage