Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2011, 07:27   #46
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hoisting Flags

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Aha, so if I start calling our Kuwait flag an ensign, I instantly graduate to the seasoned sailor club? Yippee!!

Don't make me search, post a picture of a red duster!

And MarkJ, thanks

Red duster

Union Jack.....
MarkJ... how come none of you guys fly your ensign... its always the Southern Cross on blue field....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 07:30   #47
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Hoisting Flags

The US Yacht Ensign
Attached Images

Old 19-05-2011, 07:38   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The US Yacht Ensign
Notice only 13 stars.... does that mean anything West of Virginia is not yet officially recognised.....

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-05-2011, 07:47   #49
Armchair Bucketeer

Flags mean stuff - even if often they simply be decoration. They mainly say: "this is me. and us - WTF are you going to do about it? "....especially when planted in someone else's backyard.

Below is the new (2011) Jersey Red Ensign. The version without the 3 Leopards is still an option (which BTW when flown on a Jersey Registered Vessel is not the English Red Ensign - just hard to tell apart ).

I won't bore folks with the politics of the above but new flag is part of a seperatist movement (funnily enough they are "the great and the good" - not the usual plebs ranting on street corners - so they get to tinker with stuff like flags).......the eventual aim is for Jersey to become a Paedo freindly fiefdom run by UKIP (little Englander) rejects Come the day of that Palace Coup these flags will have holes cut in 'em - as may those who fly them............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 07:51   #50
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Notice only 13 stars.... does that mean anything West of Virginia is not yet officially recognised.....
I can't divulge state secrets, but as long as the number of stars matches the number of stripes, it's cool.
Old 19-05-2011, 07:52   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I want one.....

Old 19-05-2011, 08:09   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I can't divulge state secrets, but as long as the number of stars matches the number of stripes, it's cool.
ROFL.... considering 13 is regarded by many as an unlucky number I wonder if it is/was an ironic 'Finger' to 'George' and the 'Old Country'....
Tough $hit Guys... we're outa here.......

Old 19-05-2011, 08:55   #53

Boat: Unknown MFV 60ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Ummm something went a bit odd here... If you have a courtesy flag you should fly it above your Q flag on entering the new country.

The courtesy flag should not be the ensign of that country but their standard flag. Ensigns are for registered vessels of that country.
Clearly right on the first part but, sorry to be the flag again, partially wrong on the second bit. There are a handful of countries where it is correct to fly the national flag as the courtesy flag and not the maritime flag (e,g, Spain, Malta), but the correct courtesy flag for nearly all other countries is their National Maritime Flag (which may or may not be the same as their national flag).

Nice and straight forward isn't it

There are whole sections dedicated to international code, signals & flag etiquette within all internationally recognised Deck Officer training programs. If you search the IMO conventions or consult a professional vexillologist (if you can find one!) you will see how deep the rabbit hole goes

cheers,
The Flag Police

PS the correct courtesy flag for the UK is the red ensign and not the union flag. When you think about this, it makes sense; the primary rule for courtesy flags is not to cause offense and to pay tribute to the hosts. Therefore flying as your courtesy flag the flag worn by local boats can hardly ever be considered offensive.
Old 19-05-2011, 11:50   #54
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
MarkJ... how come none of you guys fly your ensign... its always the Southern Cross on blue field....
Quote:

Because no one reconized it. Aussies want to fly the 'real' one with the blue background. So a few years ago the government caved in and said we could fly the national flag.

I have ever only seen one Aussie boat internationally with the red ensign on it. and that was about 20 years ago!

some will fly the red in home waters.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 12:07   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfaroo View Post
Clearly right on the first part but, sorry to be the flag again, partially wrong on the second bit. There are a handful of countries where it is correct to fly the national flag as the courtesy flag and not the maritime flag (e,g, Spain, Malta), but the correct courtesy flag for nearly all other countries is their National Maritime Flag (which may or may not be the same as their national flag).

Nice and straight forward isn't it

There are whole sections dedicated to international code, signals & flag etiquette within all internationally recognised Deck Officer training programs. If you search the IMO conventions or consult a professional vexillologist (if you can find one!) you will see how deep the rabbit hole goes

cheers,
The Flag Police

PS the correct courtesy flag for the UK is the red ensign and not the union flag. When you think about this, it makes sense; the primary rule for courtesy flags is not to cause offense and to pay tribute to the hosts. Therefore flying as your courtesy flag the flag worn by local boats can hardly ever be considered offensive.
Actually if one is gonna be totally correct the only vessels entitled to fly the 'Red Duster' are those vessels with Part 1 Merchant Marine Registry....
As 90% or more of leisure vessels are SSR they are technically flying an inappropriate flag...
fortunately its a Liberal Society we live in so the 'Lord Nelson' principle rules....

Old 19-05-2011, 12:10   #56
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my flaG IS PLaced with string.... i dont have the fancy dancy attachment thingies...LOl. and i dont fly my own ..... not until obummer gives me the raises he has withheld for 3 yrs......retroactively, thankyou.....and i dont have a Q yet.... oops..... i do go tmexican one.....is flying....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 12:18   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my flaG IS PLaced with string.... i dont have the fancy dancy attachment thingies...LOl. and i dont fly my own ..... not until obummer gives me the raises he has withheld for 3 yrs......retroactively, thankyou.....and i dont have a Q yet.... oops..... i do go tmexican one.....is flying....
Zee... just buy a yellow bra.... you can dual purpose then...

Old 19-05-2011, 12:23   #58
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ty--working on that part.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 12:29   #59

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
just buy a yellow bra.... you can dual purpose then
What a great idea. I can whip off my yellow bikini top, send it up the halyard, and I bet I won't be left waiting to be checked out--opps, I mean checked in.
Old 19-05-2011, 12:43   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

I really like the Pan Celtic Flag, wonder if that would serve for Isle of Man, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Brittany, and Cornwall.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flags