Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2017, 15:27   #16

Boat: Freedom 45
Re: Rigging Knowledge - Where do you get yours?

I own a freedom no rigging
seaman-lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 16:40   #17

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

"Principles of Yacht Design" has a more detailed approach to sizing rigging than other references I've found. Although they do not apply any kind of a factor for type of service as in racing or cruising.

Some basic engineering knowledge in material behavior under stress and fatigue is really valuable. This is a basic that underlies all rigging work. A very good, non-egghead book that addresses metals, stress, fatigue and failure very well, very clearly and very readably is "Engineer to Win" by Smith. He was Chief Engineer for the Ford GT40 project, a very knowledgeable and practical hands on guy. I consider it a classic and recommend it highly.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 17:33   #18

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

When I was young and poor, as opposed to now, old and poor I used to shop used book stores. One of my most valuable finds was a 1942 edition of "MERCHANT MARINE OFFICERS HANDBOOK" by Edward A Turpin and William A MacEwen. Published by Cornell Maritime Press.
It covers many subjects including loading of masts and booms, rigging of tackles, splicing wire, ship handling, piloting, tides and currents, celestial navigation, meteorology, and so much more. All in all 740 pages of information, most of which I'll never absorb, but fantastic reading from a long time ago.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 19:34   #19

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)

Look at every boat's rig is detail, get out for a sail if you can and read just about any book you can get your hands on. I've read most of the ones mentioned so far and would concur. Just read Cruising Rigs and Rigging by Ross Norgrove. From the 80's, and lots of good detailed thoughts in it. I love Eric Hiscock's Cruising Under Sail and Don Street's Ocean Sailing Yacht 1 & 2 as well. Not all rigging is load calculations. For example, I'm amazed at how rarely a cleat is positioned so that a jam free hitch is even possible.
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 20:21   #20

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I have a Selden 12 metre mast, I also have the manufacturers owners manual for my Boat,
It is boat specific, But it does tell me how to stand the mast and the rigging tensions on it, They have made 1200 of them, So I think they might know,
I will find out in the next week or so when I restand my mast,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 21:54   #21

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Hi Uncivilized,

As have you, I learned a lot from reading, doing, and working with various riggers over time.

I can now say I have learned the most in the last 3 years from Brion Toss both in person and from his 'The Complete Riggers Apprentice' book [which I suspect you already have...] among other rigging titles.

I learned a huge amount having Brion survey my present boat's rigging as a separate, pre-purchase project in 2014.

I subsequently asked him to tune the rig and learned even more during that very worthwhile exercise [and his detailed write-up] about a month after purchase. [I had that done just prior to having her measured for new sails...]

What I haven't done yet is attend one of Brion's [annual?] 2+ day hands-on rigging workshops. He limits these classes to 12 individuals, and focuses on each person's individual boat where applicable. [A quick search of his website didn't reveal any scheduled classes for this year, so direct contact may be warranted...]

[As an aside, since Brion's loft is in the same building as Carol Hasse's in Port Townsend, Carol's 2 day hands-on sail repair class is another well worth attending... With any luck they are calendared in succession...]

In case this is useful.

Cheers! Bill
Unfortunately for us the classes / workshops were on the same weekend. We took Carol's class - and a friend took Brion's. Both well worth it.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 22:10   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Lucky for me I have good old friends who have many years sailing and working on boats. One has been a rigger for 40 years. If I know anything it is thanks to them, a few books, but mostly all the dumb mistakes I made and survived thanks to divine intervention.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 13:47   #23

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

I concur about books by Brion Toss and Pierre Gutelle. I found some interesting but dated information in old seamanship manuals and in Bernard Moitessier's "The Long Way". And a degree in marine engineering helps, too.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 18:41   #24

