Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2017, 13:20   #1

Boat: Moody 425
Flag on backstay

We're considering moving our flag (USA) from the arch to the backstay. Has anyone hoisted their flag to the backstay. If so, how did you raise/lower it
Thanks
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 13:32   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Flag on backstay

Attach a small block to the stay or arch, & run things just as on a flag pole. Seizings work quite well for attaching such blocks. And there are even cleats designed to be mounted on stays for this, albeit usually on shrouds, not the backstay. Some of it has to do with flag ettiquite.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 15:34   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I just had one put on, 2/3 of the way up the port aft shroud, a block up top of course and a cleat down below, haven't even hoisted a flag yet.

Trying to decide the best way to attach the flag to the halyard
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 06:06   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I just had one put on, 2/3 of the way up the port aft shroud, a block up top of course and a cleat down below, haven't even hoisted a flag yet.

Trying to decide the best way to attach the flag to the halyard
We use teak pegs, about three inches long, cut from a dowel that will easily pass through the flag grommets. Drill a small hole through the mid-point on the pegs, pass your halyard line through that and tie a small figure of eight knot on the end of the line. The simply pass the pegs through the flag grommets and you're good to go.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 13:58   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I ended up with SS bolt snaps and ran the line through the loop and over the body of the snap like this
http://www.flagdesk.com/blog/how-to-...to-halyard/235

However I can see how the wooden pegs would be better cause they are so light, where the SS bolt snaps are not.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 18:40   #6

Attaching the flag to the halyard is not my issue. I was wondering was type of arrangement others have used for the physical connection of the block and the cleat on the backstay. Uncivilized mentioned seizing. I'm wondering what other methods may be available to me.
Old 28-08-2017, 19:03   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Drill a hole in a block of wood, metal, or FRP plate. Band saw in half. Drill holes through two halves for bolts to connect them to one another, so that the unit can be clamped around the backstay. Attach block to clamping plate.

Or, wrap the backstay with a few wraps of friction or electrical tape, & use a couple of hose clamps to gently attach the block, or block mounting "bracket" to the stay.

That said, seizings are virtually free, & take 5min. at most to do. Unlike other methods. Not to mention they've worked for centuries. Including in lieu of mechanical wire terminals & swages. Which, on historical vessels, the rigging is still held together/up by them in this manner.

What kind of alternative attachment method exactly are you looking for?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 10:00   #8

Not necessarily looking for an alternative attachment. But after abandoning the idea of using the backstay for my horn I wondered how to put the flag there without damaging the stay. So I was wondering what others have done and how well it worked.