Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2024, 14:22   #1

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Loading and unloading batten cars from a mast rail

Searches found nothing:

Cat Tales, a 35 foot FP Tobago, has a full battened main with the cars having the ball bearings sliding up a track on a ZSpar mast. There is a short piece of track at the bottom that is obviously for loading and unloading the cars. The bolt that holds the track has worn loose, and I’ve lost most of the balls for the lower car. As well, the 3rd from the top is sticking and likely needs new balls.

What is the workman’s trick for loading and unloading 6 cars on a vertical rail?

Any suggestions on how to fix the loose/worn bolt?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 17:05   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Loading and unloading batten cars from a mast rail

You should have short plastic sections of filler track onto which you load the batten (and intermediates too if you have them) cars. If not, you can reuse the short piece of track as long as you don’t mind reloading each car with ball bearings just before you reload it.

Move and hold the batten cars so that they’re all above the short piece of track (a loop of line attached to your halyard works, or just hold by hand if not too heavy). Then remove that piece of track. Position a filler track in line with the mast track, then lower the first car onto the filler. Hold the rest of the cars up, then remove the filler track with the car. Repeat with the rest of the cars.

You should be able to buy ball bearings for your model of car. And of course replace the missing bolt! There should also be a rubber or nylon stopper that keeps the cars from coming off the bottom of the track.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 18:07   #3

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

My Harken cars use Torlon ball bearings; not sure if that is typical.

Yes, you can buy them from the manufacturer, but considering how many you may have, it can be quite expensive.

I found Torlon bb at McMaster Carr for a decent price savings over the Harken price at that time. They are green as opposed to the brown Harken bb, FWIW. I had already purchased 2/3 the number of bb I needed at a clearance price somewhere, so never bought any from McMaster. But I wonder if anyone has given them a try, and how well they worked.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 18:31   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Re the bolt, Loctite medium may hold it. If not then may need to re-tap the hole and insert next thread size up bolt. If new hole then use Tefgel on the new bolt. A stainless helicoil insert may work as well + tefgel.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 18:31   #5

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

Yup, Torlon ball bearings from McMaster are fine.

Use a micrometer on your existing to get the right size. Count how many you need carefully!

Yes, use the existing track piece as a holder to hold all the BB's in each car as you insert them on each side one at a time. Then hold the car on the track and put the track back into position and roll the car down onto the main track.

I'd suggest wiping down the entire mast track first to make sure it's all clean. After the cars are loaded and put back on, use One Drop lubricant on the track and work it into the car bearings.

I think you will be amazed at how easy it is to raise your main and put in/take out a reef afterwards.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 06:49   #6

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.

If I have done this correctly, there is a pic here of a car and launching rail.
Now, how many balls per car? I loaded one side of a car, and know it is 20 or more per side. Is there a site with some authority on this?

As for the bolt, I will ask both the local rigger and the boatyard welder, and then choose one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3493.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	288541  
Old 11-04-2024, 03:08   #7

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
Now, how many balls per car? I loaded one side of a car, and know it is 20 or more per side. Is there a site with some authority on this?

As for the bolt, I will ask both the local rigger and the boatyard welder, and then choose one.
On number of balls per car, every manufacturer makes them differently (of course), both in size of balls and number. Load them so they are just a little loose so they both rotate in the car, and also move around the race in the car. Harken has a warning not to overload. Both sides should have the same number. Go slow, put one at a time in.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2024, 12:12   #8

Thanks for the comments and encouragement.

Here is how the issue was resolved. I discussed the problem with Richard at the Grenada office of Turbulence. He advised that the bolt hole for the loading strip be fixed using a helicoil and a new bolt, but also suggested that the complete track was poorly fastened, and likely put a vibrating load on the loading strip. His workman installed the helicoil and also put in 4 new allen-key bolts at intervals of the main track. This should be the end of the story. Thanks again.

Now, where might the easiest place be to pick up 30 or so 6mm torlon balls?
Old 23-04-2024, 18:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
My Harken cars use Torlon ball bearings; not sure if that is typical.

Yes, you can buy them from the manufacturer, but considering how many you may have, it can be quite expensive.

I found Torlon bb at McMaster Carr for a decent price savings over the Harken price at that time. They are green as opposed to the brown Harken bb, FWIW. I had already purchased 2/3 the number of bb I needed at a clearance price somewhere, so never bought any from McMaster. But I wonder if anyone has given them a try, and how well they worked.
Harken high load cars use TORLON bearings and regular cars use DELRIN bearings. The material does matter, colour doesn’t if you can find an alternative supplier.

For the OP, go online and find the spec sheet for your cars. It will say how many and what type of bearings each car should have. If just winging it, put it two less bearings than can physically fit.

Filling the bearing race with shaving foam keeps them from rolling out while you’re filling the car and before you remount it on the little piece of track.
Old 23-04-2024, 18:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
Thanks for the comments and encouragement.

Here is how the issue was resolved. I discussed the problem with Richard at the Grenada office of Turbulence. He advised that the bolt hole for the loading strip be fixed using a helicoil and a new bolt, but also suggested that the complete track was poorly fastened, and likely put a vibrating load on the loading strip. His workman installed the helicoil and also put in 4 new allen-key bolts at intervals of the main track. This should be the end of the story. Thanks again.

Now, where might the easiest place be to pick up 30 or so 6mm torlon balls?
https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/category/1-Harken-Replacement-Ball-Bearings.html

Tags
loa, mast