Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2022, 19:55   #1

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Elegant Reefing Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
Thanks. Yes, I know many people are great fans of single-line reefing systems but I'm not I'm afraid. I find them too temperamental. Too many components that all have to work perfectly or nothing does and they lack versatility.

Not a fan of single line reefing but a two line system works pretty well
Old 28-02-2022, 22:41   #2

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
I'm looking to upgrade our reefing system and am looking for feedback on what people are doing, what works and what doesn't. Something really easy and elegant. Specifically I am looking for ways to secure the tack, without using a downhaul line and without using a reefing horn or hook. I want one person to be able to go to the mast and secure the tack quickly, easily and securely at sea. This is for a 50' sloop, so it has to be strong. I'm thinking something made out of UHMWPE probably?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
I agree with AKA and I don't like the idea of going to the mast to reef. A single line is more complicated than it needs to be. It also means you have more lose line to deal with.

KISS principal might be considered elegant?, a 2 line reef system is pretty simple and can be done without turning upwind and you can set or shake a reef from the helm.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:29   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

^^ This. It is useful to have a way to pull the luff down, particularly reefing off the wind.

I have single-line reefing on my PDQ and I'm not wild about it. It works fine, but the friction could be less. I rig the third reef using two lines.

A common downfall of many "line" reefing systems, though, is that they do not hold the tack forward against the pull of the outhaul. On my F-24 I have a line that is lead through blocks on the mast that pull forward and down, and it works with the cunningham or any reef. The blocks float on a strop.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:20   #4

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
^^ This. It is useful to have a way to pull the luff down, particularly reefing off the wind.
A common downfall of many "line" reefing systems, though, is that they do not hold the tack forward against the pull of the outhaul. On my F-24 I have a line that is lead through blocks on the mast that pull forward and down, and it works with the cunningham or any reef. The blocks float on a strop.

yes, a solution as a line guide attached to the mast below the level of the boom, so that the forward reef line pulls slightly forward
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 17:41   #5

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/cusco/Desktop/Reef%20Lines.jpg[/IMG]
file:///C:/Users/cusco/Desktop/Reef%20Winch.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reef Lines.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	254120

I'm having trouble uploading jpg attachments, so I'll make this simple.

Single line jiffy reefing is where one line brings down the tack and clew reefing lines simultaneously. It's fine for a small mainsail, not a big one! I have a Marshall 22 catboat with a 388 sq. ft. gaff rigged mainsail. I use a separate tack reef line and a separate clew reef line for each of two reefs. This lets me adjust draft in the foot of the mainsail by easing the clew reef line. I can depower upwind and power up on the reaches just by adjusting tension in the clew reef line.

The lines lead forward to two double blocks attached to a strap that goes around the mast. The strap has a double block on each end and slides around the mast following the boom. The four reefing lines lead to the double blocks on the strap and back to Spinlock cleats and self tailing winches on the cabin house at the front end of the cockpit. I ease my throat and peak halyards to drop the luff of the main. Crank in the tack reef and then the clew reef. Then rehoist the main halyards to tension the luff and clew. Everything is done from the safety of the cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reef Winch.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	254121  
nrx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:42   #6

Boat: Ta Shing Baba 40

Quote:
I was not a fan of single line reefing systems until... I stitched quality blocks onto the sail at the reef points and went to a small Guage dyneema line for the reef lines. I then marked my main halyard at the places for a perfect reef where the front blocks would be positioned right above the boom internal blocks, also marked the reef lines.

Now it's a dream even under heavy strain I can easily reef from within the cockpit no guessing no finicky jams, just grind the reef line down until the mark on the main halyard is at the clutch and clutch it then grind down until the reef line mark is at the clutch.
Mad Multi is offline   Reply With Quote