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Offcenter harbor.com is a good site for splicing videos for rigging. Even wire to line splicing still demonstrated.
Didn't realize that Toss did classes..will definitely look into.
thnks
dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 19:06   #25
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
One good source I use is Ivar Dedekam's illustrated sail and rig tuning. Also available as an ebook. I have no association with him, just like his book.
I second Dedekam's. Our rig is tuned based on this guide, which is one of the few that has modern rigging configurations. In our case, our capshrouds are also our backstays (because we have no backstays) and I haven't found that in Brion Toss's apprentice yet...
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:51   #26

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Hey Uncivilized,

Find a copy of Richard Henderson's "Understanding Rigs and Rigging". It has a lot of good detail info in it.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 01:15   #27

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

I will be hunting a few texts down, and this thread is EXCELLENT as a source for them (thanks Uncivilized for both the origination AND the recent offer/motivation to reactivate it).

As far as books on sailing, I only have one, and it is more about dingy sailing and racing than rigging, but is entitled "The Complete Sailing Manual" by Steve Sleight (ISBN 978-0-7566-8969-8), and it is a revised edition hardback with a focus on more modern vessels than I have. It has more about other issues than rigging particulars especially, and is aimed at making you more aware of the basics of operational tasks such as docking, maneuvering in currents, navigational issues and reading charts and weather products while using more modern and posh vessels than my lowly Hunter 27. I like the text for what it is, but it is sorely lacking in assisting me with setting my rigging up in my currently vacant mast and boom sheaves.

I have a Bluejacket's Manual someplace here for knots, and some seamanship related issues, but I am currently looking around for a used Chapman's book, and found one at one of the sites listed in this thread (multiple copies, actually, and they are danged inexpensive to boot). I think I am going to purchase it tonight, in fact.

I also am going to be hunting a few other things, like marlinspike seamanship texts that show knot work and decorative things, and I will be hunting a few other texts as I keep learning more. I think part of the issue is that so many forms of rigging exist currently, and boats are lasting so long that you could have any sort of rigging on board.

For instance, Dyneema forestays (and assumedly other stays?) were not considered apparently in my Hunter's prime because it had not been invented back then, if I understand correctly. If I do in fact replace my standing rigging at some point, I like the idea of steel wire, but I am wondering about the lifelines, which are currently white vinyl over apparently the same wire that makes up my current running rigging. I have heard that this should be replaced because it is impossible to check for corrosion in that coating. So should I put Dyneema in there? Who knows? I don't have a text about that, and I have not heard any commentary on it either.

If anyone knows of a book that will give me some info on hand tying the netting I see on so many cruising boats and offer some plus versus negative issues on doing that with one material over another, I would love to know about it too!

Thanks again, Uncivilized, this thread needs to be a sticky, in my humble opinion!
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 01:24   #28

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Miller View Post
Here is the link to the Sheehan book:

https://www.alibris.com/Sailing-Rigs.../book/29627967
Herb, this is a PURE GOLD resource site!! THANK YOU!!!
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 02:04   #29
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
If I do in fact replace my standing rigging at some point, I like the idea of steel wire, but I am wondering about the lifelines, which are currently white vinyl over apparently the same wire that makes up my current running rigging. I have heard that this should be replaced because it is impossible to check for corrosion in that coating. So should I put Dyneema in there? Who knows? I don't have a text about that, and I have not heard any commentary on it either.
One thing to remember is there re lots of different flavours of dyneema out there.

I replaced all my lifelines with Marlow D12 max 5mm. I made up some short strops which were incorporated into the mooring lines though fairleads, after many months of nasty SW UK weather they held up exceptionally well against chafe. Not cheap though. But much nicer to the touch than steel wire rope. Easily spliced.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 02:08   #30

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

SailingFan, it's been mentioned already, which is why I never felt the need to name it yet again. But pick up Ivar Dedekam's book. It's excellent, & will also assist you in setting up/tuning your rig, plus 101 other things. I recommend it to anyone who's interested in their rigs, or sail trim. AKA those bits which make a sailboat sail.
https://www.amazon.com/Sail-Rig-Tuni...g+tuning+guide

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging