Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2020, 18:00   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Mast corrosion and bolted tang

My rigger who has been doing this for 40 years recommended a nickel based anti-sieze goop when I replaced fittings on the mast. Definitely less expensive than the tefgel.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
My rigger who has been doing this for 40 years recommended a nickel based anti-sieze goop when I replaced fittings on the mast. Definitely less expensive than the tefgel.
Tefgel works best

Don’t play games with nickel or any gimmicks

Every pro rigger I know uses tefgel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64CFCF67-52C4-481A-8D0B-8588B68513F3.gif
Views:	40
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	212431  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:51   #18

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Don

I have used Nickel base anti-sieze for years and I agree it works just fine. I still use it for all my stainless on stainless threads. Tefgel is just better for stainless on aluminum in my experience.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-04-2020, 06:02   #19

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

[QUOTE=groundtackle;3113039]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhulmer View Post
The problem with this is how to make the hole bigger. I can’t remove the bolts, they’ll fall inside the mast then I can’t put in replacements unless I remove the spreaders which is of course a much bigger job. It would be doable without removing the mast but it’s a lot of work I’m trying to avoid. So far I’ve jiggled some sicaflex inside and hope to have enough under the bold head but can’t really say. I’m waiting for the interprotect to cure. Is tefgel really a lot better than coating with sica? Up here tefgel is $40 for a 10ml tube. I’ve got good plastic to insulate the tang so I’m down to just worrying about the bolt itself now. I could drill another hole above these two 3/8 holes to get more of what ever in there or I could put a hole on the side of the mast to access the bolt heads but I don’t know if that would weaken it too much with two holes on the front and one on the side at the same level. The side hole would probably have to be a good 1” to allow me to get a finger in there to do a great job insulating the bolt heads.
Personally, I wouldn't put additional holes in the mast. It will weaken it slightly. I believe what you are doing is the best compromise for now. If/when you take down the mast again you can consider a change for that connection. I still believe you should use the Tefgel but the sika will work also but not as long in my opinion. You can purchase a small container of Tefgel it will last a long time and you will use it on many other connections.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-04-2020, 10:57   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhulmer View Post
Don

I have used Nickel base anti-sieze for years and I agree it works just fine. I still use it for all my stainless on stainless threads. Tefgel is just better for stainless on aluminum in my experience.

Cheers,

Jim
of course, I was just responding to the OP's desire for a less expensive option.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion, mast