Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2021, 06:36   #1

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Rigging a Drifter over a roller furling jib

i am looking at a Marples CC40 rigged originally as a cutter, with staysail and yankee. Later she was sailed as a sloop with a Genoa on the forestay. i am thinking of going back to the cutter rig with the yankee on a roller furler and the staysail hanked on.

i have toyed with the idea of using a drifter on the forestay using soft shackles and parrell balls (similar to this asymmetric on this roller furling forestay).

(Thanks Markhunter 1097)

Going upwind in lite air, the drifter could be used with or without the staysail, and downwind the drifter could be used on the forestay with a small asymmetric on the staysail halyard, main doused.

Does anybody with more experience have any thots on how this would work? Would there be too much friction even with the parrell balls?

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 14:52   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Rigging a Drifter over a roller furling jib

I'd be concerned about the friction from the beads chewing up Sunbrella, if that's what you're using for UV protection on the furler. Sunbrella is woven from short threads, and that is what makes it so chafe-prone.

What I'd suggest is a dyneema luff, and to set the drifter flying. You will only be using it in light airs, and you will be able to heave to to drop the sail. Use light line for the sheets, too.

Ann
Old 08-05-2021, 17:50   #3

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II
Re: Rigging a Drifter over a roller furling jib

I set my drifter flying with a dyneema luff line ahead of my roller furled genoa (like Ann suggests) and it works fine. I do have a length of bowsprit ahead of tge forestay, so I have a bit of space between the drifter and furled genny, but my pulpit complicates things.
Tacking is interesting.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, jib, rigging, roller furling