Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2021, 17:24   #16

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Re: Reefing "systems" for hank on jibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes... I understand that. Doesn't change anything.
Isn't this why they make storm jibs?
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 18:37   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephcrawl View Post
Well there's no boom to mount blocks onto so that was confusing to me.
Sorry, I was thinking staysail. No, no boom on your foresail. Makes the scheme even harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post

Yes, I think this is the better solution in this case.
Old 16-01-2021, 20:49   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
If the working jib is beefy enough to reef, it is easier to reef than put away one wet sail and pull out a new one to hank on. I figure it's good for another 5 to maybe 10 knots of wind. The shape is better than a furled headsail I think. The storm jib can always come out when the wind really pipes up. By that time I'll be in the bar talking about how I would really LOVE to be out there in that stuff.

I went through and found these old photos from when I was setting up the reef kit. Try to ignore the ugly blue tarp and paint job!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reefed1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	230521   Click image for larger version

Name:	reefed 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	230522  

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 03:36   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I have a reef in my staysail and I've used it several times. It's a matter of putting a short piece of line (sail tie, even), between the tack and the reef cringle in the luff and pulling them together, then doing the same with the clew. If your line is strong enough, you don't need to transfer the sheets--it'll carry the load between cringles.
It helps that I hoist my staysail from the foredeck, so I have the halyard right there.
I only use this in conjunction with my storm try'sl, which I've only had to use three or four times, but was exceedingly glad to have it when I did.
Old 17-01-2021, 07:53   #20

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Here's a very crude diagram of the general idea. Of course the reefing line would be pulling the sail forward but hopefully the sheet tension would keep it flat as long as the reef line wasn't over tightened. Leather chafe protection would have to be added on the foot where the lines runs under.
Contrary to the nay sayers, the simple modification of a stopper knot between the tack and the first neetle eye would prevent over tension on the small eyes. Also could allow for a smaller diameter line to be tied to the tack-reef line. this setup would limit the distance the 'gathering' line could travel, but probably not so limited that the sail would fall into the sea. For further gathering, the same method could be employed on a pre-run reefing sheet. Definitely, a possible solution.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 08:20   #21

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjo View Post
I wonder why you would even consider it for normal sailing?
Good roller reefing is so reliable and effective for most conditions.

A heavy weather jib hoisted on a removable Dyneema inner forestay is an excellent option for close-hauled sailing in strong winds when a deeply furled Genoa (or Yankee) becomes inefficient.

My detachable inner forestay goes to the masthead so no need for runners etc. When offshore and not tacking continually I set it up with the sail ready to go, flaked in a bag that is secured on the foredeck. Theoretically it could have the sheets pre-set through dedicated sheeting blocks.

Here's a few reasons:

1) The boat already has a Hank on jib and the owner doesn't want to buy a roller reefing system and new or mod'd sail which in all would cost many thousands of dollars.
2) Roller reefing effectively prevents you from being able to drop the sail single handed if you cannot roll it in for some reason. This is because the luff is completely free when dropped and the sail can easily go overboard and catch water, unlike a hanked-on jib which is much safer to drop. (see pic of full crewed boat unable to drop roller reefed sail)
3) Roller reefing systems destroy the shape of the sail when reefed compared to a slab reefed jib.
4) Roller furling systems are more complex and more likely to fail. We have had our furling line break at 2am in 30knts and went from a double reef to full 130% genny with a bang! That was a wet, dangerous trip to the bow to figure out and implement a solution to furl the sail back in. If it were hanked on, we could have just released the halyard and it would have come down safely. That's not possible with a roller furling.

An inner stay is a whole new sail, stay, hard mount on deck, mast modification. That's not the point of the OP's question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Furling fail - Alden 44 Ariel.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	230538  
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 08:47   #22

Boat: Southern cross 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Contrary to the nay sayers, the simple modification of a stopper knot between the tack and the first neetle eye would prevent over tension on the small eyes. Also could allow for a smaller diameter line to be tied to the tack-reef line. this setup would limit the distance the 'gathering' line could travel, but probably not so limited that the sail would fall into the sea. For further gathering, the same method could be employed on a pre-run reefing sheet. Definitely, a possible solution.
Now we are getting somewhere. This is an excellent idea. To pull the reef at the clew how about a second bow lead line that is a closed loop through the clews with a friction hitch like a prussik or a blake's. You would pull it tight closing the loop then the friction hitch would hold it together. Then the line could lay slack. To shake out the feed you would have to go forward to release it but that would be in fair conditions. It would also be nice to have and overall downhaul if the sail needs to be dropped completely.
Josephcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 09:14   #23

Boat: EDELCAT33
Reefing "systems" for hank on jibs

Quote:
Now we are getting somewhere. This is an excellent idea. To pull the reef at the clew how about a second bow lead line that is a closed loop through the clews with a friction hitch like a prussik or a blake's. You would pull it tight closing the loop then the friction hitch would hold it together. Then the line could lay slack. To shake out the feed you would have to go forward to release it but that would be in fair conditions. It would also be nice to have and overall downhaul if the sail needs to be dropped completely.

Go to YouTube and find Waverover videos, this Canadian guy sailed around the Atlantic and regularly Reef his hanks on jib.

https://youtu.be/nboM_C8af48

You can probably text him as he seem approachable
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 13:39   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One can always heave to to do the work, which makes the job go faster. We had a reefing headsail on the Yankee 30 that Jim used to own. What we found was that it invariably was unhappy being reefed, and would shake out the nettles. The foot of the sail never stayed tied in. And then the sail was replaced, so that we never figured out a method such as Don CL's.
Old 17-01-2021, 14:42   #25

Boat: Southern cross 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
Go to YouTube and find Waverover videos, this Canadian guy sailed around the Atlantic and regularly Reef his hanks on jib.

https://youtu.be/nboM_C8af48

You can probably text him as he seem approachable
I watched the video which was very good! I did not notice anything special about his jib reefing just seemed like the standard way. Maybe I missed something....
Josephcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib