Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2023, 20:42   #61

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Strong enough cordless drill to winch up sails

There are a few (not many) battery fires involving lithium battery packs from major, well-known makers of power tools (e.g. Metabo, Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Bosch, and related brands). I am aware of one on a cruising boat, that was discussed a year or three ago here on CF.

The majority of fires are from poorly made consumer devices, notably hoverboards, e-bikes, and powerpacks for recharging USB devices -- and vaping devices, which often use unprotected cells.

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that corded power tools are safer overall. The main problem is that the cords pose a trip and entanglement hazard. There are secondary problems of electric shock and fire. As with power tool battery fires, these are rare.
Old 15-02-2023, 20:42   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
we recently purchased a milwaukee 28v RAD, and had to hunt for it pretty hard. we weren't interested in the 'super hawg' as this does not seem anywhere near as good performance wise.

cheers,

Did you try them both?

Did you find specifications somewhere that bear that out?
Old 15-02-2023, 21:02   #63

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Did you try them both?

NO

Did you find specifications somewhere that bear that out?
YES

cheers
Old 16-02-2023, 07:51   #64

Interesting.

Specifications for the M28 RAD show a torque of 1081 in lb (see for example https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...1-21/100595747).

Where did you find a torque specification for the Super Hawg? Milwaukee doesn't publish one.
Old 16-02-2023, 10:04   #65

Boat: Fairweather Mariner/Westsail 39

For years now I've been using a right angle drill with a winch bit to assist in raising the main on my Fairweather Mariner 39. Its only needed once the head of the sail goes past the upper spreaders and I can't get it any further by a simple haul and I go to the winch. The halyard winch is a Lewmar ST 40 and I have a strong track to minimize friction but the sail cloth is pretty heavy. Because the halyard is lead back to the cockpit, its also helpful to be able to stand back, pull the trigger and see the main go up with an unobstructed view to make sure nothing fouls. I can't do that while cranking the winch by hand.

In any case I used the Milwaukee 28V Hole Hawg for years and it always worked great. I sold it however and replaced it with the 18V Milwaukee Super Hawg because most of my other cordless tools use the Milwaukee 18 V batteries and I didn't want the complication of multiple batteries and chargers. I can't tell any difference in power between the 28V Hole Hawg and the 18V Super Hawg at all. Both were more than up to the task. Other than an occasional need to drill holes in weird places, I don't use the tool for anything else other than to raise the main. If I need to send someone up the mast with power assist, I use the warping head on the windless. I give both tools five stars, but the Milwaukee 18V system is in production and has a huge number of tools and battery options. The 28V system is being discontinued and the tool selection otherwise is minimal.

Hope this helps.
squarerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 10:13   #66

Boat: Moody 44’ ketch

For the folks worried about twisting arms off ( and apologies if it has been mentioned before) but these drills come with a clutch. Engage it just below broken elbow and it will be fine [emoji846]
Malabarista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 11:44   #67

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabarista View Post
For the folks worried about twisting arms off ( and apologies if it has been mentioned before) but these drills come with a clutch. Engage it just below broken elbow and it will be fine [emoji846]
Our M28 Milwaukee does not have a clutch, but in 8 years of use no broken bones or other injuries from this powerful tool... and we use it for halyards, sheet winches and furling, so lots of use.

Jim
Old 16-02-2023, 11:51   #68

Thank you, @squarerigger. I am deeply committed to the M12/M18 systems at this point and would be reluctant to purchase the older 28v RAD. As an aside, the 28 RAD appears to be the 120v corded tool that has simply been rewound for a lower voltage; I had the 120v corded RAD for plumbing work and sold it a few years ago when I got rid of my other corded tools.

A couple of times I was using it with the 2 5/8" bit to bore joists for drain pipe etc and had the bit bind or catch on a nail driving the D handle and my hand into the subfloor. Blood and splinters. Yes I probably should have been wearing heavy gloves.
Old 22-02-2023, 02:31   #69

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

We are about to get the 18V Milwaukee Super Hawg this week on a trip to the US to use on our manual windlass and winches.
We were going for the 28V system but apparently it's hard to get now and out of production which can cause issues with parts and repairs later down the line.

I was told so far the 18V system is almost as powerful. True?

Question, where do we get the strong winch bit?
This site:
https://mysailingfix.com/2019/01/21/...winch-cranker/
States:
"I’ve had a few readers complain about the lack of responsiveness from the seller of “The Cranker” and “Ultimate Cranker."

True? Good alternative source?
This piece does not look very convincing:
https://www.cmcpro.com/equipment/har...-tool-adapter/

What chuck do we use in the drill?
I assume the classic chuck is better suited than any quick release. We will use it only on the boat.
Old 22-02-2023, 09:02   #70

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
We are about to get the 18V Milwaukee Super Hawg this week on a trip to the US to use on our manual windlass and winches.
We were going for the 28V system but apparently it's hard to get now and out of production which can cause issues with parts and repairs later down the line.

I was told so far the 18V system is almost as powerful. True?

Question, where do we get the strong winch bit?
This site:
https://mysailingfix.com/2019/01/21/...winch-cranker/
States:
"I’ve had a few readers complain about the lack of responsiveness from the seller of “The Cranker” and “Ultimate Cranker."

True? Good alternative source?
This piece does not look very convincing:
https://www.cmcpro.com/equipment/har...-tool-adapter/

What chuck do we use in the drill?
I assume the classic chuck is better suited than any quick release. We will use it only on the boat.
we recently purchased the 28v RAD, which is lighter and more powerful than the 18v superhawg. as you say, hard to get but if you can find one it's worth the effort

as regards winch bit, we got one of these ;

https://www.ebay.de/itm/353981696014

which is just perfect. delivery was quick & easy

cheers,
Old 22-02-2023, 09:48   #71

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

My 12 year old M28 has been retired from boat life, but is still going strong drilling holes in joists. My experience is that the joist work is more likely to break my wrists than than halyards and sheets, and it is because of the sudden increase in torque when the drill seizes.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 11:13   #72

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Re: winch bit, I've been using the Harken bit for about 3 or 4 months (with an M28) and it fits all my Lewmar winches, it turns the winch when I press the trigger. I can't imagine how another one could be "better" - what is the difference?
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 13:19   #73

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Follow-up - I just tried a recently purchased a Mikita XAD03 right angle drill and can confirm it has plenty of torque to pull me up the mast. My wife worked the RAD using the coach top ST dual speed winch with the drill in reverse (so it and the winch are in slow mode).

Note this is the dual 18V battery pack model. If you buy the XAD03PT 'package' it comes with the drill, 2 batteries, charger and storage bag. I couldn't find any torque specs for this tool - but it seems more than adequate.
Jim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 18:03   #74

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
we recently purchased the 28v RAD, which is lighter and more powerful than the 18v superhawg. as you say, hard to get but if you can find one it's worth the effort

as regards winch bit, we got one of these ;

https://www.ebay.de/itm/353981696014

which is just perfect. delivery was quick & easy

cheers,
Thanks. Good to read about the machined bit by HS. We will likely get that one. I'll get pricing for the drill tommorow I hope.
Old 22-02-2023, 18:30   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Think the day I can't haul my mainsail up by hand is the time to sell the boat !

Tags
sail, sails, winch