Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2016, 15:22   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Replacing Standing Rigging - Going From Swagged To Swag-less Fittings

My standing rigging is 7/32 wire size. I'm going to be replacing the standing rigging over the course of the next few months, however, I'm planning to use swag-less fittings due to convenience.

Since I'm going from swagged to swag-less, I assume I can reuse the turnbuckles and the lower threaded stud?

Also, how do you determine which way the threading should be(left or right)? I see defender has a sale going on for the boat show">Miami boat show, so this might be the time to buy the 8 swag-less studs

Thanks!
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 18:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: replacing standing rigging - going from swagged to swag-less fittings

Stud fittings are threaded for what is necessary for the threads on a turnbuckle. There must be a convention that the manufacturers adhere to. Would have to go down to the boat to verify whether it's left or right hand thread. When I redid the rigging just bought Norsemen stud terminals on line without a problem. Mechanical terminals like Norseman, StaLok, and Hayn all work. Good idea getting rid of the swaged fittings, never have trusted them.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 18:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

If you are going to the work and the expense of replacing rigging DO IT ALL with the possible exception of chainplates which have been exposed to oxygen and have been polished and are in good shape after being inspected. As for turnbuckles--are you being penny wise and pound foolish? Check everything and replace it all if there is any question.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 19:52   #4

Boat: S & S 43'

All swageless studs I have seen are right-hand thread. The 'norm' on turnbuckles is RH thread for the wire and LH for the toggle, using UNF threads. There are few exceptions (some French are LH for the wire and RH for Toggle with metric thread).
david samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by david samuelson View Post
All swageless studs I have seen are right-hand thread. The 'norm' on turnbuckles is RH thread for the wire and LH for the toggle, using UNF threads. There are few exceptions (some French are LH for the wire and RH for Toggle with metric thread).
Thanks for that!

How do you determine that its a RH thread? I can't find any resource regarding it.

Is it the way the buckle turns? Do you look at the thread itself on the stud?

I know this is a completely idiot thread, I've always thought of it as "righty tighty" = right hand thread. But the main reason for me asking is because Ill be throwing down close to $700 or more on replacing fittings and I dont want to have a "oopsy" mistake.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
If you are going to the work and the expense of replacing rigging DO IT ALL with the possible exception of chainplates which have been exposed to oxygen and have been polished and are in good shape after being inspected. As for turnbuckles--are you being penny wise and pound foolish? Check everything and replace it all if there is any question.
I've already replaced the chainplates. They were the first to go. Replacing the fittings to swagless ones will cost me atleast 700 alone in just fittings(including the buckles and such).

On top of that $700, ill be spending around $500 on wiring, which means this is going to be a SLOW process for me considering I dont have $1200 just laying around.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:36   #7

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Thanks for that!

How do you determine that its a RH thread? I can't find any resource regarding it.

Is it the way the buckle turns? Do you look at the thread itself on the stud?

I know this is a completely idiot thread, I've always thought of it as "righty tighty" = right hand thread. But the main reason for me asking is because Ill be throwing down close to $700 or more on replacing fittings and I dont want to have a "oopsy" mistake.
Looking along the axis of the (bolt/stud/whatever), if you turn the (nut/turnbuckle/whatever) clockwise and it moves away from you, its RH.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging