Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2021, 17:20   #1

Boat: Southern cross 35
Reefing "systems" for hank on jibs

Are there any clever reefing concepts for hank on jibs? Something to minimize for deck time. Something like a downhaul to bring the reef tack down to the deck and a second line that loops through the reef nettle eyelets and the tack and reef tack to concertina the sail up perhaps with a friction knot?

Thanks
Josephcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 19:12   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Reefing "systems" for hank on jibs

Well, can't say I am an expert on it, only had to do it once, but I have a reef-able jib. I don't have a line to bring the sail down, pulling it down is not really the problem for me anyway. Just hanging on the foredeck and taking care of things is the thing. So I clip to a line on the new tack. The length of that line is set to ensure that the jib sheet lead is the same so I don't have to move the sheet fairlead block. I then have a dedicated line for drawing the lower tack and the lower clew together. It has to be the right length, you don't want to draw them too close. Then you can roll up the lower part up and tie off the reef at the cringles. I also keep the sheets connected, I just draw them up to the higher clew and tie them through with a figure eight (They are long enough for that.) Once that is taken care of I can go back and hoist the jib from the cockpit. It's a hassle, but nice to have the option.
on edit: the thing is I found it was necessary to bring the lower tack and clew in, and held together, at a set distance, before rolling up the reef. I can't imagine the idea you had there.
I have the pennant, reef lines (nettles,) and a line to draw the lower tack and clew together ready to go in a kit.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 19:21   #3

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Do a search on jib downhaul. There are some good examples such as this one on Far Reach Voyages. There are also some discussions about jib downhauls on this forum.

You wouldn't need a second line. Use your jib downhaul to lash the jib once it's down. You'll have plenty of line from the jib downhaul for that task.

Can't say that I've ever seen reef nettles on a headsail before...but, I haven't seen everything.
Old 15-01-2021, 20:59   #4

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

I’ve seen reef “nettles” (eyelets with reefing ties) on reefable jibs. You have to have something to tie up the loose portion of the sail below the new clew and tack or it flogs itself to death.
Your idea sounds clever, in essence a single line that would go through each of the eyelets and around the foot of the sail. It would have to be there all the time and would look strange, also all those lines looping around the foot of the sail are just waiting to snag on something when you tack.
I suggest you make a mockup out of old sheets and see how it works.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 07:07   #5

My old boat had a genoa with a reef. We would move the pendant up then move the sheets then roll the foot foot and tuck in the clew tie up the loose ends with the nettles.

Our new boat has a profurl roller reefer. The boat needs a new jib and if I gotta make a new one I would like to get rid of the furler but it sure is nice having all that stuff led back to the cockpit. So that's were I'm coming from. I'm aware of the downhaul for jibs/genoas but it seems a little pointless to lead that part of reefing aft if you can't do the rest. I guess another big worry with my idea is chaff. Could a downhaul line do the whole reef? In a fore to aft spiralled loop. That would have a lot of friction on it and yeah it would be draping down wanting to hook on anything and everything. Maybe with a little shock cord to keep it tightened up.
Old 16-01-2021, 07:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Reefing "systems" for hank on jibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well, can't say I am an expert on it, only had to do it once, but I have a reef-able jib. I don't have a line to bring the sail down, pulling it down is not really the problem for me anyway. Just hanging on the foredeck and taking care of things is the thing. So I clip to a line on the new tack. The length of that line is set to ensure that the jib sheet lead is the same so I don't have to move the sheet fairlead block. I then have a dedicated line for drawing the lower tack and the lower clew together. It has to be the right length, you don't want to draw them too close. Then you can roll up the lower part up and tie off the reef at the cringles. I also keep the sheets connected, I just draw them up to the higher clew and tie them through with a figure eight (They are long enough for that.) Once that is taken care of I can go back and hoist the jib from the cockpit. It's a hassle, but nice to have the option.
on edit: the thing is I found it was necessary to bring the lower tack and clew in, and held together, at a set distance, before rolling up the reef. I can't imagine the idea you had there.
I have the pennant, reef lines (nettles,) and a line to draw the lower tack and clew together ready to go in a kit.
Had a similar set up on my Tiki 21, my Tiki 26 had a furler.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 08:45   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephcrawl View Post
My old boat had a genoa with a reef. We would move the pendant up then move the sheets then roll the foot foot and tuck in the clew tie up the loose ends with the nettles.

Our new boat has a profurl roller reefer. The boat needs a new jib and if I gotta make a new one I would like to get rid of the furler but it sure is nice having all that stuff led back to the cockpit. So that's were I'm coming from. I'm aware of the downhaul for jibs/genoas but it seems a little pointless to lead that part of reefing aft if you can't do the rest. I guess another big worry with my idea is chaff. Could a downhaul line do the whole reef? In a fore to aft spiralled loop. That would have a lot of friction on it and yeah it would be draping down wanting to hook on anything and everything. Maybe with a little shock cord to keep it tightened up.
I'm open to the idea, certainly. I am just trying to imagine a sure-fire way for one line, or two, to pull the tack and clew in, together, and then roll up the sail with nothing hanging out to flog. By the time I need to reef the jib, it's blowing pretty good, as I am sure you know, so things will flog if given half a chance.
And I detest flogging. Now if you wanted to add a jib boom... but that's a whole different debate!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 10:18   #8

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I have 1 experience reefing a hanked on jib and we did not have to leave the cockpit. Similar to a slab reef main, there was an eye in the jib's luff ~4ft off the deck with a short piece of webbing with a ring through the eye. A reefing tack line was tied to the ring, down to a block on the bow and run back to the cockpit. We were reaching off in nearly 30knt and our route had us rounding up into a beat after clearing an island. We anticipated needing to reef and ran a sheet to the reef-clew before we left. So reefing simply involved pulling down the reef-tack line as the halyard was eased and the reef-sheet in. We didn't bother with rolling the loose foot as we were going upwind, so the sail was inside the life lines, and we pulled the old lazy clew/sheets to the center-line so the sail couldn't go over the side.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 13:28   #9

Boat: 12m aluminium centreboarder

I wonder why you would even consider it for normal sailing?
Good roller reefing is so reliable and effective for most conditions.

A heavy weather jib hoisted on a removable Dyneema inner forestay is an excellent option for close-hauled sailing in strong winds when a deeply furled Genoa (or Yankee) becomes inefficient.

My detachable inner forestay goes to the masthead so no need for runners etc. When offshore and not tacking continually I set it up with the sail ready to go, flaked in a bag that is secured on the foredeck. Theoretically it could have the sheets pre-set through dedicated sheeting blocks.
adjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 13:38   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

My heavy staysail has one reef point in it. I've never found the need to do this yet since it's already fairly small. But I've thought through the process. Seems fairly straightforward: Tie the tack down at the boom. For the clew I'd put a wrap through the cringle, around the boom, then loop a line through again and take it to the outhaul at the end of the boom.
Old 16-01-2021, 14:54   #11

Here's a very crude diagram of the general idea. Of course the reefing line would be pulling the sail forward but hopefully the sheet tension would keep it flat as long as the reef line wasn't over tightened. Leather chafe protection would have to be added on the foot where the lines runs under.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210116_224912462.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	230514  
Old 16-01-2021, 15:57   #12

Quote:
Here's a very crude diagram of the general idea. Of course the reefing line would be pulling the sail forward but hopefully the sheet tension would keep it flat as long as the reef line wasn't over tightened. Leather chafe protection would have to be added on the foot where the lines runs under.
Those eyelets are not designed to take any force. They're not really part of the reef system. They're just there to contain the excess sail with sail ties. I would definitely not do as I understand your diagram suggests. You'll tear your sail apart.

You can rig a single-line reefing system. I've done in on small mains. You'll need four turning blocks on the boom, and a long enough line. This produces a lot more friction than two separate lines, but it can be done.

Personally, I like the direct method. But it does mean going out on the foredeck (which I prefer to do anyway).
Old 16-01-2021, 16:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Those eyelets are not designed to take any force. They're not really part of the reef system. They're just there to contain the excess sail with sail ties. I would definitely not do as I understand your diagram suggests. You'll tear your sail apart.
Good advice on the neetle eyelets being too weak. The reefing discussion is about a jib not a main.

The reef line could skip the neetles all together and go from the tack to the clew. The excess cloth could be tied separately very much like single line reefing on a main.
Thanks
Old 16-01-2021, 16:05   #14

Quote:
Good advice on the neetle eyelets being too weak. The reefing discussion is about a jib not a main.

Thanks

Yes... I understand that. Doesn't change anything.
Old 16-01-2021, 16:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes... I understand that. Doesn't change anything.
Well there's no boom to mount blocks onto so that was confusing to me.

Tags
jib