Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2020, 07:48   #1

Boat: Alberg 30
Question Jury rigging a hank-on over a broken roller furled jib

I have an old hank-on storm jib and working jib with snap shackles. An old Boy Scout, "Be Prepared" still my motto. If the roller gennie is kaput, shredded, or jammed, and rolled on the forestay, what is the best method to run up a traditional jib? Perhaps loops of light line with parrel beads run around the furled gennie and clipped into each snap shackle, hoisted aloft with the spinnaker halyard? Very interested to know best practical solution. What has worked for you? What hasn't worked for you?

Also, in a bad blow, even if gennie is ok, the cloth is not as heavy as my storm jib, and partially furled would not be as flat. So this seems important in the situation too.

Comments, reports of personal experience, guidance, would be greatly appreciated. I have an Alberg 30 (1970) and am refitting for coastal and maybe blue water cruising and passages. Thanks in advance!!
RichardPresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 23:11   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Jury rigging a hank-on over a broken roller furled jib

Put a wire in the luff and din't bother with the loops.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, rigging