Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 14:51   #1

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway
Jib Furler Broke - Now What ?

Hello All! I am pretty new to sailing and need a bit of guidence on this. THe tube that extends upward on my jib furler snaped in half. I jsut saw this sailing the other day. I don't think the tube is repairable, but do you know if I can purchae this part by itself, or can I only buy the whole system? There are no marking on it wehat so ever, but doing some reserch it appears it my unit is a profurl brand unit.

How hard is this to replace? Is this something to leave to an expert, or can I fix myself? I am pretty handy and can fix about anything on land, so I assume this whould not be too difficult.

TIA for all your help!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0052.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	27994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0053.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	27995  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0054.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	27996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0055.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	27997  

mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 15:12   #2

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
Re: jib furler broke, now what

find out who makes it and go to them for replacement parts. good luck...Ed
Old 02-06-2011, 15:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: jib furler broke, now what

The tubing comes in sections... just need two replacement tubes...
Can do it yourself... but you'll need help..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 15:40   #4

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The tubing comes in sections... just need two replacement tubes...
Can do it yourself... but you'll need help..
This is true, but the devil is in the details.

The sail will need to be removed and the forestay and roller furling will need to be taken off the boat before the tubes can be replaced.
Be sure to use the main halyard to act as an interm support for the mast by attaching to the bow. More than one person has disconnected the forestay and watched as the mast toppled over.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 15:58   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsapo View Post
Hello All! I am pretty new to sailing and need a bit of guidence on this. THe tube that extends upward on my jib furler snaped in half. I jsut saw this sailing the other day. I don't think the tube is repairable, but do you know if I can purchae this part by itself, or can I only buy the whole system? There are no marking on it wehat so ever, but doing some reserch it appears it my unit is a profurl brand unit.

How hard is this to replace? Is this something to leave to an expert, or can I fix myself? I am pretty handy and can fix about anything on land, so I assume this whould not be too difficult.

TIA for all your help!

Brian
G'Day Brian,

That doesn't look like the standard Pro Furl to me. The basket on the drum looks like the one on my staysail furler, and it is a Facnor (another French OEM). You might look at their website and compare... There should be no problem in getting a replacement foil section if the manufacturer is still in business. In fact, many riggers will have extra bits left over from installations that didn't require all the sections that are supplied in the standard kit. Once you have identified the unit a few calls might locate one in your area.

How did this breakage come about? First time I have seen such an injury.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 02-06-2011, 16:09   #6

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway

Thank you all! I don't mind doing some research and legwork, just needed to be put in the right direction. I started to read some of the profurl manuals to get an understanding of how these work. I may be able to machine a coller and set screws to make this right. if it doesn't appear the that will be rebust enough I will start to call around to some of the boatyards to get some quotes. I hope they don't mind me watching them so that i learn....

Jim, not sure how this happened, to me it looks like it has been this way for quite sometime, and I have only had the boat 7 months. It does expalin why furling even in light winds was not smooth. You would pull on teh line and it would be very hard, then easy, then hard.
Thanks again All!

Brian
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 16:09   #7

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Can't really see from the pix but if this is one of the furlers with a swageless eye, it is not all that easy to get the wire seated correctly. You'll need to order a couple of new seats and cones because it's easy to ruin them if you haven't done this before.

As far as being hard to operate, stopping and starting I found that inadequate tension on the headstay is usually the culprit.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 16:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: jib furler broke, now what

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
This is true, but the devil is in the details.

The sail will need to be removed and the forestay and roller furling will need to be taken off the boat before the tubes can be replaced.
Be sure to use the main halyard to act as an interm support for the mast by attaching to the bow. More than one person has disconnected the forestay and watched as the mast toppled over.
ROFL... true...
But the hard bit is getting it back up without bending/dislodging the foils... as I discovered in Oriental with my Cherubini 37...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler