Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 11:30   #1

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Stuck turnbuckles

Can anyone provide some insight or direct me to an existing thread that might provide pros and cons to applying heat to a turnbuckle to get it to turn?

The turnbuckles in question are 10 mm rigging, and part of the spreader/diamond wire assembly, and are quite likely 19 years old. All other rigging has been replaced regularly, but the manufacturer (Fountaine Pajot) suggests that the diamond wires needn't be replaced until a fault is found (if ever).

I exercise all other turnbuckles regularly, but can only spray these threads with solvent, give them a try, and shrug my shoulders.

So, should I try heat? What might the application of heat do to the strength of the turnbuckle assembly?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:57   #2

Re: Stuck turnbuckles

What kind of turnbuckles are they? Also what type of spray are you using on them? Is there any visible corrosion on the threads or does it just seem stuck for no reason?

I'd use heat but only if other options failed. You can use many things to unstick threads but you want a penetrating solution, not just some WD-40.

Finally, if you're going to replace them, it might not matter either way.
Old 12-05-2015, 14:07   #3

Boat: Santana 22

I have used "Kano AeroKroil" on many rust situations and been happy with the results. It may be what you need.

Kroil Penetrating Oil
SUSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 22:17   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Use a small propane torch, aim at the top or bottom ends, when they are hot, spray some wd40 and try to turn, if not,, heat again with the torch, if the heat fail, sorry my friend the next thing is use the grinder and cut the turnbuckles.....replace it and use lanocote next time in the treads...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 22:49   #5

I don't know if this may help
I am not a metallurgical expert, but worked forging metal for 30 years,one thing I can tell you is that if you heat stainless to a point when it discolours it will be brittle, it's an alloy, so common sense states that dissimilar metals expand differently
So you don't over heat, use some pipe freezer from plumbers merchant ( liquid nitrogen) on the threaded end and light heat on the barrelled middle , if it still won't budge I would replace them as in the larger scheme of things they are not an expensive replacement

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 00:29   #6

PB blaster. Let it sit a day. Add another application then give it a try. It worked on a 1969 boat with bronze fittings that were stuck.

Bugeye Sailor
Annapolis, MD
sgumedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:38   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

They most likely have galled (I'm assuming these are stainless), which essentially welds them together. You may be able to soak them with penetrating oil, use some heat and break the galling enough to get them apart. But why bother? They are shot anyway, so just cut them off and put on new ones.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:15   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

If you want to save them don't use a torch on them unless its just a very moderate heat you want to use to warm them up.
PB Blaster is my favorite penetrating oil. Daily applications until they break free.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:50   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If they are galled, I wouldn't save them regardless of how carefully they were freed.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote