Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-11-2013, 15:35   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Second Opinion on Running Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Have never had a halyard or sheet fail from age. ....
I had a genoa sheet fail this summer. It had a Kevlar core (bad choise) and was cow-hitched to the clew, which put a wicked flex on it every time the jib flogged, I'm sure. A special case, not related to this post.

But in 30 years that is the only one. Every other line either chafed or got quite scary looking and was replaced.

A side note on riggers. I installed a 1/2" Warspeed sheet to replace it; the line was condemed because of a small cover snag near the end. Free.
a. That portion is tail and will never see load.
b. With Warpspeed at least 85% of the strength is in the core.
The rigger also told me that many of his customers "would rather through away a dirty line than a broken one." I do certain industrial inspections; when you inspect as a trade you are forced to be and expected to be quite conservative. You are inspecting not just for the moment, but generally for a specified period into the future.

The best policy is to inspect frequently, and if you see ANY glimpse of core, replace. Sooner if highly loaded (winched hard). And remember that a retired halyard very likely has a good section long enough to be a back-up sheet.

Tags
rigging